Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
Onizuka said:
8. The ability to customize the OPEN WITH contextual item so that all of those funky things in the Adobe suite don't show up.

I have a solution for you. Navigate to Applications<Adobe Photoshop CS<Samples then trash the Droplets folder or archive it before you trash it incase you ever want to restore them. I'd Imagine this works similarly with the other Adobe Apps.

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been said except something that's been bothering me recently. I'd like the ability to change font colour within the folder view options.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
timswim78 said:
Other than Norton's lousy products (which require multiple reboots), I have never run into that problem.

But let's not make this into an OS X vs. XP thread. There are too many of them here, and they are mindnumbingly dull.

My main point is that it would be nice to have a centralized listing of all of your applications.
There already is in System Profiler, though you cannot do anything with it...

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
AlmostThere said:
Internet Explorer's handling of ActiveX has been questionable. The technology is no worse that Java or any plug-in you care to mention and as a re-branded COM, has been extremely useful.
ActiveX is just the old OLE technology, but renamed. It is a protocol (I don't even know if it is official) created by MS. My guess is that there are serious problems at the root of the protocol too. Plus, if it's like any other "protocol" made my MS, they patented it and won't let anyone else make it. Even if MS were to make a plugin for safari do you really think it would any better than how IE's implementation of ActiveX works?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ddrueckhammer said:
I really just think that Apple should work with Microsoft to ensure that there isn't any site that their browser can't open.

For the most part, Safari follows universal web standards. IE doesn't. Some website creators don't either. Even some very large companies don't follow the standards. I really don't want Safari to display sloppy code and non-standard implementations. Apple follows the standards. The responsibility is on the website developers to do the same.

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Another one i noticed.

I want finder to be able to print things

When i go and ctrl click on a pages document i don't want pages to open then print it, i want it to print without pages opening, makes it easier in my eyes

unless it does this with other programs and pages is just different cause it is too new or something

dr_lha

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2003
ddrueckhammer said:
Pages doesn't :( , I really want this feature to make Pages more competitive. I know it needs more work than this but this is my #1 pet peeve.
What would building the Thesaurus into Pages do that the Dictionary.app or Dictionary widget not already do?

brunkster

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2006
Things I want in OS X 10.5

Just some quick thoughts...

• I want the columns in column fiew in Finder to snap (I hate the half-windows)
  • a "special menu (from application bar is fine) to add applications as I please and not clutter the application bar
  • Modifications to Widgets (I want to easily allow widgets to appear in Finder with a check-box option ...actually, I'd love a mini-widget bar similar to the application bar that you can click on to appear in the Finder)

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
dr_lha said:
What would building the Thesaurus into Pages do that the Dictionary.app or Dictionary widget not already do?

I'm not saying to build the Thesaurus into Pages but allow the system wide Dictionary or Thesaurus to replace words in Pages. Without cut and paste....

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
grapes911 said:
I'm not trying to be a jerk. I know what an uninstaller is, I just can't see a reason to include one in OS X. I'm asking the people who want it why they want it, not what they want it for. (does that make sense at all?)
Uninstallers should be bundled with software. It prevents gunk from building up on your mac. eg. Pref files etc.

ddrueckhammer

macrumors 65816
Aug 8, 2004
America's Wang
grapes911 said:
For the most part, Safari follows universal web standards. IE doesn't. Some website creators don't either. Even some very large companies don't follow the standards. I really don't want Safari to display sloppy code and non-standard implementations. Apple follows the standards. The responsibility is on the website developers to do the same.

I agree that coding for IE doesn't always follow standards. However, since it is the #1 browser, I would argue that makes it the defacto standard.

One could argue that fairplay is the standard for online music DRMs because the ITMS owns 80% of the market. In this case other companies want to be able to use the fairplay standard but Apple refuses to keep their dominance in the marketplace. Who can blame them? On the otherhand, I think a good arguement can be made that it would be good for Microsoft to ensure code written for IE is interchangeble with other browsers so they don't end up in another Monopoly suit in a couple of years. They can do this by making their browser more standards based or opening up their code. Either way it would be good for Apple.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Resolution independent GUI

New Finder (More options for viewing and something that only Apple can come up with)

New Preview (I want to select one pic and then be able to use the arrow keys to move through all my pics in that folder)

Snappy feel (Extreme Speed)

System preferences (I want to be able to control/set settings for ANYthing, FrontRow and GUI settings especially, control over everything...more than just appearance.....dock colors, dock location menu bar, screen settings just want more control of things)

Bittorent like file sharing contribution system with benefits from Apple (As rumored to be in 10.5....I would gladly contribute with bandwidth for Apple benefits...get points to use in the Music store and Apple online store, software and hardware) Also for iTunes

Built in feature like App-zapper....uninstalling every-file that came on the system.

MSN support in iChat

iTunes setting for individual Podcasts feeds

;)

10.5 please...ohh and of course the new Apple features that we can't come up with ;)

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Blue Velvet said:
Amongst all the useful stuff that others have said, fix the bloody Help Viewer. :mad:
I have admit I have no idea how to create help files in XCode either... That should be added to that (even if all it is is a html editor or something), as well as making it work properly for other applications.

Also and back to ActiveX, who uses it apart from Windows Update?

I'm totally for building Flash and Shockwave into OS X, on a similar theme I think they need to allow third party downloads (Adobe, Microsoft, Other major software companies I haven't mentioned, Major Open Source stuff etc. etc.) if you have the software installed, to be in Software Update.

Also Safari and other browsers need to run in really low privilege mode so they can't modify anything except the cache and site specific cookies, IE 7 is doing this and Apple needs to do the same otherwise OS X will be more vunerable.

AlexSpark

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2004
Emeryville, CA
Dock Update

Id like them to add the optional feature of being able to put your Dock apps into groups (like labels). So when you click an app in a group, all the apps that arnt in that group will hide and the apps in your clicked group will show.

A little like virtual desktoping but in a slightly different way

G99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 8, 2006
AlexSpark said:
Id like them to add the optional feature of being able to put your Dock apps into groups (like labels). So when you click an app in a group, all the apps that arnt in that group will hide and the apps in your clicked group will show.

A little like virtual desktoping but in a slightly different way
I second that. Like multiple desktops, but more sophisticated and elegant :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.