Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I'm sure we'll get more watch faces with the next OS and I'm sure they're working on a system for third party faces, however I feel they have more important things to focus in regards to improving the watch. Let's see what happens in March.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
If you want more watch face than what tons is offer right now, probably is not you are bore of watch, but it is because your life is not full pack and exciting enough to help you experience fun of socializing with real people/living thing for most of day, and use watch as, well watch. I could barely keep up with thing I need to do in my life.
This is a watch, not a pet, not a dog, not children, not a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, hence, not a living thing, it does not have to have 1,000 dress/suit/jean.

Last edited:

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
The possibilities with the existing set of faces run pretty deep when you consider how much you can customize the colors and complications... especially if you use apps that let you customize the complications they offer. I think it's a good mix of high information faces (ones with multiple complications) low information faces that are beautiful to look at, and few that are just cool to play with. Yes there could always be more (and I'm sure they will add more motion and Timelapse faces), but how many do you really need? Until recently just about every watch sold on the planet offered only the face you bought it with.

I find that I mostly rotate between just a few faces anyway. For a long time Utility and Modular were my favorites for times during the day when I need to be productive and stay informed. Currently i'm really liking the Color face with complications for weather, calendar, tasks and activity rings. Other times, like when I get home and don't need so much information, I will switch to a more relaxing watch face (Photo Album, single photo), or to a fun one like Motion, Astronomy or Solar. For the photo faces it really helps to select and crop photos that will look good on the watch. I totally agree with the decision to not put complications on the faces that are designed to show off photos or motion. That said it would never hurt to have the option. I could see complications working fine with certain photos.

I am sure that there will one day be a way to get even more watch faces, but for me it's really not something I ever think about. If i had more options I would probably still stick with the ones I already use the most: Color, Utility, Modular, Photo/Photo Album and Motion.

Sean

Reactions: jaymc

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
If you want more watch face than what tons is offer right now, probably is not you are bore of watch, but it is because your life is not full pack and exciting enough to help you experience fun of socializing with real people/living thing for most of day, and use watch as, well watch. I could barely keep up with thing I need to do in my life.
This is a watch, not a pet, not a dog, not children, not a wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, hence, not a living thing, it does not have to have 1,000 dress/suit/jean.
So because someone wants more watch faces on their smartwatch they must not have a real life? Quite a leap there. The Macrumors Apple Defense League (MADL for short) is pretty entertaining sometimes.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
So because someone wants more watch faces on their smartwatch they must not have a real life? Quite a leap there. The Macrumors Apple Defense League (MADL for short) is pretty entertaining sometimes.

It's one thing to wish Apple would come out with more faces but another thing to say you're actually bored with them. We've seen this many times with the "I'm bored with the iPhone" threads in which members tried to treat their iPhones as a dedicated hobby to disastrous results.

Reactions: Armen

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I still find it funny that the only other face that displays as many complications as Modular is called Simple. ;)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1450984802.595809.jpg

Reactions: jgelin and sean000

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
ummm, what? This literally makes no sense. If it isn't alive, you can't be bored or prefer more choices? You can't be bored with basic cable or local channels? Music choices? If you are, you have no life? If you aren't bored, you aren't, but if you are bored, you are a loser who needs a life like yours?

Literally hurting my brain trying to understand your logic. My watch is not a dog? Lol

Reactions: g-7 and WarHeadz

WarHeadz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2015
Long Beach, California
ummm, what? This literally makes no sense. If it isn't alive, you can't be bored or prefer more choices? You can't be bored with basic cable or local channels? Music choices? If you are, you have no life? If you aren't bored, you aren't, but if you are bored, you are a loser who needs a life like yours?

Literally hurting my brain trying to understand your logic. My watch is not a dog? Lol
Yeah it must have taken some serious mental gymnastics to come up with tripe like that.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

It just means if you're bored by these things, you need to get out more and pursue a real hobby.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Definitely needs to be more options to customise the digital faces. It's as though a lot of thought went into the analogue faces, but the digital ones were really just an afterthought. Just being able to display seconds would be a start.

BlueMoon63

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2015
Yeah it must have taken some serious mental gymnastics to come up with tripe like that.
I get it when someone doesn't agree with the word bored and I appreciate their responses. But taking it to the point that unless my watch is alive, you can't be bored with it or you suck? ;) I think the
It just means if you're bored by these things, you need to get out more and pursue a real hobby.
It's a huge leap between bored or interested in more watch faces than needing a real hobby. Apple labels the watch as their most personal device yet. Anyone interested in more watch faces just wants more personalization. That's all...

I understand both sides of the word "bored" and people are taking it way too literal. If you don't agree with their view, you are lazy, need a life, loser, etc. Just for wanting more personal choices on a personal device. :)

Have anyone wanted more cable or satellite channel choices or more personal channel choices? If you say it out loud, do you think people should say you need a life and the cable box isn't like a dog?

Anyway, I digress. I understood the question. I would like more personal choices and I think the current choices are stale. But that is just my opinion. Doesn't mean I need a life or a dog. :)

Reactions: VFC

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

I am not saying you can't be bored.
I am saying if you have to be bored with non-living thing, you probably don't have enough interactive to living thing in your daily life.

Give more love to living thing, specially during holiday, and less bored for playing too much with non-living thing.

But, if you choose to play with non-living thing long enough to get bored, it is your choice and your life.

jasie02

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014

I did not said "they did not have real life", quote and quote. You say it here.

All I am saying is better to love living thing than play with non-living thing until it is bored.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Lol my wife and I have pets, you mean my watch isn't alive?? :)

And as I've said twice, I'm not bored with the watch, just with the watch face options.

Reactions: Ladyc0524

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
False. Apple specifically called/still calls the Apple Watch their most personal device yet, so it should be highly customizable in order to fit everyones personality.

Sure, it has the most different configurations of any Apple devices to date, including multiple different bands and watch faces. Just because someone wants 100 different watch faces doesn't change this.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Definitely bored. They could even give us the custom backgrounds that we have already, but allow us to add more glances (is that what they are called?) like on the Modular face. Give us a grid that we can choose which spots to use and what to put into each little field. I would just be happy with that.

Mac2me

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2015
I tend to like simplistic, classical watch faces and so I seem to switch off between Utility, Simple and Modular (for when I need complications) and skip the rest. Occasionally I may still pull up Mickey. I would LOVE to see more looks in the hands (shapes), numbers (type face) and position of numbers and variations for the minute marks (like choosing dots, lines). I can't see spending the price for a Hermes just to get the numbers to follow the rectangle of the face and I'm not exactly in love with the type face used anyway. There should be lots of possibilities for faces with these options. What ever happened to the watch kit for developers? I thought that was something that after being released we'd see new faces hit the scene fairly quickly.

As for a compatible face option for Modular...sure maybe different text and other possibilities for complications would be nice.

In general I'd love to have more options for type faces for the numbers and text. All the other gimmicky stuff like motion and photos just holds no appeal so I feel it's pretty limiting right now.

Last edited:

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
One of the cleanest watch faces out there, copied from my Seiko SKX009. It's not that bad because it's basically 2-D and doesn't have any interesting textures. I like the circles, and I like how the minute and hour hands are shaped differently. I had been wearing this watch pretty much every day partly because of how legible it is.

But, like I said before, I don't think it matches the style of the Apple Watch. I've seen some other ideas that look kinda cool, but they're usually distracting, too complex, or simply not easy to read. At least Apple made a clean font for the digits on the photo faces.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1451190284.480564.jpg

Reactions: WarHeadz

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
More would be nice. But the fact that you can change small details with the current ones has been great. The thing I want the least is more realistic ones.

TxWatch

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2015
Texas
After reading this thread, I tried a few more Watch faces and I think they have done an adequate job with a first generation device. In the past, I would agonize over which Tag or Citizen watch face I really wanted because I knew I would be stuck with it for years.

With my Apple Watch, I hardly even thought about the face because there were plenty of choices and more in the works. It's funny how a smart watch has changed the concept of a face and how fast we get bored with all the color, style and complication choices. :rolleyes:

I am sure they will open it up in the future, but I am fine with the ones they have now.

TxWatch

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.