Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Yes but many people feel 5k2k is a useless resolution at this size because the UI is waaaay too small. A quick read through the many threads on 34/40" 5k/2k monitors make that pretty clear. Hence the question: which HiDPI (i.e. properly scaled) resolutions are available at 120. The answer *should* be all HiDPI resolutions, but, given the wonkiness with OSX scaling, this is not cut and dried.
Yes, this is the issue I had last time I used one of these and generally whenever I use any display other than an ASD. Why is macOS so bad at scaling compared to Windows?

Reactions: anthonymoody

RUFiO795

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2007
I'm getting 120hz through thunderbolt.
I have an M3 Max as well, and I've had tons of issues with my U4025QW so far - it's actually in the box to be returned as we speak. A lot of my problems came after I ran the firmware update, though. Wondering if maybe I got a faulty unit or of it might be worth getting a replacement and not running the update.

Are you getting stable performance from the Thunderbolt 4 port? Mine only carries video sometimes, and I'm only getting about 94 watts of charge out of it when it does work.

I switched to HDMI instead, but the monitor will only wake up from sleep about 25% of the time if I'm using that port, so I have to manually re-select the HDMI input and open the laptop from clamshell mode to get the monitor to recognize the computer.

I got pretty loud fan noise from the computer when playing video using either port.

• Wow

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I have an M3 Max as well, and I've had tons of issues with my U4025QW so far - it's actually in the box to be returned as we speak. A lot of my problems came after I ran the firmware update, though. Wondering if maybe I got a faulty unit or of it might be worth getting a replacement and not running the update.

Are you getting stable performance from the Thunderbolt 4 port? Mine only carries video sometimes, and I'm only getting about 94 watts of charge out of it when it does work.

I switched to HDMI instead, but the monitor will only wake up from sleep about 25% of the time if I'm using that port, so I have to manually re-select the HDMI input and open the laptop from clamshell mode to get the monitor to recognize the computer.

I got pretty loud fan noise from the computer when playing video using either port.
Mine is rock solid over TB4. Im having no issues what so ever. Im not upgrading the FW for the monitor nor Mac OS 14.4 as I hear this causes issues. Sleep/wake works great. No wonkiness with the default scaling etc. Only mild issue is it says im getting 90 watts vs 140.

Reactions: ascender

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005

Pretty sure I saw a post on Reddit earlier saying the firmware update from 7th March or thereabouts was causing all sorts of issues with it for Mac users So it wasn’t recommended to do.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Pretty sure I saw a post on Reddit earlier saying the firmware update from 7th March or thereabouts was causing all sorts of issues with it for Mac users So it wasn’t recommended to do.
Yup read the same im not touching that update. Setup is flawless now minus getting only 90 watts which doesn't bother me that much as my Mac power supply pretty much is anyway.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
Here is the link to my mini review:
Dell U4025QW firmware M3T101 original FW. Do not update. Mac OS 14.3.1 Do not update to 14.4 Both of these updates are causing issues with Macs, Thunderbolt, Monitor hubs etc.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
First impressions...
  • Definitely brighter than other ultrawides I've used. This is a very good thing when coming from an Apple Studio Display.
  • Curve is very immersive and 40" seems to be a good size for not having to move my head much at all to see all corners
  • I'm running at 5120x2160 and 120 Hz which is very smooth and I can get everything on-screen at once. I've had to increase zoom on my web browsers, but that's ideal as it means I can get my different client sessions all organised on one screen
  • Speakers are pretty good - definitely better than other ultrawides I've used... not as good as the ASD, but I only use them for system sounds
  • Its a nice bright screen, with good colour representation and nice whites
  • Loads and loads of ports which are all working very reliably at the moment

So far, so good. It's the first ultrawide I've used which is making me think I can replace my studio displays in my office.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
First impressions...
  • Definitely brighter than other ultrawides I've used. This is a very good thing when coming from an Apple Studio Display.
  • Curve is very immersive and 40" seems to be a good size for not having to move my head much at all to see all corners
  • I'm running at 5120x2160 and 120 Hz which is very smooth and I can get everything on-screen at once. I've had to increase zoom on my web browsers, but that's ideal as it means I can get my different client sessions all organised on one screen
  • Speakers are pretty good - definitely better than other ultrawides I've used... not as good as the ASD, but I only use them for system sounds

So far, so good. It's the first ultrawide I've used which is making me think I can replace my studio displays in my office.
Do you have the uniformity compensation turned on or off? I tried with it on and the screen is perfectly uniform with white backgrounds etc. With it off its slightly darker on the left and right vs middle but much better contrast. Can't decide if I'll leave it on or off.

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
I think I left it on as part of the initial setup. I'll have a look tomorrow with it off and play about with some of the other settings to see what I can do.

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
I think I left it on as part of the initial setup. I'll have a look tomorrow with it off and play about with some of the other settings to see what I can do.
You will see when you turn it off the screen gets brighter but if your nitpicky like me the uniformity is not as good with the center as on the sides esp with white background. Also don't upgrade to the Dell FW that was released March 7 as they break some monitor connectivity with the macs. I may update to Mac OS 14.4.1 that was released yesterday,

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
First impressions...

Hi there. Interested to hear why you are moving away from your Studio displays? What is your current setup if you do not mind me asking? I currently have a 38" and thinking of buying a couple of studios, did contemplate the 4025W but I have an M1 Max. Thanks in advanced.

Reactions: PhoenixDown

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Hi there. Interested to hear why you are moving away from your Studio displays? What is your current setup if you do not mind me asking? I currently have a 38" and thinking of buying a couple of studios, did contemplate the 4025W but I have an M1 Max. Thanks in advanced.
The ASD is my favourite Apple Display I've used, but it's just not big enough for my current workflow which involves work for multiple clients. I've tried different numbers of ASDs and different arrangements, but each one is compromised. All of this has left me at the point where I'm trying an ultrawide again as it gives me a single, large area, directly in front of me.

The ASD is brilliant though - bright, built-in speakers and webcam are more than good enough for conference calls and all resolutions are crystal clear. I just wish they made a bigger one.

Reactions: gabicava83

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
I don't think you're getting above 60Hz on any M1 based machine regardless of cable, port or monitor.
I don't know how you're getting 72 on the LG. That doesn't make sense to me. The M1 chips and ports don't support anything above 60Hz.
I don't know why people are confidently reposting 2nd and 3rd hand misinformation.

My M1 Mac mini does 75Hz with no issues. Works with both HDMI and USB-C to DisplayPort.

And that's without any 3rd party utilities, just plain old System Settings.app.

gabicava83

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2010
The ASD is my favourite Apple Display I've used, but it's just not big enough for my current workflow which involves work for multiple clients. I've tried different numbers of ASDs and different arrangements, but each one is compromised. All of this has left me at the point where I'm trying an ultrawide again as it gives me a single, large area, directly in front of me.

The ASD is brilliant though - bright, built-in speakers and webcam are more than good enough for conference calls and all resolutions are crystal clear. I just wish they made a bigger one.

Thank you very much for your reply. That is my concern regarding sizing, hence looking at multiple ones, but Ideally I would like the centre one bigger, then the sides a bit smaller. The issue is that the big boy Apple one is £5000 really, or there about, which is an insane amount of money.

I don't need perfect colour or anything, I do IT stuff, but I like things to work properly, be tidy and efficient.

I am sorry to be a pain, would it be possible to know what arrangements you previously had?

I've tried 49" Dell, 38" Dell, 3 x 24" Dells, 3 x 25" Dells...... Currently on the 38" and I just need more real estate, but also clarity, if that makes sense. Laptop screen for me is sharp (M1 Max 16") and I love it, just need multiple screens/Windows ideally.

Also I love toys :)

Reactions: ascender

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Why is macOS so bad at scaling compared to Windows?
Proper UI scaling is not a simple problem. That said, back in the 90s the Amiga did a better job in some areas than macOS does today. Apple is just too cheap or lazy to bother, or they're not confident they can do true resolution independence well.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
Definitely brighter than other ultrawides I've used. This is a very good thing when coming from an Apple Studio Display.
But you can also set it to low brightness? What that mostly means, are the brightness steps small enough at the lower end of the range?

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
I don't know why people are confidently reposting 2nd and 3rd hand misinformation.

My M1 Mac mini does 75Hz with no issues. Works with both HDMI and USB-C to DisplayPort.

And that's without any 3rd party utilities, just plain old System Settings.app.
My comments weren't really 2nd hand, they reflect exactly the published specs from Apple. It's odd that Apple is incorrect on this stuff, but I guess they are. Lesson learned by me.

Basic75

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2011
Europe
My comments weren't really 2nd hand, they reflect exactly the published specs from Apple. It's odd that Apple is incorrect on this stuff, but I guess they are. Lesson learned by me.
You might have misinterpreted the Apple specs.

"Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI"

The Pro Display XDR doesn't do more than 60Hz, and the HDMI port on the M1 Macs can't do more than 60Hz when talking to a 4K display.

This does not exclude higher refresh rates than 60Hz over USB-C with lower than 6K resolution or over HDMI with lower than 4K resolution.

They don't say anything about these cases. It's not always easy to correctly interpret tech specs. I apologize if I was too harsh in my message.

tstafford

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2022
You might have misinterpreted the Apple specs.

"Support for up to four Pro Display XDRs (6K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over USB-C and one 4K display (4K resolution at 60Hz and over a billion colors) over HDMI"

The Pro Display XDR doesn't do more than 60Hz, and the HDMI port on the M1 Macs can't do more than 60Hz when talking to a 4K display.

This does not exclude higher refresh rates than 60Hz over USB-C with lower than 6K resolution or over HDMI with lower than 4K resolution.

They don't say anything about these cases. It's not always easy to correctly interpret tech specs. I apologize if I was too harsh in my message.
Thanks.

I'm sure I misinterpreted them. But I'd argue it's a pretty misleading way for them to write it. Or pretty useless.

Reactions: Basic75

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
Hello all,
New user here. I've been reading the thread here about the new Dell U4025QW, but so far, all posts seem to be about newer boxes using Apple Silicon.

I have a 2019 Mac Pro....with the AMD Radeon Pro Vega II 32 GB card installed (1).

I read this site I found on Apple support:

It seems to say that it will run a 5K monitor like this one, BUT...it seems to indicate it will only run any monitor at 60hz.

Is this true....I know the machine is a slightly old, but seriously...a $10K machine won't run a modern monitor faster than 60hz?

Any thoughts out there?

Could I buy and install a new video card to run this? If so...any suggestions?

My last old monitor (Dell U2711)...finally bit the dust...I edit video and photos and this monitor looks to be perfect for what I need and want to do...but am a bit hesitant to pull the trigger without knowing my computer will support it.
(site I want to use will pay sales tax for me, but no returns on monitors/computers)

I called Apple support, they only gave me the support link:

But couldn't give me a straightforward answer.

Thank you in advance for any info you can give me.

serrano

Reactions: PhoenixDown

PaulD-UK

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
From https://khronokernel.com/macos/2021/12/08/5K-UEFI.html

"Now with the iMac20,x series, this is the first iMac to be released with official support for Display Stream Compression (DSC) which would be required to run a 5k panel with 10bit color over a single cable. This is actually the exact same reason Apple couldn’t update iMac18,x or iMac19,x with a new single stream panel, as Displayport 1.4 by default does not support enough bandwidth to reach 10bit with 5k."
DSC was first introduced with AMD’s Navi line, and currently only Navi and Apple Silicon GPUs support DSC in macOS.

This relates to 5K60 monitors, but to get >60fps over a single cable requires this added bandwidth.
I guess (I've no Mac Pro experience) that the Radeon Pro W5500X or higher would allow higher frame rates?
It certainly allows 5K+ over a single stream cable.
(Apple's XDR Pro Display works with a 2019 Mac Pro 580/Vega GPUs using a funky dual-stream mode.)

Reactions: serrano

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
Thank you very much for your reply. That is my concern regarding sizing, hence looking at multiple ones, but Ideally I would like the centre one bigger, then the sides a bit smaller. The issue is that the big boy Apple one is £5000 really, or there about, which is an insane amount of money.

I don't need perfect colour or anything, I do IT stuff, but I like things to work properly, be tidy and efficient.

I am sorry to be a pain, would it be possible to know what arrangements you previously had?

I've tried 49" Dell, 38" Dell, 3 x 24" Dells, 3 x 25" Dells...... Currently on the 38" and I just need more real estate, but also clarity, if that makes sense. Laptop screen for me is sharp (M1 Max 16") and I love it, just need multiple screens/Windows ideally.

Also I love toys :)
If you're looking for something as sharp and bright as your laptop screen, an Apple display is the only one that'll do. I've given up trying to find anything similar.

What might work is having an Apple display front and centre with something off to the side as a secondary display/scratch area. for anything you're actively working-on, you can move that to the main screen. I quite like this arrangement - I can have messaging apps, mail, music etc running on the side - stuff that I just occasionally need to look at.

The LG dual up monitor can be a good option for that side screen.

I think what I'm looking-for doesn't exist - that's an ASD in a larger format - regular or ultra wide ideally.

serrano

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2024
From https://khronokernel.com/macos/2021/12/08/5K-UEFI.html

"Now with the iMac20,x series, this is the first iMac to be released with official support for Display Stream Compression (DSC) which would be required to run a 5k panel with 10bit color over a single cable. This is actually the exact same reason Apple couldn’t update iMac18,x or iMac19,x with a new single stream panel, as Displayport 1.4 by default does not support enough bandwidth to reach 10bit with 5k."
DSC was first introduced with AMD’s Navi line, and currently only Navi and Apple Silicon GPUs support DSC in macOS.

This relates to 5K60 monitors, but to get >60fps over a single cable requires this added bandwidth.
I guess (I've no Mac Pro experience) that the Radeon Pro W5500X or higher would allow higher frame rates?
It certainly allows 5K+ over a single stream cable.
(Apple's XDR Pro Display works with a 2019 Mac Pro 580/Vega GPUs using a funky dual-stream mode.)
Thank you for the reply.

I believe this monitor is 8 bit plus FRC...not true 10bit, so, maybe that "frees up" the hardware a bit to support it at 120hz.

I'm off the phone again with Apple Support and they just can't tell me anything. All the articles talk about how many 4K and 5K monitors they can support on a Mac Pro with the Radio Pro Vega II MPX Module....all at 60hz.

But they just can't tell me anything about how it would support a 5k2K monitor at 102hz...heck they can't tell me how it would work at 60hz....I asked if they had any way of escalating this to maybe to higher tier support, maybe hit up the lab guys to ask, but nothing like that offered.

So, I dunno. I'm thinking I might pull the trigger, I need a nice monitor and I'm guessing at the very least it would work at 60hz, which my old monitor was....I"m not gaming here, but with multiple screens opened up on such a wide monitor, I'm guessing that moving the mouse and windows around would benefit from higher refresh rate and look nicer without blurring....

serrano

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.