Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Available in Software Update for Aperture users:Aperture 1.0.1 Update addresses a number of issues related to reliability and performance. It also delivers improved image export quality and metadata handling. Among the key areas addressed are:

White balance adjustment accuracy and performance
Image export quality
Book and print ordering reliability
Auto-stacking performance
Custom paper size handling
This update is recommended for all Aperture users.
Alternatively, the download is available from Apple's website.

Article Link: Aperture 1.0.1 Update Available

me hate windows

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2002
hmm, I didn't see any performance problems before, but I'll update anyway. Hopefully there is a noticeable difference in speed

tpatricks

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2004
Los Angeles, CA USA
Agreed. Still needs some salt, though.

camomac said:
i'm also glad to see apple on the ball.
-and i do have aperture!

It's good to see Apple's new strategy for software development in action. Just as with iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and nearly everything else, Apple's moving in stages. Release a straightforward, competent, attractive application. The release a steady stream of updates, improvements, new features. Smart.

How smart? I own just about everything Apple's publishing these days.

BTW -- I'm baaaaaaack!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
tpatricks said:
It's good to see Apple's new strategy for software development in action. Just as with iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, and nearly everything else, Apple's moving in stages. Release a straightforward, competent, attractive application. The release a steady stream of updates, improvements, new features. Smart.

How smart? I own just about everything Apple's publishing these days.

BTW -- I'm baaaaaaack!

Good to have you healthy and with us. :D

I notice a marked improvement in stacking and JPEG export after the update, personally.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
How many of the issues from ArsTechnica's review are fixed with this update? Any at all? (Thinking mostly the "bug" type of issues).

Fiveos22

macrumors 65816
Nov 20, 2003
dubbz said:
How many of the issues from ArsTechnica's review are fixed with this update? Any at all? (Thinking mostly the "bug" type of issues).

Yeah, is this the BIG .0.1 that catches all the slight imperfections?

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
It seems more, shall we say, snappy now?

Nah, kidding, seems like it did under 1.0 but still smooth enough though sadly my stock 9600 with 64 MB of RAM seems to choke a bit, damn the specs on this thing are steep!

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
tpatricks said:
Um, that's Microsoft's method. Well, I suppose if it worked for them, it can work for Apple too.

strydr

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2005
SoCal
Release a straightforward, competent, attractive application. The release a steady stream of updates, improvements, new features. Smart.

PCMacUser said:
Um, that's Microsoft's method. Well, I suppose if it worked for them, it can work for Apple too.

When has M$ released a "straightforward, competent, attractive application."?

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
strydr said:
Release a straightforward, competent, attractive application. The release a steady stream of updates, improvements, new features. Smart.

When has M$ released a "straightforward, competent, attractive application."?
Microsoft Outlook
Microsoft Movie Maker
Microsoft Office 2004 Mac
Microsoft Messenger, PC and Mac
I could continue... but I think I've made my point.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
i'll try it , but if it doesn't fix any of the numerous issues it has with dealing with DNG files from various cameras, then I'll still be mighty pissed at Apple

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
situational ethics?

~Shard~ said:
Great to see an update so soon. It's nice to see Apple is taking this new offering seriously and addressing issues promptly.
I wonder what people would be saying if Microsoft had released 12 MB of fixes and patches less than a month after shipping a (delayed) product?

So predictable...and so sad. I guess that software bugs are better with Koolaid.

psycho bob

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2003
Leeds, England
Anybody else experiencing install bugs related to the serial number with either this or the Soundtrack Pro 1.0.2 update? After installing the updates and trying to launch the app you get an dialogue box prompting for a serial numbr but nothing you enter works. Only fix is to dump the receipt files in the library and reinstall.

There is a thread on the Soundtrack Pro section of Apple's discussion boards but nothing in the Aperture section.

This is really annoying, somebody here must have experienced it. No work around as of yet.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
yes!

Yes finally!!!

Oh wait, I need $500 and a dual-processor/core mac first...:rolleyes:

How did this thread become a MS Office argument?

neutrino23

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2003
SF Bay area
book quality

I see that Aperture has an option for producing a high quality book. Has anyone seen one of these? Is it different from the books available via iPhoto? Higher resolution? (iPhoto offers 300dpi) Different papers? Other formats? I have found that I can create any format I like by creating the pages in InDesign, rastering them in PhotoShop and making the book with iPhoto.

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm going to venture a guess that this update doesn't do anything about Aperture's inability to fill iPhoto's shoes in terms of integration. I replaced my iPhoto library with one in Aperture, only to find that I can no longer make photo screensavers, drag into iMovie/iDVD, import directly from Mail and the many other handy little bells and whistles iPhoto has developed over the versions. sure Aperture is a Pro app, but sometimes it's nice to be able to fill both roles. hopefully we'll see this improved with future updates to Aperture or to the other apps involved.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Everytime around Christmas, Apple unleashes a whole bunch of updates. It was the same thing last year.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Lacero said:
Everytime around Christmas, Apple unleashes a whole bunch of updates. It was the same thing last year.
Does the corollary hold?

"Everytime around Thanksgiving, Apple unleashes a whole bunch of crappy products. It was the same thing last year."

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
neutrino23 said:
I see that Aperture has an option for producing a high quality book. Has anyone seen one of these? Is it different from the books available via iPhoto? Higher resolution? (iPhoto offers 300dpi) Different papers? Other formats? I have found that I can create any format I like by creating the pages in InDesign, rastering them in PhotoShop and making the book with iPhoto.

Actually iPhoto is 150 dpi for the medium and large size books. The small books are 300dpi. But there is a hack out there to change it. I did, and it made a world of difference.

My guess is that everything would be 300dpi or greater and the jpeg quality would be maximum.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
neutrino23 said:

If you're going to go to that extreme, you could also just use yahoo, kodak, or any of the other online book makers, and have a larger variety of choices.

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Still not ready for the Pro world IMO. The RAW converter is lacking some basic functions (curves!) and the quality is less than desired, even unusable in some cases (underexposure).

Some good features and nice UI. But the core of it is not there yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.