Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
So after seeing the watch faces offered on the Android Wear watches, I am getting so bored with watch faces we have, There is such a lack in imagination as far as making more realistic designs and with Apple blocking designers from giving us more, I just have days where I am getting bored with what we have.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
me! I find most of them crap, only switch between a totally clean 'simple' face (just the hands) and the 'modular' when I'm working and need to keep track of things.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Quite easy, Just like when most people have multiple watches, you like to change things up.... But our few "Actual Watch Faces" are so basic.... I hate to say but Android Wear spanks Apple on that part of the watch. Many people I know would like more realistic looking faces (One reason the Hermes Watch is so nice)

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Quite easy, Just like when most people have multiple watches, you like to change things up.... But our few "Actual Watch Faces" are so basic.... I hate to say but Android Wear spanks Apple on that part of the watch. Many people I know would like more realistic looking faces (One reason the Hermes Watch is so nice)
I've complained about the lack of watch faces and typically stick to modular with about three different modular faces. I've deleted most of the stock. Why Apple doesn't have more is beyond me. I'm not buying proprietary concerns. The money they could be making by offering more faces for us to buy seems so obvious.

Lack of colors on most faces is also boring to me. Photos without any option for complications is the oddest one to me. I would use photos if they allows complications.

Maybe it is just me and I am in the minority but I don't get it. I like to change things up beside my 7 bands.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I would definitely like to see fresh watch faces. I basically only use modular as the other options don't have complications or some are far less useful

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Having a section in the store to buy or download free faces would be great. I feel though Apple doesn't want the copyright headache that will create when developers submit lots of real face copies.

So the only real option is for Apple to allow side loading of faces like Google has with their watches. But this means Apple wont get a 30% cut on the ones that do sell for money.

I imagine they're having long discussions about this at Apple HQ with lawyers and such.

Reactions: C7 POWER

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
For me modular and photo is all I need. It is either functional, lots of info in multiple mudular, or clean photos of my loves. Getting everything I need to know, or seeing what I loves, there could be a lot of thing I want, but what else do I need?

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Complications on photos:

I want to see pictures of my wife, not pictures of my wife with the weather, moon phase, date, laundry timer, and activity rings blocking my view.

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
No.

It looks like an Apple Watch, in the same way that my diver looks like a Seiko diver, or my Citizen looks like a Citizen, etc.

Why do I need to make the Apple Watch look like something else?
I don't want it to look like something else. I want it to look like an Apple Watch with more faces to choose from. Pretty simple request. Apple needs to step it up in the face department.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Thats what I was going to say, I am not wanting to make the watch look like anything else, Just want some more realistic faces and more options.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
I only use modular with different colors depending on my mood. I want to see the date and time, along with my calendar, the weather and my activity rings. I also added the battery level to keep track of how fast it is draining. As others have said, if I had a photo on my Watch face, it would not work with words on top of it, so the value of owning a "smart watch" would be diminished.

I have several mechanical watches and if I want to see a boring analog face, I can wear one of them. Since buying my Watch, the rest of mine just sit on my dresser collecting dust and I have no desire to make my Watch look like any of them.

TxWatch

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Since buying my Watch, the rest of mine just sit on my dresser collecting dust and I have no desire to make my Watch look like any of them.

TxWatch

Same here, I have 2 Movados and about 7 Fossils, and now they are all dead because since launch day, none have come out of my watch case.

nightcap965

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
Cape Cod
I must be missing something. I've got a bunch of watch faces to choose from, and many can be modified with complications. I quickly settled on the color Modular face. What more do I need?

Reactions: jaymc

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Thats what I was going to say, I am not wanting to make the watch look like anything else, Just want some more realistic faces and more options.
The smartwatch faces I've seen that try to imitate complex dials with shimmering textures end up looking terrible and cheap. A flat electronic display just isn't going to get the same depth that a traditional dial can achieve.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
If you're bored with watch faces (much less with the AW), that's an indication you're expecting too much from it. Really no different from all the "I'm bored with the iPhone" threads. Treat it as a tool, not a form of entertainment/something to engage your mind (which is what hobbies are for).

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
If you're bored with watch faces (much less with the AW), that's an indication you're expecting too much from it. Really no different from all the "I'm bored with the iPhone" threads. Treat it as a tool, not a form of entertainment/something to engage your mind (which is what hobbies are for).
I disagree. One if the main selling points if the AW is changeable watch faces. I would have thought we'd have seen a few more by now.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
I disagree. One if the main selling points if the AW is changeable watch faces. I would have thought we'd have seen a few more by now.
I have to agree with this. I am definitely not bored with the watch. I love it actually. However, it really is a personal device and to me, that means personal preferences and variety. I am fine with the faces they have, but I would like more variety.

To say someone must be bored with the watch because they want more personal choices is a big leap. I like some of the other watch faces besides modular but most are stuck with color hands and white complications.

An example I would like is similar to the chronograph face with the inner circles showing battery life or activity or steps or heart rate summary. Just an example of personal choices that are not proprietary.

Like I said, I may be in the minority, but I do want more personal choices but love the watch.

Reactions: C7 POWER
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.