Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Because iOS, watchOS, and tvOS all share a common naming scheme, there's been some speculation that OS X, the operating system for Macs, could see a name change to "MacOS" at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Earlier this year, Apple referenced "MacOS" in an environmental website update, and today the company has made the same gaffe on a developer FAQ page outlining new App Store revenue sharing policies, again raising the question of whether a name change is on the horizon.

In a section on when the new revenue split goes into effect, Apple references the types of apps that are eligible, listing iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

applemacosmention-800x220.jpg

Unlike the first time "MacOS" was spotted on the Apple website, the iTunes Connect mention uses "macOS" with a lowercase "m" that better fits with the lower case letters used in iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.

It continues to be unknown if the macOS mention is a mistake made because of the naming of Apple's other operating systems or an error made because of an imminent name change planned for OS X.

If Apple is planning to switch from "OS X" to "macOS" or "MacOS," it is not clear if the company will continue on with naming each iteration after California landmarks, a tradition that started with OS X Mavericks in 2013. tvOS, watchOS, and iOS operating system upgrades follow a number-based naming scheme.

We don't have long to wait to find out if there's a naming change in store for Apple's Mac-based operating system. The Worldwide Developers Conference is set to kick off next Monday with a keynote event that will take place at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

Update: Apple has updated the page to change "macOS" to "OS X."

Article Link: Apple Again References 'MacOS', This Time on Developer Website

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The little "m" works for me because it's consistent with the other naming conventions. Sure, it looks weird today, but we'll eventually get used to it. It's like when they changed the name from Mac OS X to just OS X. At least the word "mac" is back in the name now.

snow7551

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2015
i think some in major is coming too IOS 10 i think we may see a major UI over hall

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Makes perfect sense to me -- good branding. OS X was original Mac OS X. Somehow the Mac got kicked to the curb but I don't know why because OS X isn't all that descriptive of a name. It's seems like its a generic OS because few realize it's not OS "ex" but OS ten. Even when OS X came out people still called it OS "ex". That should have been a clue.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It makes sense. iOS, watchOS, tvOS and OS X. Which one is the odd one out?

But now iOS makes no sense anymore...

Somehow the Mac got kicked to the curb but I don't know why because OS X isn't all that descriptive of a name.

Because nobody ever said Mac OS X. Even Steve Jobs frequently called it just OS X on stage long before they changed it officially.

ILikeAllOS

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Tampa Bay
Makes sense but still sad to see after all these years of calling it "Mac OS".
I guess it's better than the old scheme of calling it "System" like Apple did prior to Mac OS 8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.