Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howard

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2002
i have a few jpgs that are corrupt and i would really like to save them

anyone know if theres a way to get them back?

thanks

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
You could probably get back part of your picture by trying to open it in a variety of programs... Try Preview, GraphicConverter, Safari, Internet Explorer, and any other JPEG-viewing apps you have. Sometimes the program will load part of the picture, then you can either Shift-Command-4 and take a picture of that part of the screen, or try re-saving it.

Usually, once a JPEG is corrupted, its gone forever.

Best of luck!

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
howard, under what circumstances did they become corrupt? were they PC jpegs trying to open on a MAC, were they created in Classic trying to open in OSXor did your cat walk on your keyboard when you tried to save them? Understanding how they MAY have become corrupt may help to recover them

flyfish29

macrumors 68020
Feb 4, 2003
New HAMpshire
I have some JPG's as well that are supposedly corrupt. I transferred them from my sony dig. cam to my old iMac..fixed something using PhotoSuite or some program like that which came with my sony. They printed out fine and view fine on my computer both old and new iMac. Although now I try to transfer to iPhoto and they won't. They will view in Preview, Photoshop, PhotoElements, etc, but for some reason none of those programs will be able to save it as a "valid" file.

I have no idea what to do. I am going to try to burn them to a CD and have someone print them and se what happens. Will keep you informed if I have luck.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
What I hear is vaguely familiar to "proprietary" software that even though it says "jpeg" it may be that makers brand of jpeg. I have received files like those from clients who have used some rank 3rd party software to save their files. Not meaning that YOU use rank software, I'm just trying to understand the problem better. Have you tried using "Picture Viewer" in Classic and "Exporting" the file to a Different name? I have had success with that in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.