Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

justmewhoelse

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2015
This matters why?

Because iOS, watchOS, and tvOS all share a common naming scheme, there's been some speculation that OS X, the operating system for Macs, could see a name change to "MacOS" at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference.

Earlier this year, Apple referenced "MacOS" in an environmental website update, and today the company has made the same gaffe on a developer FAQ page outlining new App Store revenue sharing policies, again raising the question of whether a name change is on the horizon.

In a section on when the new revenue split goes into effect, Apple references the types of apps that are eligible, listing iOS, macOS, tvOS, and watchOS.

applemacosmention-800x220.jpg

Unlike the first time "MacOS" was spotted on the Apple website, the iTunes Connect mention uses "macOS" with a lowercase "m" that better fits with the lower case letters used in iOS, watchOS, and tvOS.

It continues to be unknown if the macOS mention is a mistake made because of the naming of Apple's other operating systems or an error made because of an imminent name change planned for OS X.

If Apple is planning to switch from "OS X" to "macOS" or "MacOS," it is not clear if the company will continue on with naming each iteration after California landmarks, a tradition that started with OS X Mavericks in 2013. tvOS, watchOS, and iOS operating system upgrades follow a number-based naming scheme.

We don't have long to wait to find out if there's a naming change in store for Apple's Mac-based operating system. The Worldwide Developers Conference is set to kick off next Monday with a keynote event that will take place at 10:00 a.m. Pacific Time.

(Thanks, Guilherme!)

Article Link: Apple Again References 'MacOS', This Time on Developer Website

austinmcguire

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2006
Does anyone remember when Apple was sued by a company called Macos when they released Mac OS 8 instead of calling it System 8? I wish I could find the link, but this was back in 1997.

Reactions: xnu

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
Two things: using a lowercase 'm' could and likely would weaken Apple's 'Mac' trademark over time. Also, 2. yes they are going to rebrand OS X, because iOS 10 sounds almost identical and that would be very confusing for the customer.

Reactions: Tim macAddicted

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
‘macOS’... I cannot believe it. Looks really cheesy.

Some people said the exact same thing when they renamed the Powerbook/iBook to Macbook Pro/Macbook. Guess what happened? Those people got over it, and months later stopped caring. You'll stop caring soon too.

Oh sorry, what I meant to say is, "oh man Steve would never let this happen/is probably doing barrel-rolls in his grave/Apple is doomed/blah blah".

GhostRaider

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
They're changing it to macOS because of iOS X. OS X and iOS X sound very similar, hence there can be some confusion or slip ups. Of course this can also signify the end of iOS number scheme and adopt a similar naming scheme used such as Yosemite or El Capitan.

Reactions: marvz

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
I have a bad feeling about WWDC this year.

Almost every single news or rumour to come from Apple in the past year has been bad. The latest include app subscriptions and ads in the App Store. No thanks; I hate subscriptions with a vengeance and the same with ads.

The end of iTunes downloads? Two rumours suggests there's a fire. I'd use a mix of Amazon and CDs if iTunes shut down.

The whole approach Apple is taking under Cook is encouraging me to look at alternatives to Apple and technology in general. I have fallen out of love with the tech world. It is obsessed with ripping people off with IAPs and subscriptions, and there is nothing exciting anymore. Everything is static. Music has died; culture has died; hardware and software have atrophied. The world is running madly and going nowhere.

Aldaris

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2004
Salt Lake
Forgive me if someone beat me to this, but in the past OSX had both numerical and code names/reference names: puma, jaguar, lion, mountain lion, leopard, snow leopard, Panther, all that stuff (not in order). It'd be a safe bet that macOS will also have numerical as well as code name/marketing naming too, probably keeping with California theming (seriously I think they'd have more than 3, and didn't they add trademarks for more than the three?)

Anyway just my thought.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
The whole California landmark thing always seemed a bit 'meh' (marketing team must have loved it), maybe I'm just bitter because I'm Canadian. I like macOS, looks good.
Not only that but after so many named versions, you start to forget which one is which. The cat themes werent as hard to wrap my head around but place names is idiotic. I hope it will be called macOS 11.

Reactions: Sandstorm

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Some people said the exact same thing when they renamed the Powerbook/iBook to Macbook Pro/Macbook. Guess what happened? Those people got over it, and months later stopped caring. You'll stop caring soon too.

Good thing that I was not around back then. ;) All of these names are fine. I would like Mac OS or MacOS, but this macOS seems too forced and immature. This new convention came out of nowhere and the only two products that use it are watchOS and tvOS, two derivatives of iOS, which is itself a derivative of OS X. They have not proven their worth yet to have such an influence on the identity of the entire ecosystem. There is this symbolism that longstanding and established brands don’t seem to be in high regard at Apple anymore and I feel that it cheapens the maturity and heritage of OS X. I just don’t get it.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I always thought the name, "OS X" was lame. Even though I know its "ten" I still read X every time, then have to translate to Roman numerals for a microsecond every time. It's cuteness wore off long ago. MacOS or macOS is way better.

MacOS is the the best. It's comes on with authority. macOS kind dribbles out like bad diarrhea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.