Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bluerotkev

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
Read the icons

I'm sure the icon layout has already been mentioned and that it states date, time, place, 1 phone. It also states a singular underneath of let's talk iPhone (not iPhone's). Its still speculative, but I find it hilarious that people are getting genuinely upset that theres not going to be one particular type of handset. Does it really have that much of an effect on you?

Just to stick my two-cents in (pence here in Manchester), somebody mentioned that because its a numerical change in iOS, Apple WILL release the iPhone 5. Is that really a fact? Not sure, but I do know one thing, if and when they do launch something, it's going to get very, very busy at work :eek:

iPhone V is a much better name anyway.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
The major part of testing is the antennae system. With the tapered iPhone 5 having a completely different antennae design than the iPhone 4, putting the electronics inside an iPhone 4 chassis and using the iPhone 4's antennae isn't an effective test. Just using the iPhone 4 as a shell also doesn't work well, because even if not in use, I'd think the iPhone 4's metal band housing would change signal characteristics. Testing the iPhone 4 in an iPhone 3GS shell wasn't as big an issue since the iPhone 3GS was plastic.

I agree with this, but it makes me sad. We have actual parts showing up in a design surprisingly similar to the iPhone 4. The only evidence of a new design is some case designs, which were likely all manufactured based off of one leaked document, and that document could have easily been faked.

I'm thinking more and more that my second theory is true... "The new iPhone 5 will feature the same design as the iPhone 4, but the longer time between updates was to make sure iCloud and iOS 5 were working perfectly to avoid another MobileMe disaster."

raviadso

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2011
Apple WILL NOT release a cheap iphone...

they have the last gen 8Gb for that.

This is exactly it.

IPHONE 3GS will be discontinued

IPHONE 4 (n90, n92) will drop to the discount pricepoint that the 3GS was filling. It will get minor upgrades (antenna fix and a dual GSM/CDMA chip to consolidate it to one set of phones) the new models will get the name (n90a) to indicate that they are minor upgrades and unified chips. It will be produced in 8 and maybe 16gb.

IPHONE 4+ (n92) will be released only in asian markets. Asian markets will only get ONE model. It will be in iphone 4 casing and may have upgraded features and WILL have world modes.

IPHONE 5 (n100?) will be released October 14/15 on major carriers. It will have the A5, new housing, etc. It will fill the 199/299 price point that the 4 had before it. It will have a dual GSM/CDMA and there will be two capacities and both colors from launch. All carriers will get the same phones.

In North America and Europe there will only be two phones. The IPHONE 4 will continue to be sold and the IPHONE 5 will be introduced. ATT and Verizon will keep clearing out N90 phones and as they run out, they will be replaced with N90A phones without fanfare. Sprint will begin carrying the N90a beginning at the launch of the 5. That way they can smoothly transition to a single set of phones for all carriers and ATT/Verizon can transition the Iphone 4 from 200 to 150 to 100 to become the budget phone.

Unless you are in China/Asia you will not see an iphone 4S/4+. The rest of us will get a cheaper 4, and a brand new 5 with many of the rumored upgrades. Its all in the WSJ and reliable source leaks.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
1. This is off topic, don't hijack the thread.

Who made you the "thread police"?

This thread is about "Mr. X" revealing some new inventory placeholders for some devices that run iOS. Guess what. That would include :apple:TV. Hoping that an iOS-based device shows up at the Fall event makes perfect sense. Of all iOS-based devices that might show up, this happens to be the ONE in which I'm most interested.

2. This is a software restriction. You can stream native 1080p with the Apple TV 2 if you jailbreak it.

Don't want to jailbreak one. I want one that works that way in an Apple-endorsed, "don't be afraid to update the device when Apple releases new software" way.

And I don't believe you. Too many posts by people who say 1080p does not flow from the box to the HDTV. Please point me to a concrete link that shows that I can run it with it's native UI- not some other UI- and it will output 1080p... ideally without stuttering on fast-moving content. If you can't do that, I'll continue to hope that there is also an :apple:TV update rolled out at this event (the most likely event of the year where one may be released).

Thefan

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
I don't know why this is a surprise to people.
Apple are clearly going to only release an iPhone 4S with iOS next week.
Everyone who is on an iPhone 4 on a 2 year contract will can rest easy, as the real update will be next year, with the redesigned iPhone 5 and iOS6.
Why you lot get your knickers in a twist with "but iOS must come with iPhone 5"!.
no, it mustn't.
apple does what it likes.
thus iPhone 4S with iOS5
AND next year, iPhone 5 with iOS6.
and, no, this won't mess up Apple's numbering sequence.
it was purely coincindental that iPhone 4 came out with iOS4.

Simples.

Wow, another person who thinks Apple waited 16 months to offer an updated iphone 4, haha.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
You may be streaming 1080p files but what's arriving at your HDTV is 720p. Again, the current :apple:TV appears to have the "heavy lifting" part built inside, but a gate at the end down-converts 1080p to 720p before it sends it to your HDTV. You may have an HDTV that is then up-converting it back to 1080p but up-converting 720p to 1080p is not the same as watching native 1080p.

Eye candy or not is eye of the beholder stuff. When connecting the native video from the 1080 HD Camcorder to the HDTV and then comparing it to the :apple:TV render of the exact same video, EVERYONE in my household can see the difference. Rather than having to go to that trouble, I'd just love to buy some new hardware from Apple that removes that down-conversion gate.

you really do not grasp that concept do you?

the A4 is capable of rendering 1080P *GASPS* *heart attack*

the entire system can do 1080, Apple limits the resolution for whatever reason to 720P...

blacktape242

macrumors 68000
Dec 17, 2010
Sacramento, CA
I'm sure the icon layout has already been mentioned and that it states date, time, place, 1 phone. It also states a singular underneath of let's talk iPhone (not iPhone's). Its still speculative, but I find it hilarious that people are getting genuinely upset that theres not going to be one particular type of handset. Does it really have that much of an effect on you?

Just to stick my two-cents in (pence here in Manchester), somebody mentioned that because its a numerical change in iOS, Apple WILL release the iPhone 5. Is that really a fact? Not sure, but I do know one thing, if and when they do launch something, it's going to get very, very busy at work :eek:

iPhone V is a much better name anyway.

dont tell me your a city fan........ ;) :p

Windmill360

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Of course there will be, Apple are an innovative company, they dont sit around for 16 months putting an A5 into a iphone4. :)

This is esactly what they will be doing and have been doing now that jobs is gone. Apple has changed. Changed for the worst.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this whole "low-end" iPhone 4S nonsense is ludicrous? Why would Apple make a whole new phone for a low-end model? They just drop the price of the current iPhone 4, like they did for the 3GS, and then they have their low-end phone. They will just make an 8G iPhone 4 like they did with the 3GS. Theres not going to be a new device for a low-end model, and it certainly is not going to be called iPhone 4S.

As for the new iPhone, time will only tell if the redesign will happen. I for one believe that it will be called an iPhone 5, regardless if it's been redesigned or not. We can for sure expect to see the A5, 8mb camera, and 1gig ram. The rest (elongated gesture-area home button, bezel to bezel screen, thinner, teardrop shape, etc.) is up in the air and we will find out for sure on Oct. 4th.

I don't really care about iPod's seeing as how I use my phone for my iPod, but any kind of update is welcome. I don't think it will be anything too shocking though since the event will be mainly focused on new iPhone, iOS 5, and iCloud.

The rest of the event (iO5 + iCloud) should be just as exciting as the new iPhone. The new iOS will bring a lot of solid improvements to the software, and maybe we will be surprised with new unknown features like speech recognition; and hopefully iOS5 will be available shortly after the event.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
Glad we don't have long to wait.

If it had come out in summer an iPhone 4S would have felt more acceptable. After waiting unexpected months I am hopeful for something with more of a punch than just some spec bumps.

MightyMac007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
I'm confident there will be a "5". The secret of the "5" has been too closely guarded to be revealed in internal inventory number updates via "Mr. X". If Apple has gone to this much trouble to keep the "5" so secure, they're not going to let the cat out of the bag in this way. Instead, they'll just add the inventory numbers on launch day.

It's been 16 months. Something will be arriving besides an enhanced "4." Since the event has singled itself out as an iPhone event (even got iPod people wondering about discontinued units, etc), that "something" will be an impressive new iPhone. Not because iOS happens to be on version 5 but just because it makes the most sense.

If in the last 16 months Apple has only been able to enhance the guts of "4", they can easily put those guts in a new case design and call it "5". Sling a few adjectives like "magical", etc- just like the iPad 2 launch- and (especially) the crowd (here) will embrace it as a "5", gripe & whine about what it is lacking, then pre-order it in almost the same breath. When it arrives, they'll post how much better it is than the old "4," how much snappier mobile Safari is on the new one, "I don't know how "6" could get any better than this", "Die Samsung/HTC/etc die", etc.

This.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
you really do not grasp that concept do you?

I completely grasp the concept. You're offering me nothing new but maybe a good demonstration of what an *ss you can be.

the A4 is capable of rendering 1080P *GASPS* *heart attack*

And I didn't say anything different. So don't imply otherwise. A4 can do the "heavy lifting" part of rendering 1080p. The device just won't push that render to the HDTV at 1080p barring maybe a jailbreak & switch to some other UI. If I want another UI I can just go with any of this device's competitors: Roku for example, which doesn't need a jailbreak and UI change to push native 1080p to 1080p-capable TVs. But that completely misses the goal.

the entire system can do 1080, Apple limits the resolution for whatever reason to 720P...

So it doesn't do what I want it to do. Thus, the hope for a new one that will do what I want it to do... not through trickery... not through some unendorsed method that can be challenged with each Apple software update... not through some non-Apple UI... but through an Apple-endorsed update that gives a buyer what he wants.

Last edited:

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Wow, another person who thinks Apple waited 16 months to offer an updated iphone 4, haha.

And wow, another person who fails to realise that Apple would not rush iCloud (and therefore iOS 5) after the MobileMe debacle.

The delay is down to getting iCloud spot on from day one, along with iOS 5 ... in my opinion.

google

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
If Apple was planning to just release a updated version of iPhone 4 with little better internals, why would they delay the shipment of new phones? They obviously were working on a newer model to and to make sure they do not have delays like they did last year with the white iPhone.

ARM1968

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

There will be an iPhone 5. No S designation for the 4. 4 will become the entry level phone. This will be mentioned, but actual presentation will focus on the 5 after iOS5 introduction. Marketing is all. Enjoy next week.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
If Apple was planning to just release a updated version of iPhone 4 with little better internals, why would they delay the shipment of new phones? They obviously were working on a newer model to and to make sure they do not have delays like they did last year with the white iPhone.

Delayed shipments? Of a phone not even made public yet?

Behave.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
The delay is down to getting iCloud spot on from day one, along with iOS 5 ... in my opinion.

I hope they are successful with that. There are so many posts in the software threads about many issues lingering with iCloud software features. I hope this isn't like an OS X 10.X.0 release where they plan to fix the bulk of the bugs by about the 10.X.3 or 10.X.4 update.

Some of the iCloud promises are pretty cool and pretty handy. I hope they work well right out of the gate. And I hope the corresponding 10.7 update blends them well and fixes a few of the other 10.7 bugs. We'll all see soon enough.

And while I'm slinging all this hope: I hope the rumors for a Snow Leopard update supporting the iCloud features arrives as well.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
I completely grasp the concept. You're offering me nothing new but maybe a good demonstration of what an *ss you can be.

And I didn't say anything different. So don't imply otherwise. A4 can do the "heavy lifting" part of rendering 1080p. The device just won't push that render to the HDTV at 1080p barring maybe a jailbreak & switch to some other UI. If I want another UI I can just go with any of this device's competitors: Roku for example, which doesn't need a jailbreak and UI change to push native 1080p to 1080p-capable TVs. But that completely misses the goal.

So it doesn't do what I want it to do. Thus, the hope for a new one that will do what I want it to do... not through trickery... not through some unendorsed method that can be challenged with each Apple software update... not through some non-Apple UI... but through an Apple-endorsed update that gives a buyer what he wants.

dude, switch to some other UI?

you mean installing Cydia, and a single tweak?

yeah, you have no clue what your talking about...

----------

@Hobe.

don't expect a snow leopard icloud update...

iDavid4

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks this whole "low-end" iPhone 4S nonsense is ludicrous? Why would Apple make a whole new phone for a low-end model? They just drop the price of the current iPhone 4, like they did for the 3GS, and then they have their low-end phone. They will just make an 8G iPhone 4 like they did with the 3GS. Theres not going to be a new device for a low-end model, and it certainly is not going to be called iPhone 4S.

As for the new iPhone, time will only tell if the redesign will happen. I for one believe that it will be called an iPhone 5, regardless if it's been redesigned or not. We can for sure expect to see the A5, 8mb camera, and 1gig ram. The rest (elongated gesture-area home button, bezel to bezel screen, thinner, teardrop shape, etc.) is up in the air and we will find out for sure on Oct. 4th.

I don't really care about iPod's seeing as how I use my phone for my iPod, but any kind of update is welcome. I don't think it will be anything too shocking though since the event will be mainly focused on new iPhone, iOS 5, and iCloud.

The rest of the event (iO5 + iCloud) should be just as exciting as the new iPhone. The new iOS will bring a lot of solid improvements to the software, and maybe we will be surprised with new unknown features like speech recognition; and hopefully iOS5 will be available shortly after the event.

No you're not the only one. I agree we'll only see one "new" iPhone (an A5-based iPhone) and an 8gb A4 based iPhone 4. It makes sense, follows the numbers posted here, and is totally in line with what Apple has done before.

I think the big selling point will be iOS5, and that is the reason it's been 16 months since the last iPhone.

The tagline of the event is probably highly informative. No post that I've seen here has mentioned that that it could be read as "Let's Talk, iPhone" - spoken by someone speaking to their iPhone.

I think Apple cares less about how the hardware looks than how you interact with the hardware via iOS5. Who knows; Apple might not think the user needs a 4.5" screen to type a text message when you can just say it into the phone.

alirz

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2011
Montreal,Canada
Of course there will be, Apple are an innovative company, they dont sit around for 16 months putting an A5 into a iphone4. :)

Yes they are innovative. But at the sametime, they do have the habit of staying behind (techincally wise) in their products. As long as iphone 4 is selling good, they very well might not see the need for ip5.
Like zombies people will still buy whatever crap is released. Myself included :)

DotCom2

macrumors 603
Feb 22, 2009

Perhaps because they were waiting for iCloud and iOS5 to be perfectly ready.

gloryunited

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2010
No you're not the only one. I agree we'll only see one "new" iPhone (an A5-based iPhone) and an 8gb A4 based iPhone 4. It makes sense, follows the numbers posted here, and is totally in line with what Apple has done before.

I think the big selling point will be iOS5, and that is the reason it's been 16 months since the last iPhone.

The tagline of the event is probably highly informative. No post that I've seen here has mentioned that that it could be read as "Let's Talk, iPhone" - spoken by someone speaking to their iPhone.

I think Apple cares less about how the hardware looks than how you interact with the hardware via iOS5. Who knows; Apple might not think the user needs a 4.5" screen to type a text message when you can just say it into the phone.

This makes the most sense.

Although I 100% agree with previous posters that software is key to a solid user experience, I'd still love to see a completely new "iPhone 5" to go with the much improved iOS5. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.