Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I bet when a company is acquired they loose their ambition. Imagine you have a few genius people start a company, work their ass off, hire the smartest people they can, give them a stake in the company, and everyone dreams of going public or being bought out by Apple. Once it actually happens I think it takes all the fun out of it. The brightest people probably leave if they can, and what's left is a group of employees taking orders from strangers, feeling confused and frustrated, and preforming poorly.

It could play that way. It could also create lots of new causal links in the company. I mean as the diverse teams needed to run a whole company spread out in various parts in the company they would make new friendly colleagues in those areas but also keep their old lunch buddies as well. Potentially generating a lot of new interaction in the process.

Also in smaller company two employees might be going head to head for promotion, yet in a larger company they both have room to expand their role and pay packet.

I suspect in the end it would be a bit of both.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I bet when a company is acquired they loose their ambition. Imagine you have a few genius people start a company, work their ass off, hire the smartest people they can, give them a stake in the company, and everyone dreams of going public or being bought out by Apple. Once it actually happens I think it takes all the fun out of it. The brightest people probably leave if they can, and what's left is a group of employees taking orders from strangers, feeling confused and frustrated, and preforming poorly.

So you figure this is what happened to Waze after Google acquired them?

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
He has no clue. He is just buying everything he can put his arms on hoping that this will spur growth but it ain't happening.

Lilo777...How are you doing? Good to see you posting. :) Don't you mean: He's buying everything he can put his hands on? I'm thinking you are not from the U.S. Am I right? :) Have a nice day. :)

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
So it could possibly alert you about a close football game, live news event,etc thats trending? Or am I missing a clearer use?

Social TV. Think that but also Netflix but smarter. Couple with gesture and voice controls it'll be the first truly smart tv.

----------

Did I miss something? What does a social analytics company have to do with TV?

You never comment on Twitter while watching TV?

everything-i

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2012
London, UK
Would've thought they could've hired some contractors to write the same kind of thing, for much less than $200 million.

Or, who knows... Topsy only has like two patents, but perhaps they're really good ones.

Much of the complexity with analytics is in data gathering. Data gathering systems tend to be complex to design and highly bespoke. That is where the value is here, in getting all the experience that has been built up by this companies employees over the years and in the systems that they will have already put together. There will almost certainly be some good IP there as well in areas that Apple is pretty weak in at the moment.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I actually have a hard time believing it has anything to do with Twitter trends. Topsy currently has access to the so-called Twitter Firehose, but Twitter could easily revoke that access at a whim if they didn't fancy the new competition or whatever.

I think this has more to do with the spirit of Topsy and their knowledge in algorithms to monitor and surface interesting trends. Maybe for an "iTV", sure, but hardly by using Twitter itself. In that case, I think they would use other data, perhaps user reviews and purchase patterns from the App Store. *shrug*

Maybe Apple wants to completely revise all their "Genius" features scattered around their ecosystem. I they currently are pretty stupid. "You may like this because you downloaded that! *lists some completely random app just in the same category*"

Could perhaps also be used to breathe new life into iAd by giving more interesting statistics for advertisers, that they will be willing to both pay more for, and develop iAds for in the first place.

Tiger8

macrumors 68020
May 23, 2011
Apple acquires a company for more than $200m:

"Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Apple acquires a company for $1b:

"Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans."

Apple acquires Google:

:confused:

LMAO! :D ! Thanks for a much needed morning laugh I almost spilled my coffee, that last line is a classic!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Twitter needs to be owned by Apple.

----------

You fried? :D next?

They don't need to buy twitter. Too expensive which is why they bought this company. A cheap entry into collecting everything twitter w/out disrupting the ecosystem or paying too much.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
200 million to follow twitter accounts? Please! There is something far far deeper to this young Frodo.

Poisonivy326

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2012
Probably analyzing trends to increase iAds. With more people using icloud and Apple servers for email it's time to ramp up those targeted ads!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
He has no clue. He is just buying everything he can put his arms on hoping that this will spur growth but it ain't happening.

We appreciate your wisdom, but a bit of reasoning might help us to appreciate it more :D

In case you didn't notice, this is sarcasm, and everyone knows that you will take any opportunity to badmouth Apple, and that you don't need any particular justification to do so.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
Waste of cash. Apple has never understood social. Not even close.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
They don't need to buy twitter. Too expensive which is why they bought this company. A cheap entry into collecting everything twitter w/out disrupting the ecosystem or paying too much.

Couldn't Twitter shut off the firehose now that Apple acquired Topsy?

----------

Waste of cash. Apple has never understood social. Not even close.

Isn't this the point of buying a company like this?

Smaugg

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2007
"An Apple spokesperson confirmed the acquisition with the company's standard line: "Apple buys smaller technology companies from time to time, and we generally do not discuss our purpose or plans.""

You mean they have more than one spokespeople? What do they do all day???

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.