Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haziza

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Sweden
My Iphone 4 is one and half years old. I dont have single scratch on the screen.
I wont get any screen protector but i will my self a case.

GarryBacon

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I used to also protect my screens on all my devices with screen protectors and invisible shields but it's just a waste of money. This iPad took straight out of the plastic and I don't even use a case. I use the smart cover and that is it. The thing is, the iPads have a small coating anyway and because it's glass you fold up the smart cover and use the inside material to clean it. As soon as you use chemicals like glass cleaner you take that coating off and make the device grainy to touch. Like many have said the main reason for applying screen shields is to prevent things like keys scratching the device, you just don't get that with an iPad. Also one more thing. If you apply all of these protectors you also notice more when you do have a scratch because your constantly looking. But I would it's your iPad you do what suits you. It's personal choice. :)

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Some people really are just overly paranoid. I took the plastic wrapping off of mine as soon as I got it out of the box!

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Not a chance, the feel of the iPad screen is lovely and I have a book-style case which protects back and front when being carried around. I really detest screen protectors as they ruin the look and feel of the display. Being glass, it's already extremely scratch resistant and I've never had a scratch on any previous iPhone or iPad over the years despite constant use.

Built

macrumors 68020
Oct 3, 2007
Los Angeles
To the OP...The iPad is meant to be USED...

Rip that plastic off and enjoy it!

The one thing I will say is you have restraint...I was already playing with mine as it was restoring from the backup LOL

mikejfrd

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2009
I don't use a screen protector on my iPad either. The iPhone is a different story, but I can't fit my iPad in my pocket ;-)

Jessemtz25

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
Colorado
I was debating putting on a screen protector but I think the glass will be fine without it. Plus the glass feels amazing! Just use a smart cover when not in use!

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
I do.

condom-costume-1.jpg

sekazi

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2012
I used mine for about 30 mins with the plastic. Took it off and used it for about an hour on glass. I then put my matte protector on and it has been that way since.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I have the plastic it came with still on my iPad. Waiting for PowerSupport to release the screen protector

That is ridiculous. I have used three different iPad for years and never scratched a screen. Some of you are so OCD that it is ruining the joy of owning the hardware.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
I have the plastic it came with still on my iPad. Waiting for PowerSupport to release the screen protector

Nope, ripped off the plastic and enjoying the iPad nude!!

It's only another fun gadget, and will retire next year for the iPad IV or the then ' New iPad '!

No worries here!!

theshirlgirl

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2012
I respect those who use screen protectors, as I used to do the same. But when the first iPad came out, the real enjoyment (for me) was interacting directly with the screen. I've now grown accustomed to not having a screen protector and will never go back. I can't keep my fingers off that beautiful display!!!

To each his own, but these screens really are capable of being used directly, without the need for an added layer of protection.

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Crystal clear is the only way to go for a screen protector--matte, even from Power Support, shows the rainbow effect and does make text slightly harder to read.

As a temporary protector, get yourself a page protector, e.g. from Staples. The original iPad fit in it perfectly and provided both clarity and touch responsiveness.

To those who don't use protectors... more power to you, but just wait until you get a scratch and it happens to fall in the middle of the screen! It'll be just like glasses where the anti-scratch or anti-glare coatings wear off-- you'll be driven batty!

Power Support's crystal clear is virtually indistinguishable from the uncovered, unprotected screen, although their iPad protectors are expensive. Another option is one of Switcheasy's cases, which come with free iPad protectors-- and they are nearly as good as PS's apparently.

WalledMacGarden

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
No screen protector on my iPad 2, had it out and about, used it like crazy, let others use it, not even a micro scratch...glass is perfect as day one!

Had a screen protector on my 4s, got tired of it looking so bad after a month, took it off and been very very happy, I use a speck case, and even a few falls on cement and it's still perfect.

I no longer recommend screen protectors for an ipad, iphones maybe if you always put in say a purse, or pocket with sharp objects, or just drop it all the time.

I say go naked.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Nope. Had screen protector on hand whilst waiting for FedEx to deliver. Still didn't put in on quite right so now need to get more :(

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
That is ridiculous. I have used three different iPad for years and never scratched a screen. Some of you are so OCD that it is ruining the joy of owning the hardware.

I'm keeping mine unused in the shrink wrapped box until the iPad 5 comes out. This way, it'll be in perfect condition for the guy I ultimately sell it to on Craigslist.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.