Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
Thinking about trying it as a replacement for my LG 40WP95C. Same size and resolution, but the Dell is 120Hz whereas the LG maxes out at 72. I've gotten used to the 72 I suppose, but probably would appreciate the 120 refresh.

I may get one from somewhere with a no hassle return policy. Try them side by side to see what if any other improvements the Dell may bring and go from there.

megastuff999

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2008
Thinking about trying it as a replacement for my LG 40WP95C. Same size and resolution, but the Dell is 120Hz whereas the LG maxes out at 72. I've gotten used to the 72 I suppose, but probably would appreciate the 120 refresh.

I may get one from somewhere with a no hassle return policy. Try them side by side to see what if any other improvements the Dell may bring and go from there.
Got mine yesterday. Using Mac Studio with M1 Max I am unable to get 120Hz via Tb to DP cable, or TB4 cable. Tried native 5K2K resolution and scaled and can only choose 60Hz as max

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Got mine yesterday. Using Mac Studio with M1 Max I am unable to get 120Hz via Tb to DP cable, or TB4 cable. Tried native 5K2K resolution and scaled and can only choose 60Hz as max
I don't think you're getting above 60Hz on any M1 based machine regardless of cable, port or monitor.

Reactions: Cape Dave

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I don't think you're getting above 60Hz on any M1 based machine regardless of cable, port or monitor.
Yes starting to see reports of this on reddit. Hmm. That said, I do get 72 on my LG (I can perceive a slight different when switching back and forth to 60). Dumb question perhaps but could I not get that same 72 on the Dell?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
Yes starting to see reports of this on reddit. Hmm. That said, I do get 72 on my LG (I can perceive a slight different when switching back and forth to 60). Dumb question perhaps but could I not get that same 72 on the Dell?
I don't know how you're getting 72 on the LG. That doesn't make sense to me. The M1 chips and ports don't support anything above 60Hz.

Apple Tech Specs (M1M Studio):

Simultaneously supports up to five displays:

• Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI
Thunderbolt 4 digital video output supports

• Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C
  • Thunderbolt 2, DVI, and VGA output supported using adapters (sold separately)
HDMI display video output

• Support for one display with up to 4K resolution at 60Hz
  • DVI output using HDMI to DVI Adapter (sold separately)

• Haha
Reactions: kappabruce

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
That LG 40WP95C worked fine for me at 72Hz too on an M1 Pro. My Alienware 3432DW also works at 175Hz (though it is 3440x1440 - not 4K, still requires DP 1.4 to hit that refresh though as does this Dell). So kind of strange it doesn't work, but maybe it's too close to the theoretical limits of DP 1.4 and the M1 doesn't fully meet the spec?

Anyone tested this monitor with the M2/M3 Pro using TB/DP connection? Looks like I may have to upgrade, want to make sure it works first though.

Looking at the manual for the Dell it only exposes 60 Hz and 120 Hz refresh rates.

You might be able to force a particular refresh rate by using AW EDID Editor and using the override it creates in BetterDisplay

No guarantees it'll work though, sometimes monitors just flat out reject any refresh rates from what they officially support. I will give it a try when my monitor comes in (have ordered the Dell already). If I could get 100 Hz working then might stick with my M1 Pro.

Last edited:

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
I don't know how you're getting 72 on the LG. That doesn't make sense to me. The M1 chips and ports don't support anything above 60Hz.

Yeah I've seen those stats so not sure what to say. Using BetterDummy or the like you can get 72.

That LG 40WP95C worked fine for me at 72Hz too on an M1 Pro.
Anyone tested this monitor with the M2/M3 Pro using TB/DP connection? Looks like I may have to upgrade, want to make sure it works first though.

Looking at the manual for the Dell it only exposes 60 Hz and 120 Hz refresh rates.

You might be able to force a particular refresh rate by using AW EDID Editor and using the override it creates in BetterDisplay

No guarantees it'll work though, sometimes monitors just flat out reject any refresh rates from what they officially support. I will give it a try when my monitor comes in (have ordered the Dell already). If I could get 100 Hz working then might stick with my M1 Pro.

Please let us know what you find when it arrives thanks :)

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Thinking of getting 1 for my M3Max. Thought or should I go old? I mainly do Lightroom etc

DeltaHF

macrumors regular
May 14, 2008
I've got the U4021QW with that I use with my MBP M1 Max. It's an amazing combo, but tops out at 60Hz... I really want that 120Hz so I'm very tempted by the U4025QW, but from my understanding I'd have to upgrade to upgrade my MacBook to an M3 Pro/Max as well. So that turns into quite an expensive upgrade just for some more brightness and higher refresh rate. But... it is more brightness and a higher refresh rate. :D

Really eager to hear what people's thoughts and experiences are with the U4025QW in here.

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
You need either DSC compression or HDMI 2.1 for 120.

How you get that I am not sure. I have seen posts on here where others have used specific adapters to go from USBC to HDMI 2.1but I am not sure if that applies here.

Last edited:

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
You need either DSC compression or HDMI 2.1 for 120.

Follow the instructions here for the Anker USB C -> 2.1 adapter.

Let us know how it Goes.

Fwiw, M1 does support DSC 1.2. Something else is preventing it from hitting 120. Unless CalDigit is wrong, but I doubt it…

Apple M1, M1 Pro, M1 Max & M1 Ultra support DSC 1.2 & DP 1.4 HBR3”

davewolfs

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
The manual states that if you plan to daisy chain another monitor at 120 to set thunderbolt to optimized in the OSD. Try turning that on if you can.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
How about the plain vanilla M2 in the MBA, or upcoming M3 MBA - would they work to drive this at 3840 x 1620 in HiDPI @ 120Hz? Or is Pro/Max-level required?

Reactions: learjet

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Well, I just received a second delay on my order saying it will now be shipped March 29. Not sure what's going on with this monitor. The website when you add to cart still says it'll ship out in 2 days.

I sent Dell a message asking if they can expedite it somehow. If not, I may just end up cancelling -- don't really want to wait that long.

EDIT: After contacting Dell support, my order got bumped back up to its original date and shipped today. Should get it Monday.

Last edited:

x3sphere

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2014
Got my display in today! Yes - 120 Hz doesn't work on an M1 Pro. However, I did try the custom EDID method I mentioned and managed to get 100Hz working. I posted a guide here: https://www.reddit.com/r/ultrawidemasterrace/comments/1bciq31
I'll post some more impressions on the monitor once I've spent more time with it (only had for a few hours so far). Really happy with it so far though!

Ryan0751

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2013
I got one last week.

I've been using the predecessor (the U4021QW) for a few years now and it's been so awesome (I've kept the old monitor, resale isn't that great, plus it's still awesome and I have another use for it).

The 40" is awesome for productivity work. I do SW engineering, photo and video editing and music production. I've used dual display setups for years, and this is so much better. No bezels, no head turning and end-of-day neck pain, it's great. Although I am not a fan of curved monitors in general, the curve on these is very slight and I have no issue with it (I actually quite like it).

As others have said, M1 Pro/Max doesn't support 120Hz. I have an M1 Max MBP and an M1 Ultra Studio, and am not able to get 120Hz out of either of them.

However, I have two work provided laptops: A Dell Precision 5560, and a M2 Pro MBP, and both of these have no problem displaying 120Hz over Thunderbolt - and it's GLORIOUS. It really does make a big difference, in both look AND feel. Everything feels snappier with 120Hz.

The built-in KVM of this monitor (and its predecessor, and also a number of other Dell monitors) is fantastic.

I have my Mac Studio plugged into the monitor using DisplayPort and USB-C (the USB-C isn't for video, just data). My mouse, keyboard, webcam, and a few other peripherals are plugged into the monitor.

I then keep the TB4 cable free to connect up to either my personal MBP, or one of my work laptops, and can easily switch between the TB4 cable and my Mac Studio with a keyboard shortcut (you can do this with DDC commands to the monitor, I use a Mac App called DisplayBuddy to send the signals to switch).

Why Apple doesn't offer built-in KVM on their displays is ridiculous... they could do something really special with it. Connectivity on the studio display is the big reason I didn't buy it.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
My Dell 4025 arrives today. I'll be using it with my m3max. Any advice on setup etc.? ill be using thunderbolt 4 which I assume carries 120hz?

Thanks

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
My Dell 4025 arrives today. I'll be using it with my m3max. Any advice on setup etc.? ill be using thunderbolt 4 which I assume carries 120hz?

Thanks
Hmm. Not sure about that. I think you're going to want to run it off HDMI

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
So, if I have an M2 Ultra Mac Studio, I should be able to run this at the 120Hz mode?

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2002
It supports full 5k2k at 120hz. That's the native resolution of the monitor.
Yes but many people feel 5k2k is a useless resolution at this size because the UI is waaaay too small. A quick read through the many threads on 34/40" 5k/2k monitors make that pretty clear. Hence the question: which HiDPI (i.e. properly scaled) resolutions are available at 120. The answer *should* be all HiDPI resolutions, but, given the wonkiness with OSX scaling, this is not cut and dried.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.