Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
In 7th grade I asked a lot of questions of the computer teacher, and participated in the Computer Club after school. By 8th grade, I was assisting the teachers with software and hardware problems at school and home. This same year, I started my own business to handle it. We had a science fair at school my 8th grade year, and I did a study of computers. I used the Apple][+ as my display, and had my mom come to the school to film me doing a video. In the video I took apart an LC III, and LC 580, and a PowerMac 5200 and pointed out all the parts, and how they work.

My freshmen year of high school, I was put into the advanced Information Technology class (basically the District's Computer Repair shop), and the teacher/Director of IT wouldn't allow me in on the first day. It took the vice principal, who put me in the class to convince the teacher that I was not placed in the class by mistake. My sophomore year, the class had been eliminated, and the IT department was moved to another school, however I did an independent study doing repairs on systems at the high school. As a result, the rest of my time there, I would routinely be pulled out of class by various teachers and administrators to help (as IT was over worked). That same year I began working for the school newspaper class and by the end of the year I was running all the technology aspects of the newspaper. My Junior year I was asked to join the yearbook, and at that point I had two classes each term where I was basically in charge of small network nodes connected to the main network, as well as several smaller local-talk systems. Whenever I'm home, I continue to get teachers calling me for help, because there is no one on the Island that they can trust.

TEG

pink-pony115

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2006
U.S
My dad can work his dell.

My mom can't pug in a USB wire.

I can work my mac.

Somebody at my school spread a true rumor about me being a mac freak.
In the long run the student body knows my specs: iBook G4 12''
Everybody knows I'm a techie.

Here is the neverending list of my fellow clients.
Teachers
Parents
Relatives
Mother's friends
Friends
Father's friends
Friend's parents
My boss
Various others

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I'm the only one in my family, I don't mind sorting out problems its when my sister says can you put my holiday from the camera onto the computer, or can you do this for me! I will show her once make her write it down and then thats it. If someone says what computer should I buy or i can't get this to work, Then I will help them. especially if they going to buy apple related products!

mikes63737

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005
Ya, I am too. Well, my aunts and uncles are too, but they live in Buffalo, Washington DC, and NYC... not exactly "local".

And unlike some of you who just keep it all to yourself, I get punished if I don't fix it. And then everyone in my house acts like they're so smart and then they demand that I find them the cheapest computer. "Us ain't be neeeedinnnn' no tekk support... Mike be fixin dem for us fur freeeee. Cuz he aint got no homewurk ur nuttin mor 'portant to do. Our $400 Dell laptohps ain't zactly cheep... dell makes much bettur komputrs dan appul..... and can u bild me a kumputr for lss dan $200 my tommorrow kk thx!" Yeah, that crap. And, I absolutely hate "why cant you print a 400" by 800" of this picture??" "because it's only a 2.3 megapixel camera and it'll look stretched out and pixelated, which means it'll look like lots of little squares on the paper and blah blah blah" "so??".......... it never ends!

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Besides my father (who doesnt live with us) I am the only techy one in the family by far! Mum always messes her computer up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.