Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Just wondering if someone with a 2012 or Early 2013 Retina Macbook can tell me if Yosemite runs better than Mavericks with 1920x1200 HiDpi

gabe211

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2011
Running Yosemite on 2012 MBPr. Runs fine in 1080p HDPI. There's noticeable lag and graphical glitches here and there. Understandable for the first beta.

Peppery

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2009
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm running it on my Mid 2012 15" Retina in 1920x1200 mode ("more space"). As the above poster said, some graphical lag and glitches but not unheard of for a first beta.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
I'm running it on my Mid 2012 15" Retina in 1920x1200 mode ("more space"). As the above poster said, some graphical lag and glitches but not unheard of for a first beta.

It's a bit choppy on my non-retina MBP. Understandable for such a major UI overhaul.

Remember the first iOS 7 betas! :/

Last edited:

DRP96

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Lagging on MBPR late 2013

On my Late-2013 MBPR 13 inch (256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, Intel Iris, 2.4 GHz i5) Yosemite is lagging to.. There are not much significant bugs and most apps are running pretty well except the performance, especially Safari for example is very lagging and animations like for switching to fullscreen are running with a really low FPS... Though it's okay for usage but I wouldn't suggest to install it on a primary Mac (at least not if it has a retina display, without the performance seems to be pretty good)

Diwad

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2013
I am running Yosemite on early 2013 retina 15. It has some performance degradation, but it is DP, so I hope it will be better.

It is super laggy on hd4000,b but not so much on gt650. Hopefully it will run Smooth on integrated graphics too:-|

DRP96

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
but it is DP, so I hope it will be better.|
Of course, I mean it's even laggy on a 3 month old 1,5k$ notebook :D
In the final release I am pretty sure it has a performance as good as Mavericks has :)

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I reckon there should be a big difference between 13 and 15inch models since 13inch has only integrated graphics, so OP should clarify what model he has.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I reckon there should be a big difference between 13 and 15inch models since 13inch has only integrated graphics, so OP should clarify what model he has.

I have the 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the HD4000 and GT650 GPU :)

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
I have the 15" Retina Macbook Pro with the HD4000 and GT650 GPU :)
Well then you shouldn't have any problems at all with stable OS X 10.10. ;)

Yosemite in it's current state runs a bit slower than Mavericks, but that's pretty much for everyone and hardware isn't at fault there, and it definitely shouldn't be very laggy, just a tad slower.

DRP96

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
and it definitely shouldn't be very laggy, just a tad slower.
Not sure what Macbook you are using but on the MBPR it definitely is pretty laggy sometime. Safari is sometimes pretty slow, most animations in general have a really low FPS in comparison to Mavericks, the battery usage is higher (full and only safari opened has about 6 hours left, 10 hours on mavericks) and the macbook is often getting warm just from using safari and a few other official Apps.
But it's definitely okay to use and I can't complain for the first developer preview of a mayor update.. And surprisingly it is pretty stable, I didn't have any complete crashs, only one or two third party apps had a few crashs and there are not many serious bugs that corrupt data or lead to often crashs or something like that.

SmOgER

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Not sure what Macbook you are using but on the MBPR it definitely is pretty laggy sometime. Safari is sometimes pretty slow, most animations in general have a really low FPS in comparison to Mavericks, the battery usage is higher (full and only safari opened has about 6 hours left, 10 hours on mavericks) and the macbook is often getting warm just from using safari and a few other official Apps.
But it's definitely okay to use and I can't complain for the first developer preview of a mayor update.. And surprisingly it is pretty stable, I didn't have any complete crashs, only one or two third party apps had a few crashs and there are not many serious bugs that corrupt data or lead to often crashs or something like that.

I'am using the mac which is in my sig *obviously*. I fail to understand what's with this trend for other people having one mac in sig and using entirely different one. Or having listed bunch of them they don't even have/purchased yet.

As for your lag, are you by any chance using 13inch rMBP?

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I'm running it on late 2012 Retina MBP. Startup is a bit slow at first, but now it's working great other than a couple of freezes on a few apps, but otherwise it's running great so far

falcn

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
I'm running 2012 15" rMBP.

After the update to Yosemite, Safari scrolling performance with nVidia GT650 is significantly worse than it was on Intel HD4000 before the update.
It feels like we are back in the Lion days, if you know what I'm talking about.

We, mid 2012 15" rMBP users, suffer from bad optimization much more than anyone. We have hardware that is borderline sufficient to drive 5 millions pixels.
Non-retina users and newer retina users have some reserve to spare, we don't.

I really hope Apple will fix the code to bring performance back to 10.9.4 level.

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
This post needs a bump for early users of the retina macbook pro 2012-early 2013 running Yosemite. Intel HD4000 and GT650 users, please do provide feedback across resolutions. Software optimization or hardware limitation is a big question to us regarding performance.

teeejay

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2012
Prague, Czech Republic
I'm running 2012 15" rMBP.

After the update to Yosemite, Safari scrolling performance with nVidia GT650 is significantly worse than it was on Intel HD4000 before the update.
It feels like we are back in the Lion days, if you know what I'm talking about.

We, mid 2012 15" rMBP users, suffer from bad optimization much more than anyone. We have hardware that is borderline sufficient to drive 5 millions pixels.
Non-retina users and newer retina users have some reserve to spare, we don't.

I really hope Apple will fix the code to bring performance back to 10.9.4 level.

I do agree with you, there is some noticeable lag not only in Safari, but also in UI itself. Opening individual folders in Preferences for instance.

And I strongly believe, that is due to our, as was stated by you, borderline HW. I think, we won't see any more performance bumps. 2012 rMBP has really weak HW specifications, CPU is more than fine, but iGPU and GPU aren't just powerful enough. I am afraid we won't see any smooth performance until we buy new Retina MBPs.

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
I have the rMBP 2012, being running on GT650 all the time. No noticeable lag in default UI (Some lag in Outlook 2011, but that's probably Micro$ofts fault...)

Though I did update to 343.x Nvidia drivers. The default ones are still based on 310 series....

Cardsnk

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Cant even use hdpi 1920x1200 properly running photoshop cc 2014 and lightroom 5.6, i always resort to switchresx to get that performance boost running solely with the built in display alone. Thinking of selling my early 2013 15" maxed out rmbp while it still has value and hold off until better hardware arrives. Oh well...

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Yosemite is very smooth on my rMBP, have been since the Developer Preview 4. There is still slight lag in mission control, but only if I open more then two dozens of applications.

dandl

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Naples, Italy
mid 2012 rMBP 15'

edit (after a full day of testing)

Animations are choppy with the integrated graphic card (especially when you change the size of windows and go in full screen)
They are better with the dedicated graphic card.

Last edited:

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I have the rMBP 2012, being running on GT650 all the time. No noticeable lag in default UI (Some lag in Outlook 2011, but that's probably Micro$ofts fault...)

Though I did update to 343.x Nvidia drivers. The default ones are still based on 310 series....

How can you manually upgrade Nvidia Drivers in Mac OS X?

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
You can download the Nvidia Web driver, the ones specifically for MacPro cards, and then edit the installer files to allow installation on other Macs.

It does work, though not sure if the performance is better or worse. In Mavericks it did give me some extra FPS when playing WoW.

https://gfe.nvidia.com/mac-update
lists in XML the latest files from Nvidia, just pick the top one.

You can then use pkgutil --expand in the terminal to expand the .pkg

Edit the Distribution file to include your mac type next to "MacPro 3,1" etc i.e. "MacbookPro10,1" or w/e. Save, then pkgutil --flatten and install :)

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
Same uI/animation lag here on my rMBP 15" 2013. I am really hoping there is a fix soon and I'm not stuck with it like this permanently.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
Edit the Distribution file to include your mac type next to "MacPro 3,1" etc i.e. "MacbookPro10,1" or w/e. Save, then pkgutil --flatten and install :)

MANY MANY THANKS! It worked like a charm! After installing Yosemite I was experiencing shocking GPU-bugs when browsing in Safari.

Here is a screenshot:
317ih4g.png

After updating drivers according to your description above, I sincerely hope that I'll never see these bugs again. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.