Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal67

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2006
West Oz
My Note 10.1 has replaced my laptop quite well... Why? Because I can do a real multitasking and use windows side by side - and it is easy to use BT keyboard and mouse if im going to write long text/writing code/editing html etc. Still it cannot replace a laptop totally, because I use some specific apps by a laptop that doesnt exist for tablets. Also when writing an article or powerpoint presentation by my Note I still have to edit them in a computer to get the final version... But that can change.

Im really waiting to see Surface Pro 3 IRL because it is a full operating system, but I want to know how well it runs some specific programs. My Note offers me something that my laptop cannot offer - i can easily do sketches and add them to presentations etc. I rarely use papers at work, I use my Note for everything. What comes to iPad, it was more for fun. I didnt feel that it was a productive tool, it was more for leisure use. I sold it because iPad Air had some serious bugs and didnt want to wait and see if they are fixed with iOS8 or not. I probably get the second generation Air when it comes, but for now im more interested in SP3 (i7/8gb/256gb/pen).

Get the os10 experience onto the ipad and/or just adding some connectors such as usb 3 and a sd card reader would be an improvement. Alternatively bring the apps environment over to a touch based Air style computer which has a detachable screen and equally this would be just as interesting. For me personally the current iphone is too small to be a genuine tablet replacer while the ipads lack hard connectivity to be overwhelmingly a notebook replacer. Anyway my 2c

phuocsandiego

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2012
Why, just because you don't want one? I want one, like yesterday, you can give your opinion, but you cannot speak for everyone, oh, and when they come out, watch how many useless "Phablets" they sell!
If you have APPL stock, as I do, you'll laugh all the way-to the Bank
Useless indeed! NOT!
The way people throw around the fact they have Apple stock, like it validates their argument more than anyone else's, makes me laugh.

Who cares?

You're right; they're boasting/bragging. Not only is it not cool but they add nothing to the discussion.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
They are far from useless.

Nevertheless, my The new iPad from Spring 2012 rarely gets used. Maybe once every two weeks.

Obviously, my iPhone is used throughout the day, every day. Plus, I love my desktop.

Again, far from useless, but I would say that tables aren't as useful as your main computer or iPhone.

This - not useless, but definitely the least important out of smartphone/tablet/computer. My use case for my ipad is just situations in which a laptop is too big and an iphone is too small, and that isn't many situations. Pretty much for reading books or when on a treadmill/elliptical machine (for video).

terryblyth

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2008
Walton-on-Thames, UK
I've got use for both iOS devices, as well as a Mac. Although my Mac is getting used less and less, so that'll probably be the first to go.

I think my next move might be a keyboard case so I don't lose half the screen to the onscreen keyboard, but overall I'm happy with all the options I have; I'd say they're far from useless. (Obviously this is for my own personal needs!)

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Good read. The end of the article sums up my thoughts exactly:

Op-Ed: Tablets really are the new PCs; nobody needs to buy them any more

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/...ying-new-ones/

Apple doesn't have my mobile business, and probably never will.

Weird article.

Its quite obvious, saturation. Why buy an iPad when you already have one? Now that we spend big money on phones and big money on tablets, that affects the budget for PC's, phones and tablets. Tablets were to be the new smartphone?? What? LOL? Different device, different use case.

But to sell news, "Tablets are the new PC" , works.

bri1212

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think they're useless, but I can't think of a single reason why I personally would have to purchase one. On the couch I'd rather use my laptops because, well, they're real computers running real software with a real keyboard. And even if I were just mindlessly surfing the web, why would I want a device that I have to hold the entire frikkin' time? As opposed to my laptop computers that are on my lap while lazying on the couch, feet up, allowing me to read while using my hands for eating, drinking, and other such things. I just don't get it.

But I certainly think they could be useful in certain professions where people need a mobile device for simple tasks, replacing a much heavier laptop.

So I'm not sure why the OP is being berated. I'm sure there are plenty of people to whom a tablet is useless or at least impractical.

Like you say, to each his, or her own. For me, it is just the opposite. I use my ipad for most everything. The only time I use a computer is for actual photoshop editing. I spend a lot of time typing on a bluetooth keyboard, but do almost all of my work, and home usage on my various ipads. I make spreadsheets, write letters, blogs, sales forms, sales orders, customer service contacts, inventories etc.. I am not going to tell you that there are not limitations, but the only real life limitations I have found in my work for the ipad, have to do with Photoshop, and Illustrator. Otherwise, I find the ipad very useful. I prefer to use it over my desktop, and laptop computers, ALMOST 90% of the time. I have from day one not let my ipad be a consumption only or entertainment device, for me it is a workhorse. So although I understand that some people may not find the ipad useful, I find it far from useless.

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
Uh… there are very few things that necessary two-handed operation makes useless. The only one I can think of off-hand would be, like… I don't know, a fork? Even that wouldn't be useless, though. So… I'm not sure I'm getting this.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
The way people throw around the fact they have Apple stock, like it validates their argument more than anyone else's, makes me laugh.

Who cares?

I do, you do not, to clarify my point, the 5.7 will sell , so much so there will be serious backlogs, in the end the 5.7 will lead to even larger phones.
It is not a validation of an argument I mentioned Apple Stock, but when you have record sales it does translate into adding to the bottom line which = $$$$:p
:apple: stock, and profits at the age of 66, has led to a seriously comfortable retirement, I hope you are as successful in planning:rolleyes: yours

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
One thing I will add is that reading eBooks on my iPad Mini is much better than reading them on my Macbook. I'm sure it will be even better once I upgrade to the Retina.

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Tablets are useless....Hmmm....Let me think.

I have been using iPhone 5 for almost 2 years now and while it is a great phone, it lacks proper reading functionality due to the screen size. I have iPad 2 and I am happy that I can browse pages easily, read eBooks, play games at larger screen, and enjoy apps with fresh user interface (I am talking about those apps that are adapted for tablet use, not those apps that are simply get improvement in size & resolution). I can do with my iPad almost everything that my iPhone except for SMS & Phone feature. But nowadays I use messaging apps more than SMS and I can do free call using skype or LINE. So SMS & Phone features of iPhone is getting obsolete by day! I was thinking iPad is imply iPhone or iPod on steroid but using one simply changes my perspective.

Considering the above usage of my portable device I would not say tablet is useless. In fact I think iPad Mini Retina 2 (if it's coming later in 2014) is the most suitable device for me because of the tablet form factor and it still retains portability due to its size. I can buy low-cost phone from XiaoMi as an auxiliary pocket device.

RickTaylor

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2013
I didn't see the point of tablets when Apple first introduced them. It seemed to me they lacked the portability of phones and the power of a laptop, making them a compromise between two devices with the full advantages of neither. If I was going to carry something big enough to require a bag anyway, why not carry a laptop with a keyboard and a desktop operating system?

Two things changed my mind. First, I became interested in reading books and documents that were in pdf format. A laptop didn't seem to be a comfortable way to read a book. I wound up printing them out and placing them in binders, but this was an awkward cluttered process, and I tend to mislay things. I tried getting a kindle eink reader, and while it was fantastic for books designed for that format, converting pdfs to it was an awkward process that didn't always work very well, especially with the formula heavy documents I tended to read.

The second thing that swayed me was the form factor of the iPad mini. I was struck by it when I first saw it, it just looked so right. And it fit comfortably into a pocket of a suit jacket; since I typically wore a suit jacket, effectively for me it was nearly as portable as a phone. I bought it and since then have used it as much as any electronic device I've owned. I try to avoid physical books as much as I can; it's so convenient having my library in my pocket with my all the time. And while my main justification for the iPad is still reading, it is useful for other things. I have a bad sense of direction, and while the GPS on a phone is great, it works better with a screen large enough to see a significant part of the map. It's useful for taking impromptu notes when a laptop might be cumbersome or I don't have a bag with me. And it's useful when waiting in line or in situations where a laptop would be awkward, and phone screen would be frustratingly small.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Two things changed my mind. First, I became interested in reading books and documents that were in pdf format. A laptop didn't seem to be a comfortable way to read a book. I wound up printing them out and placing them in binders, but this was an awkward cluttered process, and I tend to mislay things. I tried getting a kindle eink reader, and while it was fantastic for books designed for that format, converting pdfs to it was an awkward process that didn't always work very well, especially with the formula heavy documents I tended to read.
This is pretty much one of the primary reasons why I wanted a tablet (granted, I already knew 5-7" e-ink is not fit for purpose so I skipped that part). Before Apple even announced the iPad, I've already been wanting a tablet for PDF and comic reading. I've tried expensive Windows-based tablets and they sucked. While I have some UI/UX niggles with iOS, for the most part, Apple had it right and the pricing was just cheap compared to other options available at the time.

Unless someone releases a 7.9-9.7" 4:3 phone, I'd always have a use for tablets. :)

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
A laptop didn't seem to be a comfortable way to read a book.

Exactly. I've been wanting a tablet ever since I got my first laptop, in the early 90s. Every time I tried to do any substantial reading, I'd end up wishing I could take off the keyboard. I did follow the eink readers when they came out, but they were never good about being able to sideload my own content, and then the iPhone came out, and I was like, "good, now if only Apple would make it bigger!" I was so excited when the iPad finally came out, I stood in line to buy it the first day -- I'd never stood in line to buy anything before.

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I do, you do not, to clarify my point, the 5.7 will sell , so much so there will be serious backlogs, in the end the 5.7 will lead to even larger phones.
It is not a validation of an argument I mentioned Apple Stock, but when you have record sales it does translate into adding to the bottom line which = $$$$:p
:apple: stock, and profits at the age of 66, has led to a seriously comfortable retirement, I hope you are as successful in planning:rolleyes: yours

I think you mean 5.5", but a 5.7" would be even MORE awesome!

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
Just to follow up on my other post in this thread.
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19433569#post19433569

For people who think tablets are useless and 100% don't know what tablets are very capable of especially when creating content.

I don't get why people think tablets are only for media consumption but you are very wrong because most people use tablets to create content(advance video/photo editing, office, spreadsheets) especially when you are on the go(traveling) all the time and schools/colleges are giving pupils/students tablets to do all there class work and to learn things and what ever they doing in there college and most students take there tablet instead of there laptop to college.

When i start college, i am going to bring and use my tablet instead of my laptop to college to do all my stuff on it.

Workers like teachers, doctors, builders, office people and more are bringing there tablets to do there work instead of there laptop.

I use my 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia(I5 Core) to make my Youtube videos with Windows Movie Maker with a mouse and a good case with a good keyboard inside but once the programs become more touch friendly i won't be using a mouse for doing things like video editing.

And with the case i can use it like a laptop with my Acer Iconia W700 if i want to.

When i buy the new full size Ipad Air 2 when it comes out in October, i am going to try video editing with Imovie or a different video editor, I could do that on my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 but i can't because the apps like video editors are not good enough compared to the apps on the Ipad App Store.

Tablets are very capable are creating content and they are getting way better at creating content especially Windows 8 tablets!!

I do like the idea of completely ditching my Windows 8 tablet and laptop Windows device and only using the Ipad Air 2(When i buy it) and my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 all the time.

So i could be living a NON Windows device life in the future.

But that is HIGHLY............. unlikely as that day won't come anyway time soon because i like Windows and i am very use to using Windows most of the time and and have been using Windows all my life.

To be honest i think i going to miss Windows very badly if i decide not to use it ever again.

Last edited:

addictzz

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Although I said tablet is good for reading...once I see Kindle I think nothing can beat it in terms of reading. The display is simply superb and cause MUCH less fatigue to eyes.

rrl

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Good enough is the enemy of perfection. Plenty of you that have never owned a large phone before will use your tablets less-and-less if Apple makes a 5.5" iPhone. And everything will be okay.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I think the fact that phone screens are getting bigger and bigger is an indicator that tablets are very useful and people are starting to get tired of puny, useless phone screens. Heck, there are phones with almost six inch screens out there. WTF? It'll be seven inches next year, then eight.

At what point is a huge phone really just a tablet with talk capability?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Although I said tablet is good for reading...once I see Kindle I think nothing can beat it in terms of reading. The display is simply superb and cause MUCH less fatigue to eyes.

For me, eink gives me headache from lack of contrast. The Kindle Paperwhite finally seems to solve the contrast problem, but at this point I'm not carrying another device just to read.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I think the point a lot of people are making is that a tablet is the luxury item here. It is the first one you could happily cull from your list of devices and not really miss at all. It doesn't do anything whatsoever that either a mobile phone, or a laptop can do. It is less portable than a phone and less powerful than a laptop. It's no more portable than a notebook/small laptop and it isn't as useful. For the vast majority of people, it just isn't all that necessary. Who here; if they own a phone, a laptop and a tablet, wouldn't hesitate to lose the tablet if they had to be without one of the three devices on a permanent basis? That says it all really. Sure there will be people who have kids and parents who couldn't possibly operate without their tablets, but for the majority of us it's a luxury item.

Also, who here would own a tablet if Apple didn't make them? How many here bought an iPad purely because they're suckers for Apple products? Would you bother with a Samsung tablet if that's all there was available? Doubtless most would dismiss the Samsung tablet as a 'pointless product' ;-)

Ironically it was Samsung/Android that first enticed me to buy a tablet although for the past year and a half my primary tablet has been an ipad. I first got an iPhone in 2008 and was happy using it. When the iPad came out in 2010 I thought it was pointless, I saw it as just a bigger iPhone and felt that I didn't need it as my iPhone did everything I needed it to do. In 2012 I switched to the original Samsung galaxy note and after that started to see the value in having a larger screened device. In 2012 I got my first tablet, a Samsung galaxy tab 2 10.1 and a few months later the first gen nexus 7. Both devices were good but had flaws. However I was still able to see the potential for a tablet. In 2013 I bought an ipad mini and now have an ipad air. I use my ipad everyday and it's almost replaced my laptop which I now only use about once every 1-2 months. It fulfils about 90% of my computing needs.

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
They're too big and awkward to use after using a smart phone. Being able to do everything one-handed is a huge convenience, and the only comfortable way to use a touch screen.

Far from useless, types the guy on his rMini with his iPhone is in his pocket while waiting on a flight to zoom off.

juanrp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2014
Florida
No, they are wonderful for doing all the things that our phones can't, like make watching videos easier, better for reading, among other things.

They have more screen real estate, and the size isn't really an issue. You can do a lot on an iPhone/other phones, but everything has it's limit. A tablet is very useful in a lot of situations.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I feel the main limitation is that developers still haven't been able to properly reimagine apps for a touchscreen. Where's the equivalent of GarageBand for productivity apps like Photoshop or Final Cut Pro?

You can complain that "oh, the iPad sucks because it can't do this task that I do on my desktop". Perhaps that's because the app for it doesn't yet exist, and it doesn't exist because people don't yet know how to optimise the user interface for touch and direct input.

Give it time, I feel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.