Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
I nearly own, but I do drive

doucy2 said:
i'm just wondering if there are any other mercedes fans/collector/owners out there

I wouldn't call myself a fan-boy (Id much rather get myself a '91 J-Plate Golf Mark II GTi 16v) but I do drive my Dad's from time to time. I placed the order for him - and chose the 'spec :)

2001 E240 (2597cc model) Mercs are heavy - always order at least a V6 under your right foot!!

FireArse

Frank (Atlanta)

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2004
I had 2, but have since sold:

'93 300E
'98 AMG C43

The AMG was unbelievable...tempermental; however, a complete rocket. Fast, comfortable - nothing better for (quickly) eating-up the miles on the highway. Also, it was a complete sleeper - very few hints it was a modded car. And only something like 1,100 +/- were imported to the US - I onl saw 1 other C43 live during the 3 yrs I owned it.

Still have German cars, just not MB's anymore...

BTW, the late 80's/early 90's diesels are absolute workhorses (between the diesel engines and workmanship of the time).

Frank

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
cool guys

no trades this time rdowns lol

i diesel with 165,000 is still in its prime
and most last to 400,000 miles if willl maintained

as for prices paid
5 years ago my dad bought the 87 for $6000 with 140,000 miles on it

and 2 days ago i bought the 83 for $750 with 165,000

i also edited the 1st paragraph and added more info

Suspended
Jun 22, 2001
Not a huge fan, but a pseudo-Mercedes that impresses is the MacLaren-Mercedes SLR. I saw two of them pull up at opposite sides of an intersection in South Ken a few days ago. It must suck to pay that much for a very rare car and then to see one in exactly the same spec across the street.

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
doucy2 said:
Anyone own one
i have 2
MB 83 300D TurboDiesel 165,000 miles cream on browninsh/maroon (not found in the US, import from Germany)

MB 87 300D TurboDiesel 207,000 miles charcoal on grey

both are leather
and im looking to put a system in the 83 (already has new cd player)

i just bought the 83 this week
i'm just wondering if there are any other mercedes fans/collector/owners out there

i would post pics but i have no camera
feel free to post yours

cheers

Time out.

Weren't you just saying a few days ago that you had no idea how you and your family were going to survive financially for the next two months and please buy my stuff so we can survive?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
illegalprelude said:
you might want to check around all your car forums and you will know my name.

Audiworld
M3forum
M5forum
NorthAmericanMotoring
Roadfly
Mini2
Hondatech

I have owned more cars then you can imagine and I know more about then you know. We are talking about the Basic series from MB right there. nothing fancy. nothing sports natured, unlike lets say a 3 series but even at that point, we are talkin about 80's units.

What no Bimmerforums! :eek:

Blasphemy! ;)

heh, I am like you too, I have owned and sold many cars by now. I am actually looking at a low budget Disel, but I think it will be a TDI, as the price is good, and so is cost of keeping it on the road.

Those Mercedes cars are great, a friend of mine ice races his, and uses it as a winter car. With good snow tires, and some Ballast weight, they handle quite well in the snow, and also have great heat!

You won't find 840quadra on that site, I go by something else in the automotive forums I frequent :) .

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
hmm..well I kinda do..

My older brother had one (SLK, W-reg, 2000 i think) in metallic blue. He's switched cars so it's mine now (although I haven't bothered learning how to drive yet so it's pretty useless for me)..

It's in the garage right now but here's a pic from a couple of months ago:

slk_mr.jpg

I'm no big fan of Mercs, although the SL500 is a damned nice car! :eek:

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
asif786 said:
hmm..well I kinda do..

My older brother had one (SLK, W-reg, 2000 i think) in metallic blue. He's switched cars so it's mine now (although I haven't bothered learning how to drive yet so it's pretty useless for me)..

It's in the garage right now but here's a pic from a couple of months ago:

slk_mr.jpg

I'm no big fan of Mercs, although the SL500 is a damned nice car! :eek:
wow very nice i wish i could get something like that
but my 123 diesels will do fine for now

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
Can't say I'd entertain any of the recent Merc's to be honest, I wouldn't mind a W108, in 280SE or 280SEL spec though. :D 4.5 of course ;)

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
iGav said:
Can't say I'd entertain any of the recent Merc's to be honest, I wouldn't mind a W108, in 280SE or 280SEL spec though. :D 4.5 of course ;)

Anyone who knows anything about recent Mercedes wouldn't be putting down their cars from the 80s.

They were built to a standard, not a price.

iGav

macrumors G3
Mar 9, 2002
pseudobrit said:
They were built to a standard, not a price.

I'd agree with that, we had a 190E and an E-Class back in the '80's and the build quality were very, very good... much better than the BMW's of the day for example (for periods we also had an E30 320i and an E28 528i) which were about as well screwed together as Fords of the same era. :eek:

That said, the new A-Class would suggest that Mercedes are trying to return to the good old days, amazingly well screwed together... with almost Audi levels of attention to materials.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
i have a sl600 black metallic exterior, sand interior, 6 litre V12.

no, not really. Only another 20 years.

pseudobrit

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2002
Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
iGav said:
I'd agree with that, we had a 190E and an E-Class back in the '80's and the build quality were very, very good... much better than the BMW's of the day for example (for periods we also had an E30 320i and an E28 528i) which were about as well screwed together as Fords of the same era. :eek:

That said, the new A-Class would suggest that Mercedes are trying to return to the good old days, amazingly well screwed together... with almost Audi levels of attention to materials.

Haven't seen the A in person yet. Let's hope their standards will filter down...er, up through the lineup.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
1998 silver Mercedes-Benz ML-320 SUV... I drive it about once a week. Put 35,000 miles on it the first year-and-a-half I owned it, but only 20,000 more miles in 6 years since then. People still think it's almost a new car.

revenuee

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2003
Verto said:
I just have a thing against Mercedes (owners) since it seems so many of them think that car entitles them to be a$$holes to everyone around them.

But it could just be I come in contact with the worst of people with my job :(

i'm a dick and i drive a honda ;) a$$holes hate dicks ... LOL

edit -- my old man has one ... he's on vacation so i'm err babysitting it for him ... LOL

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
iGary said:
Time out.

Weren't you just saying a few days ago that you had no idea how you and your family were going to survive financially for the next two months and please buy my stuff so we can survive?
Bump :eek: :p for this question...things certainly don't seem to add up :confused: :rolleyes:

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
edesignuk said:
Bump :eek: :p for this question...things certainly don't seem to add up :confused: :rolleyes:
lol well a half million dollar deal fell through with my family and we have accumulated much more debt than that
so at that time money was extramly tight
then the deal was reestablished and set back on terms (still havent gotten $$ yet)
do you have any more personal family questions

but one day i saw this beaust sitting in a used car lot (the 83 300d)
so we kept oging back and asking question and finally i told my father that i was going to buy it then he was like sure just be prepaird to pay around 1500 or more
so we get a price $812 with tax and title included so the next day i hanf them cash and wallah i have a car
now its in the repair shop and getting $300-500 worth of work done

DMPDX

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2005
My neighbor has a 2007 S550. Really fine car. Te rear seats adjust, plus it has the heaviest sony punch sub's in it ive ever heard.

true777

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2000
California, Austria, Arkansas
I used to have 2 identical 2005 C230 Kompressor Sports Coupes, but got rid of one in the meantime.

I don't understand the Mercedes bashing in this forum.
Mine is a pretty entry level Mercedes, and it is the best car I have ever owned. The quality is incredible -- everything is solid. It's a really fantastic car.

Attachments

• car1.JPG
    car1.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 66
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.