Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Just when I thought the days of Apple using obnoxious proprietary ports on displays was over here we are again. My work PowerMac G4 only has one monitor hooked up because the other connection on the card is ADC. Annoying

Also, $899 for a monitor with consumers in mind seems a bit on the $$ side to me.

immanence

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Apple are really getting on my nerves.

Does anyone have experience of the lag between "available for pre-order" and on-the-shelf availability?

I have a friend in the US now and there is one week only between now and when he comes home and I want him to bring me back one of these bad boys.

It's NOVEMBER, Steve!!

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I agree with you, but I don't think Apple's ever really been concerned about what the free market thinks of its prices. Its Cinema Displays have been pretty much the most expensive things out there for a long time, no? Everyone had better deals than those...

It remains to be seen if anyone else will start using the mini-displayport, no? At 10% of the size of the normal displayport connector, you'd think others might show some interest. I don't think anyone's been able to find-out if Apple copyrighted the mini displayport. IMO, that's what would make it proprietary.
You have been misinformed. The miniDisplayPort is 10% the size of a full-size DVI connector, but is only minimally smaller than a standard Display Port connector, and it doesn't have the built-in positive latch mechanism of the standard connector either. The only reason at all to require the mini version is the Macbook Air, which apparently did not have space for the standard connector. So for that everybody is penalized. Thanks Apple!

TJunkers

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2007
I want this monitor!!! I just got the MacBook Pro and think this would be so nice to have when my MacBook is docked to it's side!

immanence

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
What about them headphones?

Next year, next decade, whatever. Don't call us, we'll call you.

Two beers in and I start to get antsy!

Apple: No one with a life cares about what is coming next! The people care about what is now! Tell us, "in two weeks" and we're okay. But waiting months? You suck!

dr. shdw

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2008
Highly unlikely, with the incorporation of the iSight, Speakers, MagSafe and Glass, the panel is more than likely a (VA) to reduce cost as it offers similar results to an ISP. The wide viewing angle is also shared with (VA) panels. :)

At 178 degrees? I thought VA panels were 176?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
You have been misinformed. The miniDisplayPort is 10% the size of a full-size DVI connector, but is only minimally smaller than a standard Display Port connector, and it doesn't have the built-in positive latch mechanism of the standard connector either. The only reason at all to require the mini version is the Macbook Air, which apparently did not have space for the standard connector. So for that everybody is penalized. Thanks Apple!
Thanks for the info. So in all of your sleuthing around about the mini displayport, what information have you found about Apple preventing others from using it?

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
1st, the displays across all apple range apart form the old cinema displays are LED not LCD anymore, they're way brighter and I think you shall pop into an Apple Store and have a look.

2nd, the coating of displays on ALL apple "glossy" displays on MB/MBP/iMac/this one have GLASS coating.

OH, just in case you don't know, the new trackpads as well as ALL iPhone from day one have glass touch interfaces too!

1) All of these displays use LCD for the colors and LED for the backlighting to allow you to see the colors.

2) You're wrong, the non unibody MacBooks and MacBook Pros did not have glass over the LCD, it was a glossy plastic coating as an option instead of a matte plastic coating.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
Thanks for the info. So in all of your sleuthing around about the mini displayport, what information have you found about Apple preventing others from using it?
I have heard nothing official yet about the miniDP and other manufacturers. It is quite possible that some others will have miniDP cables at some later date, but it is also quite possible that they will have to pay Apple royalties. In any case there are no 3rd party cables at the moment. Somebody at least needs to come out with miniDP-DisplayPort and miniDP-HDMI cables or adapters.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Find another LED backlit 24" monitor for the same price.

Find another LED backlit 24" monitor with a MagSafe connector for the same price.

Find another LED backlit 24" monitor with a MagSafe connector and built-in iSight (or webcam) for the same price.

It might seem like the inexpensive LED backlit 24" display but what good is it if i have to buy a $1299 computer to use it?, as far as i know you can't connect to any existing laptops except the new revisions. Also built in iSight/Magsafe are NOT features its just common sense now to add them

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
It might seem like the inexpensive LED backlit 24" display but what good is it if i have to buy a $1299 computer to use it?, as far as i know you can't connect to any existing laptops except the new revisions. Also built in iSight/Magsafe are NOT features its just common sense now to add them

I agree the lack of connectivity options are disappointing, but considering the monitor has only just become available I think we might see solutions coming out very soon. Apple should want to make this display available to all of their computers.

iSight/MagSafe ARE features, because other displays do not feature them.

JayTapp

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2008
All this crying over the glossy is really getting on my nerve. Until you use the glass LED display you have no idea what you are are talking about.

My new 15in MBP has the best display I've ever seen. I would not trade it over anything else. Even when used in direct sunlight from my window. No problem at all. It is just awesome.

It has the sharpest color i've seen and i'm using mostly only lightroom to make photography work.

Matte screen are out, get over it. You know if the matte coating diffuse the color getting to the screen it does the same thing to the color(light) comming out of the screen? Simple physics.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/2008-macbookpro-review.ars/3

Let me quote Ars Technica Creative Director Aurich Lawson:

I suspect that the false comparison with the paper stock argument feeds another persistent myth, which is that glossy screens are not for professionals. Let's just leave aside the the fact that an image on a monitor will never entirely match an image printed on paper no matter what kind of screen you have, for a variety of reasons not least amongst them the differences between subtractive and additive color cited above. The simple fact of the matter is that a matte screen, far from a neutral view, is actually distorted when compared to a glossy screen. The matte coating that diffuses glare and reflections also works on the image on the screen, reducing contrast and saturation.

In a properly light-controlled environment (without which there is zero point in talking about professional work), with all tech specs being equal, and with properly calibrated screens, a glossy LCD is going to outperform a matte one every time.

nplima

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2006
UK
Seems nobody can find a similar monitor with similar specs for cheaper and this monitor also comes with speakers, isight, a mic, magsafe charger. As usual complaining just for the sake of complaining.

I'd pick this one instead of the Cinema display.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/uk/e...87-3284302-215012-215012-3757979-3757982.html

that's £459 (US$688) for a 25" screen
with
  • 3 ms G-to-G (Typical) at 1920x1200 @ 60Hz
  • Display brightness 400 cd/m2 (typical), integrated ambient light sensor
  • Contrast ratio up to 3000:1 dynamic (typical), 1000:1 static (typical)
  • Video input connector Digital (2 HDMI and DVI-I with HDCP)
  • Speakers and microphone Integrated Rear Facing speakers (2 x 4W / channel) with front volume control and 1 microphone in front
  • Display viewing angle 160° horizontal, 160° vertical (typical)
  • Display moving angle Swivel, vertical Tilt range from -5 degrees to 25 degrees, height adjustment from 43 cm to 51 cm (8 cm range);
  • standard VESA 4 hole pattern 100 mm x 100 mm screw-mounting option

akm3

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2007
I'm one of the people (Described as 'more money than brains') who likes the new monitor, and am buying two of them,...

but why does it even matter that is is LED? It is more environmentally friendly (I don't care) and it is 'instant on' (I don't care).

What benefits does LED bring?

That said, I *love* the display in my new Macbook pro, if it is awesome because it is LED then hooray.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006

Yep, in fact I was thinking of replacing my old 19" monitor and this one is on the top in my list of potential ones. Apple 24" LED is obviously not for me - I have 2 prev generation Mac Laptops, a PC Desktop, a Mini - all of which do not understand DisplayPort and I am in no mood to invest on new laptops just to drive this baby.

Wonder how Apple makes such decisions - they should've atleast bundled all required adapters with the pricey display.

sighlent

macrumors member
Feb 24, 2008
I'm one of the people (Described as 'more money than brains') who likes the new monitor, and am buying two of them,...

but why does it even matter that is is LED? It is more environmentally friendly (I don't care) and it is 'instant on' (I don't care).

What benefits does LED bring?

That said, I *love* the display in my new Macbook pro, if it is awesome because it is LED then hooray.

The LED backlight will last much much longer than the typical CCFL and won't degrade in brightness.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.