Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

businezguy

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
I'm sorry, I really cannot understand this thread at all.

People are posting here as if Apple comes along to carriers, they cancel all their pre-booked work for other companies, cast them aside as they are in some way unimportant, and take Apples work instead.

Are we in kindergarten mentality in this thread?

Samsung could pre book a lot of space on a carrier, so could Microsoft, So could Sony, so could "I" to ferry my collection of back yard dust around.

This is a very odd thread.

Its not as if, a car hire firm had cars booked for 1000's of normal people, the US government came along and said cancel the pro-booking for the normal scum US residents, they can wait, we want all the cars for our high class people.

Apple, or anyone else has booked shipping in advance to move the stock it needs to now, and due to this pre booking there may be less space at the moment due to this.

What is the amazing big deal over it?

Really, many adults here are acting like a my dad is bigger than your dad contest at school.

Maybe I can break things down for you. You see, you *could* reserve pre-booking space for your backyard dust, but the would "could" means you haven't. I'd imagine, due to the cost, you aren't going to in the future, as "could" also implies "won't".

The difference here is Apple actually *is* pre-booking shipping space for a large amount of orders, which is constraining shipping space for other major companies. This implies Apple is spending a lot of money to ship a large amount of items from China to the US. Since companies don't generally have the confidence to do this, it means Apple is very confident in the products they sell, and that's impressive.

Now if you'll excuse me, my little hands need to try to get my little 8-ounce milk carton open. If only they'd innovate there.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
And yes, when Apple calls, there are indeed many companies that "cancel all their pre-booked work for other companies" to "take up Apple's work instead". Believe it or not, it actually happens.

I would question if that is actually legal unless they wish to be taken to court and sued for millions.

You think a company can sign a legally binding contract to ship items for a multimillion dollar company, then at the last moment cancel the contract as they have had a bit better offer at the last moment from someone else?

This is not some dodgy unreliable taxi service we are talking about that just decides not to turn up for your pre booking for a meal out that night. it's giant international shipping companies.

MentalFloss

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2012
You think a company can sign a legally binding contract to ship items for a multimillion dollar company, then at the last moment cancel the contract as they have had a bit better offer at the last moment from someone else?

Next time you ship something, read the fine print in your contract.

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA
Do you have a source for that? I'd be slightly shocked if pilots didn't know that an extensive fire in a cargo hold is close to impossible, seeing how the cargo holds are sealed, and the oxygen would be exhausted very quickly.

In any case, there is much more hazardous material than iPhone batteries which pilots fly every day.

Fires on airplanes are bad, especially when the nearest fire station is 7 miles away.

Straight down, if you're lucky, but you're not going to aim it straight down and pull out of the dive, Bugs Bunny style.

Yes, they are rare, but not impossible. If they weren't rare, steps would be taken to make them so.

Plus, that sealed area can become unsealed should a hole be burnt into the fuselage, where you not only have a fresh source of air, but a 600mph fan blowing it in.

lurepe

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2014
Decatur
Gigantic carbon footprint yay!!!!! ^_^
Got my camp set up in front of the glass temple last night yay friends, pretend camp fire app on our tiny screens 12 of us combined makes a comfy fire, who forgot the marshmallows - bad bad boy!

I love you all :D

Given the shipping news, it sounds like the iPhones, at least the 4.7 inchers, will be available for sale on Friday. Good Luck :)

PowerBook-G5

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2013
I can imagine the guys at FEDEx in China: "WE NEED MORE PLANES!"

Also, I can't wait for the announcement! Hopefully Apple will pull something that we didn't expect out of nowhere and amaze us!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Maybe I can break things down for you. You see, you *could* reserve pre-booking space for your backyard dust, but the would "could" means you haven't. I'd imagine, due to the cost, you aren't going to in the future, as "could" also implies "won't".

The difference here is Apple actually *is* pre-booking shipping space for a large amount of orders, which is constraining shipping space for other major companies. This implies Apple is spending a lot of money to ship a large amount of items from China to the US. Since companies don't generally have the confidence to do this, it means Apple is very confident in the products they sell, and that's impressive.

Now if you'll excuse me, my little hands need to try to get my little 8-ounce milk carton open. If only they'd innovate there.

Yes, I agree with you totally.
Hence I don't see what the BIG WHOOP is here?

We all know Apple chooses to pre-build and ship a lot of items at the last moment ready for launch.

I guess I just think this is so common knowledge, and something they have done for years. I can't even really see why it's a BIG story.

It's like, well, what do you expect?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Next time you ship something, read the fine print in your contract.

I'm sure contacts are vastly different between companies shipping items with millions of dollars in shipping costs and you or I shipping a shoe box to our relatives.

I struggle to see this scenario happening you are suggesting:

Apple says to Fedex, ok, guys, the lorries will start arriving in two days time at the airport for our multi million dollar once in a year product launch happening next Tuesday.

There will be 20 lorries a day, so everything ok yes?

Fedex Turning to Apple and saying. Oh sorry, Samsung has just been on the phone this morning, and made us a better offer, we'll be shipping their items instead now.

We can fit you in probably in another two weeks, unless a better offer comes along. That ok with you Apple?

That is the scenario you are saying happens?

Really ?

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
Are we in kindergarten mentality in this thread?.
LMAO you realize this is mac rumors? The majority of members are probably under the age of 20. When the first mock ups for the iPhone 6 surfaced everyone was up in arms about loosing the true tone flash, not paying attention to earlier reports of Apple buying a micro led firm. Macrumor members are notorious for not making connections and jumping to conclusions. This just goes on and on.....

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
Most of my friends are using the iPhone 5. I know the 5s sold more, but still most people that I know seem to be on the 5. I can think of only two people that I know have the 5s.

So Apple may be right that a serious upgrade driven boost is going to help the i6.

i agree. i didn't see the need to want to even try to upgrade for how small of difference the 5s brought. Speed wise the 5 is a plenty fast phone.

anthonymaw

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2005
If they told people to go to the Foxconn factory gates in China to "get it first" I bet some people would actually do it!

geo1378

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
The worst part about the waiting for me is not knowing if a 5.5 inch is coming out at the same time. I am excited to get a bigger iPhone but i really want the 5.5. I also don't want to wait weeks later or worse a month or two later. I hope apple surprises us and has a large supply and releases both sizes at same time. But i am being realistic, tuesday needs to get here!

geo1378

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2014
all apple staff in apples headquaters have there iphone 6's already

if that is true they wouldn't allow them to leave apple workplace with it. if they take it out in public we would see pictures. So i doubt this is true

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
A private company can prioritize whoever the hell they want. Welcome to the wonderful world of capitalism.
The Federal Reserve does it 24/7. :cool:

Wilson+Cast+Away.jpg

mikefj2004

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Fishy article

I find this article a bit hard to believe. All big companies including Apple contract shipping space from the big 3 shipping companies. Failure from anyone of those companies to meet such a contractual obligation would pile in law suits from all over. While Apple may have larger shipment manifests around this time of the year, I find it hard to believe that UPS, FEDEX or USPS could tell their big customers, "sorry, we can't fulfill your shipment order." This article is just a bit unbelievable.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I find this article a bit hard to believe. All big companies including Apple contract shipping space from the big 3 shipping companies. Failure from anyone of those companies to meet such a contractual obligation would pile in law suits from all over. While Apple may have larger shipment manifests around this time of the year, I find it hard to believe that UPS, FEDEX or USPS could tell their big customers, "sorry, we can't fulfill your shipment order." This article is just a bit unbelievable.

Exactly.

Can you imagine the multi million/billion law suits if Fedex told Apple, we changed our mind, not going to ship your iPhones for launch, as Samsung made us a better offer last week, so we decided we'd not honor our contract with you that you booked 6 months ago.

Idiotic to even suggest this is how they work

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
This is what happens when you poke a giant.

ummm this happens everytime apple launches a new product ;)

No poking/provoking, just business as usual, just this time, being a slow day in the news, this made it on the homepage.

----------

I hope everything goes well, FEDEX always caused me problems, their employees steal packages, 3 of my packages got lost at different time, and their horrible NON CustomerService is the worst part, they didn't want to be responsible, the I love UPS

Though they have never lost an iphone before launch ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.