Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
As an owner of a GS3, and a Nexus 4. I find myself really missing the iPhone as of late. The simplicity, and ease of use of iOS on my iPad has me missing this on my phone. I think an LTE enabled Nexus 4 that didn't get hot as the sun every time I either charge, or run basic apps would be perfect. I never thought I'd have withdrawals after all this, but I really think iOS is a truly great mobile OS. Can't wait for a mid summer iPhone 5 launch! :cool:

gregrose

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
Almost went android phone. Got the nexus 7 & love it. But it just doesn't run that smoothly & the apps / games aren't polished feeling. Decided to get iPhone 5 & man this phone flies... LTE is amazing As well, overall both are great options but for me - everyone I know has iPhone & I group text a lot. So I stuck with it

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
At this point, not missing the iPhone at all. Constantly discovering new apps/tweaks that make the phone even more functional and fun to use.

Siyah

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2013
Got the note 2. Nice phone overall, but realized that Android is not for me. Also, IMHO, iOS and the iPhone hardware offers a more modest but higher quality user experience. The joy of not being a fanboy of either brand is priceless:D

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Sometimes I pick up my friends iPhone 5 and flick through the homescreens, jump into an app or two, but I feel no attachment to it. After using every iPhone except the 3GS it's still just a phone to me, and after discovering a phone that allows me to do what I want because I accept the consequences I couldn't go back.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I initially missed my iPhone when I first got a Nexus, but as I got more used to how android worked the less I missed the iPhone. There were things that the iPhone did better and there's no getting around that. There are things that Android does better then the iOS - it all depends on your priorities.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
I've tried Android a few times and as much as I wanted it to stick I just never could get there. At the end of the day it just isn't as polished an experience as ios and the additional features of android weren't enough, for me, to justify the move.

This is a very personal choice and far too often we forget that.

Last edited:

gwerhart0800

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Loveland, CO
I am starting to get used to Android ...

I have been using a Nexus 4 for a bit over a month. I am finally getting used to it. Overall, I still think the iPhone is a better experience, BUT, there are two bits that Android has that I can't duplicate on an iPhone (to my knowledge):

1. Divide ... this is an app that sets up a virtual machine like instance that allows me to separate my personal "phone" from my "work" phone. I can switch between the two with two taps of the home button. I find this to be a huge improvement to the direct integration of a corporate Exchange account offered in both the iPhone and native Android OSs.

2. DND Call Blocker ... somehow, my cell number became a target of phone spammers. On a single day (before I installed this app), I got 20 spam phone calls. With DND, I have specified that I only want callers on my contact list to ring through ... everyone else goes to voicemail immediately.

After using these apps for a while, I am not sure that I can go back to an iPhone without them ... I could maybe deal without having Divide, but I can't stand the idea of getting pounded by the SPAM phone calls.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
an iPhone feels like a cheap kids toy to me.

Compared to what? The Nexus 4 is made from premium materials, but BOY does it get HOT! I love my S3, but it's just made from plastic(polycarbonate).

Knowimagination

macrumors 68020
Apr 6, 2010
I miss it a little but I am actually really happy with my nexus 4. The things I miss about the iPhone are pretty much all convenience based. I miss iMessage and silly enough I miss emoji as well.

Rig now though I love the big screen and I think the keyboard is way better on my nexus 4 than on the iPhone. I'll see what iOS 7 and the next iPhone bring but for now I am happy with the Nexus.

FlexPen76

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
I miss it a little but I am actually really happy with my nexus 4. The things I miss about the iPhone are pretty much all convenience based. I miss iMessage and silly enough I miss emoji as well.

Rig now though I love the big screen and I think the keyboard is way better on my nexus 4 than on the iPhone. I'll see what iOS 7 and the next iPhone bring but for now I am happy with the Nexus.

You can get emoji by installing and enabling the iWnn IME keyboard from the language and input settings on the device settings.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Nope. At least not with the nexus 4. I use the polished apps recommended by the forums and android blogs which actually look much nicer than the ones I used on ios. The nexus is smooth, heck it is so smooth I don't believe I am using an android device. And every single thing I do on my iPhone I do on my nexus, but it feels more "fluid" thanks to how 4.2.2 and apps integrate.

Also battery life is pretty good. I like how IM+ uses GCM (google's answer to apple's push server) and in push mode it sips the battery just like on the iPhone.

And reading PDFs is such a joy on nexus. The wider chassis makes it so much better.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
i miss nothing about the os. i do not miss verizon's ******** charges. i especially do not miss the small screen. i DO miss the breadth of quality apps and the simple fact that developers pay way more attention to ios than android; i'm looking at you, nike.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
i miss nothing about the os. i do not miss verizon's ******** charges. i especially do not miss the small screen. i DO miss the breadth of quality apps and the simple fact that developers pay way more attention to ios than android; i'm looking at you, nike.

While true, I have found some great breathtaking apps (some also recommended in a thread here).

Some of them were almost $5 but I paid for them after trying the lite versions. Some devs on android actually pay the same attention you see on ios. Too bad the number of such devs is smaller.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Nope. Not at all. I can't see myself leaving my nexus 4 anytime soon. The only think I keep iOS around for is my tablet and mp3 player. Android is perfect for my phone. The nexus 4 feels absolutely perfect in my hand, design is superb and the keyboard is the best I've ever used. I can't see myself leaving this phone for anything.

mrskullfreak

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
michigan north detroit
I bought my note 2 two weeks ago and very happy with it.
Might get the s4 also if its a big step up from the s3...
But I still lov apple products also I just need a bigger screen..

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Can't say that I am.

I am still figuring out which Android phone is the right one, but one thing I know for sure is that the iPhone isn't for me anymore. Not without some drastic changes from Apple.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
As an owner of a GS3, and a Nexus 4. I find myself really missing the iPhone as of late. The simplicity, and ease of use of iOS on my iPad has me missing this on my phone. I think an LTE enabled Nexus 4 that didn't get hot as the sun every time I either charge, or run basic apps would be perfect. I never thought I'd have withdrawals after all this, but I really think iOS is a truly great mobile OS. Can't wait for a mid summer iPhone 5 launch! :cool:

Btw midsummer is a stretch, try September or October instead.

I really think if you are getting withdrawals, you should immediately get an iPhone 5. Nothing is worse than hating your daily driver device. Moving forward, all you are going to do is hate it more and find more negatives. Find your happy spot and enjoy it instead.

Just a sincere advice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.