Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Looks interesting though I'm still not a fan of apps doing my photo organizing for me. I prefer keeping things in folders and keeping separate versions for various edits, instead of hiding originals and replacing them with edits. I hate importing things and having to tell the app where my new photos are.

For me it's Adobe Bridge + Photoshop all the way!

PS: I'm certain that Photos will be free. It's Apple's new strategy, to make their software free. OS X is free, and so is iLife now, so it only makes sense to ditch Aperture's paid model and just make a new app that is also free.

Truffy

macrumors 6502a
While the loss of Aperture is disappointing, it also makes some sense. Instead of maintaining two photo apps, with trickle down from Aperture to iPhoto constantly blurring the lines, focus on one. I just hope that they retain RAW support in the app (yes, I now that RAW is supported by the OS, but tat doesn't mean that the app has to do anything with it!)

I wonder what, if anything, this means for FCPX/iMovie. Given the work and hullaballoo over the transition to FCPX I doubt that will change for the time being, but it's difficult to trust Apple over anything anymore.

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Glad I switched to Lightroom years ago :) If I were using Aperture today I would certainly switch - the sooner the better!

----------

Looks interesting though I'm still not a fan of apps doing my photo organizing for me. I prefer keeping things in folders and keeping separate versions for various edits, instead of hiding originals and replacing them with edits. I hate importing things and having to tell the app where my new photos are.

This is so easy with Lightroom!

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
If "plugin" means "pseudo-artistic-******-vintage-filters-collections" then Apple might lose me on this one.

And on their whole OS if this goes on much longer.

When others implement an iCloud like feature, that's when Apple will loose me. Having everything that happens on iOS translate to OS X seamlessly is too hard to give up.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
ApertureExpert has taken a close look at the screenshot and made some comparisons to Aperture. Might be an interesting read.

After reading this and other analyses, my initial anger about Aperture's demise has somewhat subsided. It seems that Photos might become a fully featured replacement for Aperture.

I'm just very sceptical about the timeframe in which it becomes that, in the light of other recently released reworks of Apple software. I expect the first version of Photos to be missing quite a lot and only after many months or even years to be finally up to Aperture's features.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
That interface looks really nice.

I personally can't stand Lightroom's clutter.

I see there is a healing tools section as well, so this might actually be everything I need.

Cloudsurfer

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2007
Netherlands
Apple has lost my complete respect. Aperture is professional grade, where you use brushes and can use an adjustment page. With "Photos" all you to is click and drag, there will be nothing from Aperture. This **** is so unprofessional that I myself will get ahold of Tim Cook and see how they plan to keep professional photographers to keep buying anything from Apple now.
Yeah, because you've used Photos and you know everything about it.

MisterK

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
Ottawa, Canada
Apple's secrecy usually serves them very well but it's the wrong approach when it comes to "pro" apps. They need something akin to a mission statement when it comes to high end software.

People make their livelihoods off this stuff and it takes time to retrain. Why would you learn an application knowing it's likely to go unsupported or just disappear?

This isn't a worry with Adobe's products. If I used Logic, I'd be looking for an alternative. I know that Final Cut X has gotten better but it could have just as easily not gotten better. We didn't know. We still don't know. It could go away.

I love Apple's hardware and operating systems, but I'll never look to them for professional level software.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
ApertureExpert has taken a close look at the screenshot and made some comparisons to Aperture. Might be an interesting read.

After reading this and other analyses, my initial anger about Aperture's demise has somewhat subsided. It seems that Photos might become a fully featured replacement for Aperture.

I'm just very sceptical about the timeframe in which it becomes that, in the light of other recently released reworks of Apple software. I expect the first version of Photos to be missing quite a lot and only after many months or even years to be finally up to Aperture's features.

Thanks for the link. Though I don't use Aperture, I'm quite impressed that even with it's simplicity, there are only a few (?) missing features... I love Apple's approach to software: keep it simple yet powerful. Photos just proves that point.

This posts makes me feel better about APPL.

That interface looks really nice.

I personally can't stand Lightroom's clutter.

I see there is a healing tools section as well, so this might actually be everything I need.

The interface does look really nice. Love the "dark room" look to it.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
This makes me feel a little better about Apple dumping Aperture, but I'm still sceptical.
Why wouldn't they wait to announce they're killing Aperture until after releasing Photos? Goddamnit!

so people have enough time to adapt? A whole system generation to be exact. Thats pretty decent. Certainly better than when FCPX was released without being able to open old products.

I assume that the focus will be on 3rd party extensions (similar to iOS), but I really hope they have Brushes. That is one of my most-used adjustment tools in Aperture.

Brushes are kickass, thats the reason I choose Aperture over Lightroom about a year ago

----------

I wonder what, if anything, this means for FCPX/iMovie. Given the work and hullaballoo over the transition to FCPX I doubt that will change for the time being, but it's difficult to trust Apple over anything anymore.

That's an interesting thought!

GarageBand and Logic Pro X have shared code for years, and only became visually similar with the X iteration.

Logic X has an "advanced options" setting under preferences that removes the "wooden sides" (from garageband) and enables all the advanced functions. Still, including *everything* logic does into garageband would bloat it!

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
"image search" is "professional grade"? I'm suddenly worried about this Photos app now. What standard features are getting dropped?

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
I see the image of Photos on Apple's website shows additional tabs along the top bar ('Thumbnail Zoom', 'Show Sidebar?', Moments, Shared, Albums, Projects, 'Import?', Share and Search). Whereas the Edit tab has even more tabs down the right-hand side (Crop, Filters, Adjustments, Healing Tools), there's also an 'Add' button at the top to add more tools to the sidebar. If the interface changes contextually like this, there might be a lot of other features hidden away.

Photos-Fotos-OS-X-Yosemite-iOS-8.png

I also noticed it's in light-mode in that screen shot as well. I believe this is a system-wide feature.

Belly-laughs

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2003
you wish
That said, I will miss the days when OS X was a platform for creatives.

I miss the elitist days as well… Replacing a professional level photo touch-up and organiser application won't change OS X as a platform for creatives. By far, the software needs of most creative industries are catered for by other vendors than Apple.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I am. Aperture does everything I need right now. It will work in Yosemite. What reason do I have to migrate to another application unless it offers something I need or want. Just because it's not supported doesn't mean it's dead. Moving to another vendor's platform means a huge learning curve. That's going to happen whether I do it now or in two years. Since I don't need to do it now, why invest the time? I would feel pretty bad if I moved off Aperture right now and it turns out Photos does everything I need quite well.

We have people here still running Leopard on G5 machines. Do they have an immediate need to upgrade? Apparently not.

Aperture has been surpassed by both of it's main competitors for image quality, feature set, and versatility. It's still a great program and will continue to work, sure, but the fact is that having more features and customisable adjustments means that you can produce photography that isn't restricted to two year old ideas.
Of course, every DAM App will have it's compromises, but Aperture's Achile's Heel is that it can't do what other app's can.

Whats the issue with continuing to use Aperture?

The issue is that my competitors are using applications which are better and editing more quickly. I have to to have a fast workflow to keep up with my client's needs and while Aperture has been an incredible program, there are better options available. When it became clear to Pro users (probably about 2 years ago) that Apple were probably not creating Aperture X it also became clear that the features we were asking for were being offered by Lightroom and Capture One Pro. I used Aperture until the end of last year, and I continue to use it for libraries of previous work, but all new jobs go through C1Pro now.
A lot of people moved to Lightroom years ago and haven't had to ponder over the future of their established workflow. From a professional standpoint I compete with other photographers who might have an edge if they don't have to spend time migrating all of a sudden.

What's that quote? "I wouldn't want to bring a knife to a gun fight"?

That's why I planned a migration over a 2 year period so I could lose the learning curve in the mix. Aperture users have been given the same opportunity here. "we're killing Aperture, but you can still use it while you transition".

Either that or they are bringing prosumer features to the masses!
(Well my hope anyway)

----------

I am sticking with Aperture for now! I know the interface back to front and there is nothing quite the same.
Lightroom and capsure one both have to maintain PC versions so it holds them back on things like making the App have hardware acceleration built solely for Mac.

You can set up Capture One Pro to work in almost exactly the same way as Aperture. I have.
The only real difference is that C1 is more customisable with regards to your workspace and adjustments 'hud', as well as having alternative filing setups if you want more of a referenced file kind of system.
Neither of the two programs you mention are in any way 'held back' when it comes to crunching through processing and adjustments. You may be surprised at how fast your import window works in C1 when coming from Aperture.

"plans for professional-grade features such as image search,"

you hear that? that's the sound of thousands of "professionals" switching to a product that doesnt insult their intelligence.

This.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
So how does this work with existing iPhoto libraries? I assume you can import your iPhoto library into Photos, but then what? Does it automatically upload your entire library, which in my case it 13GB, to iCloud? If so does that then automatically sync to my iPhone?
It will only upload up to 5GB. If you want more of your photos in the cloud, you have to pay for additional storage space. Apple will offer plans with up to 1TB. So I assume it will be like Photo Stream and they will only store the "newest 5GB" of your photos in the cloud, unless you are willing to pay for more.

Also, I doubt that it will auto-sync your photo library to your iPhone. Otherwise, 1TB of cloud storage would be a bit of a problem, as I don't see a 1TB iPhone coming anytime soon. ;) My (completely personal and unfounded) assumption is that they will sync thumbnails to your devices, so you can browse through the thumbnails, and it will only download an image if you actually select it.

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I can't think of any reason a "Pro" would switch from something that works perfectly well, out of hysteria, rather than take a wait and see approach. Aperture isn't going to just up and stop working Jan 1 2015... I have it running right now, and it isn't any less useful than before this unfortunate announcement..

I've already purchased an extra Mac, installed Aperture on it, and mothballed it... I intend to stick w/ Aperture at least until my current Aperture Mac dies, if not longer... I'm glad you've found an alternative you like, but I've tried just about everything, and can't stand them. I'll ride Aperture until the wheels fall off. Maybe in 3-5 years, Apple or a 3rd party will offer something I think is worth switching to, perhaps even a Photos extension/Plug-in? Right now, shrug, I'd rather cut off my left... arm... than switch to something that makes my work more difficult.

FWIW a working Pro needs the latest feature set of anything because it usually means that he or she can work faster/get more done/compete in an industry that is saturated. Saving time means earning more. Waiting patiently for Aperture HAS ALREADY BEED DONE!

It wasn't killed last week - it hasn't been developed for literally years.

It took maybe 30 minutes for me to learn Capture One Pro and have it set up like the way I loved to use Aperture. How does that make your work more difficult?

I get it - I was a loyal Aperture evangelist until the end (there's debate on when this Actually was) but waiting around to see if Apple come up with the goods in a year's time when the goods are here today in another app is simply insane to me. Wait and see? Or make it happen?

This idea that learning a new workflow as a negative thing doesn't make sense either. It's just fear of change.

When Photos is released there will still be a learning curve. Perhaps a steep one. The workflow will be different. The tools will likely be different or missing. The purported extensions may not be an Apple solution anyway (Lightroom extension, anyone?), and the library system could be completely new.

It's not going to be a 'New Aperture'!!!

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
The screenshot in the article looks very promising, if wildly different from the screenshots on Apple's OS X page. Hopefully it means the app has a lot of contextual features, so for simply viewing and touch-ups it's just clean and uncluttered, but for detailed editing it can bring out all the extra features.

But the most important question of all remains unanswered; will Photos have that sexy little magnifier?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Why should it be better than Aperture? There's no way it will be and it's not supposed to be. It's a replacement for iPhoto, not a replacement for Aperture. They're killing Aperture and will no longer have a prosumer Photo app.

Sorry. I thought the thread title sort of announced that Photos is an Aperture replacement. So yea, it better be as good as or better than Aperture.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

Perhaps Final Cut Pro X WAS the change. It was a complete rewrite and isn't the interface similar to iMovie?

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Sorry. I thought the thread title sort of announced that Photos is an Aperture replacement. So yea, it better be as good as or better than Aperture.

You can replace a car with a skateboard. It doesn't make it as good or better.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
I see the image of Photos on Apple's website shows additional tabs along the top bar ('Thumbnail Zoom', 'Show Sidebar?', Moments, Shared, Albums, Projects, 'Import?', Share and Search). Whereas the Edit tab has even more tabs down the right-hand side (Crop, Filters, Adjustments, Healing Tools), there's also an 'Add' button at the top to add more tools to the sidebar. If the interface changes contextually like this, there might be a lot of other features hidden away.

I also noticed it's in light-mode in that screen shot as well. I believe this is a system-wide feature.

I hope it is SHOW SIDEBAR and that it allows for FOLDERS to be created. That is why I went to Aperture in the first place. To be able to organize Photos into categories and sub categories. This I HIGHLY DOUBT is coming to the new app as Apple does like it's user organizing their own files. Very worried about this.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
I hope it is SHOW SIDEBAR and that it allows for FOLDERS to be created. That is why I went to Aperture in the first place. To be able to organize Photos into categories and sub categories. This I HIGHLY DOUBT is coming to the new app as Apple does like it's user organizing their own files. Very worried about this.
Where does that doubt come from? Aperture allows for photo organization. iPhoto allows for photo organization. The current Photos app on iOS allows for photo organization. I somehow doubt that the new OS X Photos app will just smash all your pictures into one view (especially seeing how they will allow up to 1TB of pictures in iCloud storage).

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003

Photos will be an Aperture replacement to the extent that it'll be the only photo app that Apple offers. Unfortunately, that doesn't mean that it'll have all of Aperture's features. Otherwise, why not tweak Aperture's UI to make it more accessible to less photographically-sophisticated users and make it widely available at no cost? As a longtime Aperture user, I'd love to be proven wrong, but I don't think I will be. I'm planning on using Aperture until it's no longer compatible with OS X and then decide.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.