Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JoshJosh117

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
The animations are a lot worse on my 2012 15" rMBP. Often, it will get stuck when switching between spaces/opening notification center/mission control. When this happens, I have control of the cursor but the screen remains mid-animation until I repeat the gesture. The framerate is worse. If I turn off graphics switching it gets maybe a little better, but with a hit on battery life.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
You can download the Nvidia Web driver, the ones specifically for MacPro cards, and then edit the installer files to allow installation on other Macs.

MANY MANY THANKS! It worked like a charm! After installing Yosemite I was experiencing shocking GPU-bugs when browsing in Safari.

Here is a screenshot:

After updating drivers according to your description above, I sincerely hope that I'll never see these bugs again. :rolleyes:

I had to roll back to original OS X driver! The Web Driver wouldn't let me reboot or restart. The screen remained just black while mouse was still responding. Weird.

I've also noticed – via gfxCardStatus – that in Yosemite the GPU switches quite frequently. It's erratic.

dandl

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2013
Naples, Italy
Do you thing an upgrade in the Intel HD 4000 VRAM up to 1576 mb would solve those lags in animations?

I remember they doubled the VRAM (from 512 mb to 1024 mb) with Mavericks.

Anyway I guess it's a problem concerning all the rMBPs with the Intel HD 4000, not only the 2012 ones. I think it would be a good idea to change the name of the topic to make it more visible to everybody with those MBPs.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
I'm going to stick with Mavericks on my early 2012 rMBP.

10.9 has to be the smoothest release in terms of the UI for this machine. Gosh I remember the Lion days... :eek:

I have read though there are others with 2013 Mac Pros with D700 dual GPUs experiencing UI lag as well in Yosemite. I imagine this will be ironed out soon.

ohms12

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2012
Scotland
How's everyone doing for battery life? I've been getting 3hrs on a full charge. I have done a disk repair and permissions verification, then re-indexed. I'm recharging now, guess we'll see if it improves...

Any other suggestions are welcome!

bobbydd21

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2012
Do you thing an upgrade in the Intel HD 4000 VRAM up to 1576 mb would solve those lags in animations?

Anyway I guess it's a problem concerning all the rMBPs with the Intel HD 4000, not only the 2012 ones. I think it would be a good idea to change the name of the topic to make it more visible to everybody with those MBPs.

I agree it could be the graphics card but that's ridiculous if a 1 year old machine can't run it...

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK

I highly doubt it. Thing is, it isn't a lack of VRAM that's causing the stutters and lags but more likely bad software optimisations which puts more load on the HD 4000 when it's already working to the limit in past OS X versions. With more powerful graphics card like the dedicated 650m, this is less likely to occur.

At this point in time, some possible options that will minimize these problems would be to:
1. Make sure your resolution is set as "best for display" instead of the HiDPI resolutions
2. Turn on reduce transparency
3. Reduce animations (eg. in dock preferences, minimize windows using scale effect, uncheck animate opening applications, disable magnification)
4. Turn off font smoothing in general preferences (not sure if it does much but it is GPU accelerated. Also, you shouldn't even need font smoothing on a retina display)
5. Turn off dashboard in mission control preferences (as some users have reported)
6. Hope that they release updates for software optimizations and update their graphics drivers
7. Downgrade/stay to mavericks for the time being
8. Resetting the SMC might help (google it if you don't know how)

You can also try the following steps (Disclaimer: do not blame me if anything bad happens):
1. Deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist & ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist file
2. Shut down computer
3. When turning on computer, reset PRAM (again, google if you don't know how)

*Might have to reconfigure display preferences.

Last edited:

falcn

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2011
Hmm...

Safari in windowed mode = choppy scrolling, more like Lion
Same window in fullscreen = smooth scrolling, not on par with late Mavericks, but still okay.

This is obviously bugs, and not some kind of fundamental problems, which is good news.

I believe Apple will fix most of the performance issues with 10.10.1 or 10.10.2.

cbs20

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2013
I highly doubt it. Thing is, it isn't a lack of VRAM that's causing the stutters and lags but more likely bad software optimisations which puts more load on the HD 4000 when it's already working to the limit in past OS X versions. With more powerful graphics card like the dedicated 650m, this is less likely to occur.

At this point in time, some possible options that will lessen these lags would be to:
1. Make sure your resolution is set as "best for display" instead of the HiDPI resolutions
2. Turn on reduce transparency
3. Reduce animations (eg. in dock preferences, minimize windows using scale effect, uncheck animate opening applications, disable magnification)
4. Turn off font smoothing in general preferences (not sure if it does much but it is GPU accelerated. Also, you shouldn't even need font smoothing on a retina display)
5. Turn off dashboard in mission control preferences (as some users have reported)
6. Hope that they release updates for software optimizations and update their graphics drivers
7. Downgrade/stay to mavericks for the time being
8. Resetting the SMC might help (google it if you don't know how)

You can also try the following steps (Disclaimer: do not blame me if anything bad happens):
1. Deleting /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver.plist & ~/Library/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.windowserver*.plist file
2. Shut down computer
3. When turning on computer, reset PRAM (again, google if you don't know how)

*Might have to reconfigure display preferences.

I was using the dock magnification and font smoothing, but turned them off and have seen a reduction in lag. I previously eliminated the use of dashboard and was already using best for retina setting. Is it me or does the text look better with font smoothing off?

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
This is really bad when switching spaces, I also get the stuck between spaces problems and the animation is extremely slow and lags. This is awful when programming, since you often switch between spaces every few seconds... This completely ruins the experience of my Mac as a programming computer...

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
Gash, that About Menu lag is really bad... :eek:

And it has nothing to do with the Retina screen or the mode the screen is operating in. If you switch to non HiDPI with SetResX it's still there... Zapping the PRAM doesn't help either. I'm usually not a nitpicker extraordinaire, but this is beyond sloppy... It should be engraved in big bold letters on the Apple wall of shame. This is downright embarrassing.

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Gash, that About Menu lag is really bad... :eek:

And it has nothing to do with the Retina screen or the mode the screen is operating in. If you switch to non HiDPI with SetResX it's still there... Zapping the PRAM doesn't help either. I'm usually not a nitpicker extraordinaire, but this is beyond sloppy... It should be engraved in big bold letters on the Apple wall of shame. This is downright embarrassing.

What 'about' menu lag? I don't see any lag on my cMBP.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
What 'about' menu lag? I don't see any lag on my cMBP.

Go to About (edit:... About This Mac) Menu, click on Overview, Displays, Storage... The time it takes to display each info page is shockingly slow.

The symptom is equally present on my 2009 Mac Mini, and just as bad...

Not that it will prevent me from using the machine, but still... it's just sloppy work.

Last edited:

KoolAid-Drink

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
USA
Go to About Menu, click on Overview, Displays, Storage... The time it takes to display each info page is shockingly slow.

Not that it will prevent me from using the machine, but still... it's just sloppy work.

Oh, that's About My Mac, not the About menu (Apple menu). Yeah, I do experience lag, too. I'm sure it'll be sorted out by 10.10.1. Did anyone report this to Apple?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
I'm experiencing the same choppy animations on my late 2013 rMBP when using the Iris Pro. Mission Control animations, resizing windows etc. are noticeably worse on Yosemte than Mavericks. I'm fairly certain it will be fixed by 10.10.2 or 10.10.3.

3lite

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2011
Go to About Menu, click on Overview, Displays, Storage... The time it takes to display each info page is shockingly slow.

Omg this. Thought I was on a PC going from menu to menu.

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Any improvement after the final release 10.10.1?

I'm wondering too. Though for me I'm also waiting until all my printer, scanner and other device drivers/ software get updates for Yosemite.

I'll probably upgrade when it's 10.10.3. Hopefully by then most of the kinks are ironed out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.