Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
To be honest, I certainly would not want to be an employee of FedEx. To go a slightly bit PRSI-leaning, but as an Amer. Indian, I certainly wouldn't want to support or sponsor a stadium for a certain NFL team who uses a racial slur for their team's name, and is stubborn against changing it, based on a false sense of "tradition". Same reason why I've moved away from Bank of America.

I was lucky the last time I bought my 4S, as it came to me via UPS. I'm hoping the same when I get the new one.

However, the company that would be great to own some share of around this time, is FlightAware. Think of how much revenue they are generating when everyone goes to track the flight their iPhone is on.

BL.

It was a joke...

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
I too am looking forward to the event. I'm a commodore 64 user *love my 128D* but first and foremost a Mac user too.

Lol I see what u did there. ;)

Anyways, Apple FTW. And when a iPhone Phablet is released I will switch from my "primitive" technology to the cutting, bleeding edge technology apple is known for. :apple:

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Umm.. no. There is no such thing as the "federal reserve." There is a Federal Reserve System, which has a number of components, some public, some private. Privately owned banks are among the components of the system.

Fed policy is set by the Governors, who are appointed by the President of the US, and are confirmed by the Senate. The President can remove a Fed Governor for cause.

The Federal Reserve System was set up by Act of Congress, and could be dismantled at any time by the same.

Regarding "ownership", the Fed does in fact generate profits, but these all go to the US Federal government.
There is a Federal Reserve Bank. In fact there are 12. The Federal Reserve system is not a government owned system. It is private. It's an "independent central bank". I guess you could say it is a cartel. [The Federal Reserve] is considered an independent central bank because its decisions do not have to be approved by the President or anyone else in government. They use the name Federal Reserve because it gives the illusion that it is run by the nation/people/government.

This summary is succinct:
1. The Fed is privately owned.

Its shareholders are private banks. In fact, 100% of its shareholders are private banks. None of its stock is owned by the government.

2. The fact that the Fed does not get “appropriations” from Congress basically means that it gets its money from Congress without congressional approval, by engaging in “open market operations.”

Here is how it works: When the government is short of funds, the Treasury issues bonds and delivers them to bond dealers, which auction them off. When the Fed wants to “expand the money supply” (create money), it steps in and buys bonds from these dealers with newly-issued dollars acquired by the Fed for the cost of writing them into an account on a computer screen. These maneuvers are called “open market operations” because the Fed buys the bonds on the “open market” from the bond dealers. The bonds then become the “reserves” that the banking establishment uses to back its loans. In another bit of sleight of hand known as “fractional reserve” lending, the same reserves are lent many times over, further expanding the money supply, generating interest for the banks with each loan. It was this money-creating process that prompted Wright Patman, Chairman of the House Banking and Currency Committee in the 1960s, to call the Federal Reserve “a total money-making machine.” He wrote:

“When the Federal Reserve writes a check for a government bond it does exactly what any bank does, it creates money, it created money purely and simply by writing a check.”

The Federal Reserve was set up in 1913 as a “lender of last resort” to backstop bank runs. The Fed’s purpose is to keep the private banking system intact; and that means keeping a monopoly on creating the national money supply. Every dollar in circulation is now created privately as a debt to the Federal Reserve or the banking system it heads.

Last edited:

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
To be honest, I certainly would not want to be an employee of FedEx. To go a slightly bit PRSI-leaning, but as an Amer. Indian, I certainly wouldn't want to support or sponsor a stadium for a certain NFL team who uses a racial slur for their team's name, and is stubborn against changing it, based on a false sense of "tradition". Same reason why I've moved away from Bank of America.

BL.

Seriously? The team name thing is really a big deal? I can't believe that. So if the Redskins changed their name to the "white guys", that'd be better?

Don't people have better things to do or more important things to worry about? Guess not!

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Fedex wont be flying the McDonald Douglass MD 11 (picture above) because of the range from China, it would be using the Boeing 777F... Hypothetically speaking if one 777 cargo is nothing but iphone 6's... we are looking at 10 to 20 million iphones per shipment from China.. give or take

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
lol @ causing shipments for other ‘top tier’ device makers to be delayed to make way for Apple products.

Yes :) we are the best. forget the rest..

Let all those other buggers wait. Apple for the win.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
Which "long term" are you talking about? I made my first stock purchase about ten years ago. I feel quite well rewarded. My highest cost basis is ~$45 (split-adjusted, now up %100). And that was some time in 2011-2012. Again, I feel well rewarded. Would you like to sell today? "A fool and his money..."

I have held AAPL for longer than 10 years and have done well. in my post the long term references the two years of zero performance / dead money. It is a concerning trend - hopefully we will see some new category game changing introductions shortly.

If I wanted to sell I would have sold. I am banking on the remaining Apple culture to propel some game changing innovation to the market. We will have some clarity shortly I guess.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Fedex wont be flying the McDonald Douglass MD 11 (picture above) because of the range from China, it would be using the Boeing 777F... Hypothetically speaking if one 777 cargo is nothing but iphone 6's... we are looking at 10 to 20 million iphones per shipment from China.. give or take

Unless they're pre-boxed, then:

Boeing 777 cargo = 23,000 cubic feet

iPhone box = ~ 3x4x6 = 24 boxes per cubic foot

23,000 x 24 = ~ 500,000 iPhones per freighter

Edit: it just hit me that's about $300 million of cargo, street-price. It's a small wonder that no one's ever hijacked one of these freighters for sale or ransom, or at least made a movie about doing so :)

Last edited:

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Manufacturing the iPhone in the US would cost much more than $50/unit over manufacturing in China. If the iPhone was built in the US, it would sell a fraction of the units and Apple would be out of business in no time. You simply can't afford that type of large-scale production in the US.

Legitimately, we don't have big enough CITIES with spare workers. The biggest plants in the USA top out at maybe 1000-2000 workers... The Chinese factories are 3000-4000 workers per shift at multiple sites. No city on the US has capability for THAT size of workforce.. It's simply not practical here. (Space, transportation, power grid, etc)

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
Do you have a source for that? I'd be slightly shocked if pilots didn't know that an extensive fire in a cargo hold is close to impossible, seeing how the cargo holds are sealed, and the oxygen would be exhausted very quickly.

In any case, there is much more hazardous material than iPhone batteries which pilots fly every day.

A pallet of hot Li-ion batteries catching in fire could literally burn hot enough to cut a hole in your plane. All those phones are wrapped up tight with a little tinder between them to get them going.

That is a worse-case situation..,

Muscle Master

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2010
Philadelphia
Apple Again Dominating Shipping Capacity Out of China Ahead of iPhone 6 Launch

Unless they're pre-boxed, then:

Boeing 777 cargo = 23,000 cubic feet

iPhone box = ~ 3x4x6 = 24 boxes per cubic foot

23,000 x 24 = ~ 500,000 iPhones per freighter

That's not right at all even though the math makes since... the 777F cargo capacity can hold up to 23 Pallets... That's a lot of iPhones The 777F cargo pallet size is way bigger than this : ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410144288.607089.jpg

And twice as high as well... I personally seen how the iPhone is shipped in bulk cause we had a cargo shipment fly on US Airways and offloading the flight.. A box tore open and 53 iPhones fell out

Last edited:

Moto G

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2014
Related news:

~~ MacDonalds sell more burgers in the rush hour on a Saturday.

~~ Shops sell lots of Christmas trees at Christmas.

~~ Roads are busy when lots of cars are on them.

What an utterly ridiculous, moronic website this is. Coming next week:

"iPhone 6 sales figures are high"

Un_be_lievable....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.