Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnymcc

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2019
Club3D makes an adapter on Amazon that allows you to use this old amazing display with modern-day Macs and even iPads. Unfortunately, it no longer works with M3-based Macs. Does anyone have any ideas to get my 30" HD Cinema Display to work on my M3 Max Macbook Pro?

Here are two of my videos sharing how amazing this display truly is.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
I couldn’t get the Club3D adaptor to work with my M2 Pro mac mini without weird and colourful interference. I have been using the dual DVI to Thunderbolt 2, then Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C. I suppose this would work for M3 too?

I also have a 23” ACD via HDMI which also works fine with an adaptor.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
There are several threads related to issues w/ dual DVI and M3 MBPs. Search upon and ye shall find.

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
I couldn’t get the Club3D adaptor to work with my M2 Pro mac mini without weird and colourful interference. I have been using the dual DVI to Thunderbolt 2, then Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C. I suppose this would work for M3 too?

I also have a 23” ACD via HDMI which also works fine with an adaptor.
What is this Dual DVI to TB2 adapter? There's an original Apple Dual DVI to mini DisplayPort (it has the same connector as TB2 devices have) adapter, but I've never head about TB.

thosmatthews

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2021
What is this Dual DVI to TB2 adapter? There's an original Apple Dual DVI to mini DisplayPort (it has the same connector as TB2 devices have) adapter, but I've never head about TB.
Sorry my mistake, it’s the Apple Dual DVI to Mini DisplayPort then MDP to USB-C.

Reactions: etc

classiccat

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2024
Did you end up getting it to work?

etc

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2008
Did you end up getting it to work?
Sorry, I don't have an M3 Mac. But my ACD when I had it nearby worked with an Intel MBP using a bunch of adapters like the one we discussed and two more adapters like Type-C to USB-A and Type-C to mini DisplayPort (Baseus if that's matter).

I'm not quite understand what's the problem with M3. Like, they support just a basic DisplayPort output or USB 2.0 badly?

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
As much as I loved my 30" ACD's, isn't it time to move on?

Displays that SMOKE them, in just about all metrics, are not that expensive these days

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
Oh bummer. I have the Club3D but my MBP is a M1, so it works very well. I'm holding on to my ACD 30" display for dear life but I think I will succumb and get an ASD since I can't afford the XDR, which is my favorite by far and can't justify the $7k price (nano/stand).

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
The problem is, it's not amazing. It's just an old matte CCFL display at this point. The Dell 3007 had a noticeably better matte layer and superior brightness /contrast - and who's still using that these days?

Rather than struggling, unless you have a burning need to have a monitor with a fruit logo (which I would assume is the entire reason, that anything with an Apple logo must be the supreme thing) and the XDR is out of the question, you're far better buying a modern 30-inch-class monitor like the Z32K. Or indeed, the XDR.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Bobbesteijn

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2020
Netherlands
I have a Mac mini M2 Pro and Lenovo T470S, they both are working with 30" Apple Cinema Display, using The Club 3D CAC-1510-A is a USB3.2 Gen1 Type-C input to Dual Link DVI-D or Single Link DVI output adapter HDCP OFF version for Apple Cinema Displays. HDCP OFF version is important!!!!!!!!

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
This is fantastic! Thank You. How dit you know about the existance of this cable?

Jetty

macrumors newbie
Feb 29, 2024
Update: Got it to work thanks to @johnnymcc :)
I live in the Netherlands, I searched for a similar cable that is for sale in The Netherlands.
I found: Delock HDMI to USB Type-C Adapter.

This works! The USB-A cable I put in an ordinary USB power adapter.

So to get the old 30" Apple Cinema Display work with a MacBook Pro M3 Chip, I use :
1. my old StarTech USB-C to DVI Adapter - Dual-Link Connectivity - Active Conversion
2. Delock HDMI to USB Type-C Adapter.

Thank you, thank you thank you!

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I have a Mac mini M2 Pro and Lenovo T470S, they both are working with 30" Apple Cinema Display, using The Club 3D CAC-1510-A is a USB3.2 Gen1 Type-C input to Dual Link DVI-D or Single Link DVI output adapter HDCP OFF version for Apple Cinema Displays. HDCP OFF version is important!!!!!!!!
So are these two different CLUB3D Adapters ?
Club 3D CAC-1510 HDCP OFF
Club 3D CAC-1510 HDCP ON

Why are there two different adapters for the same 30"CinemaDisplay? That makes no sense.
I bought a CLUB3D 1510 Adapter and use it with my M1-MacMini connected to a 30" CinemaDisplay. It works just fine.

Now I bought a second 30" CinemaDisplay and I would like to connect my serpent canyon to it via usb-c. So what cable do I need to buy ?

Thx!

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
Club 3D CAC-1510 HDCP OFF

Club 3D CAC-1510 HDCP ON

Why are there two different adapters for the same 30"CinemaDisplay? That makes no sense.
It does make sense. Depends on the the version on the display.
I have a 30" Cinema Display manufactured in 2004. Which does not have HDCP support.
But I could not get mine to work using the adapter. As the screen becomes very distorted in full resolution.
I still functions as expected with my Mac Pro 3.1, with a GTX 670.

There was a refresh in 2006/2007 with HDCP

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
My 30" ACD that works with the 1510 Adapter works either with my M1 mini and also with the serpentcanyon.
I'll have to check which version of the 30" I am using.
I just bought a second 30" ACD and so I will check if this needs the 1510 or the 1510-A ? or how can the adapters be distinguished?

If you test an 30" ACD keep in Mind you have to power usb too in order to keep the monitor working. Luke reminded this too.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpeg
    IMG_1781.jpeg
    232.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
I just bought a second 30" ACD and so I will check if this needs the 1510 or the 1510-A ? or how can the adapters be distinguished?

If you test an 30" ACD keep in Mind you have to power usb too in order to keep the monitor working. Luke reminded this too.
I have the HDCP OFF. But I have not tested with usb power too. The screen started, but only functions properly in half resolution

IMG_7166.jpeg

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
As those on the forum know, I'm very much a user of and very appreciative of older Apple stuff

But isn't the 30" ACD pretty well surpassed in quality and usage experience at this point in time?

Display tech just seems like it has come a long way since those were state of the art, no?

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
OK, so we have it.
1510-A = HDCP-OFF
1510 = HDCP-ON

I do not care if this is "old tech" because it's quality tech and I just got my next 30" for 150 Euros...If you want to buy an ugly black but new "platickklumpen" then go for it...to my eyes the 30" ACD is so much better...if you spent 500-700 it's perhaps a different thing...but not for around 150 Euros.

Regulus67

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2023
Värmland, Sweden
As those on the forum know, I'm very much a user of and very appreciative of older Apple stuff

But isn't the 30" ACD pretty well surpassed in quality and usage experience at this point in time?

Display tech just seems like it has come a long way since those were state of the art, no?
It sure is, no comparison to new displays. I love my 5k iMac displays. The old one fits well with the MP 3.1.
I only tested if it would work on my Mac Pro 7.1. Before I got a display for it.
Now I use either the DIY 5k display, or a 27" Thunderbolt display (windows gaming).
:)

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
to my eyes the 30" ACD is so much better...if you spent 500-700 it's perhaps a different thing...but not for around 150 Euros.

Fair enough! I totally get that
Price matters a ton, for sure, and nothing tops the industrial design of the ACD30
Absolutely timeless and TOP quality look and feel to it (I think)

Reactions: dr.zeissler

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
How do I check which Version of the 30" ACD I have?
The next thing would be upgrading to M3 Mini when it is released....but as I read the thread...M3 does not work. That's bad so for the Lifetime of this 30" ACD it will most likely an M2pro Mini....hopefully this will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.