Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
You have fought well with great honor
That is important. Apple should make sure that it is a settlement where Samsung's honor is maintained since in that part of the world 'honor' is a big deal indeed.

we're talking about Samsung. We all know they have no shame
Apple, you are not going to lead with that, are you? :)

Last edited:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
This whole proxy war has gone overboard.

Did Samsung make the software? Is it the touch wiz part Apple is after? Or is it the Android as a whole?

Then take it up with Google.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
That is until Samsung discontinue the manufacturing of all the Apple devices they make. Samsung holds just as many cards as Apple in this. And if you ask me, the entire thing is hilarious.

And why would Samsung's manufacturing division, which has almost 0 ties to the mobile device division making Galaxy smartphones and has it's own financial goals to make each year, decide to cancel huge lucrative orders of Apple's components? Samsung is a HUGE company where divisions feel like entire separate companies.

----------

That is important. Apple should make sure that it is a settlement where Samsung's honor is maintained since in that part of the world 'honor' is a big deal indeed.

Just start the settlement with "With a courageous and enviable effort put forth by the defendants, we humbly agree that honor is served and that a settlement between two great warring factions is needed to maintain balance in the tech blogoverse"

or just screw it and say "Samsung, you bunch of losers, got you red handed so stop copying our stuff...and no Kimchi for you! 2 years!"

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Apple apologised for Mobile Me.
Apple apologised for Ping.
Apple apologised for Maps.
Apple apologised for leaving the EPAT (or whatever you call it).

Yet they didn't apologise for a design failure in the iPhone 4 antenna. Instead they tried to divert the attention to other brands instead of just admitting they made a mistake.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Yet they didn't apologise for a design failure in the iPhone 4 antenna. Instead they tried to divert the attention to other brands instead of just admitting they made a mistake.
That's because there was no fault in the iPhone 4. The vocal minority tried to make up an iPhone 4 fault that was not there.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
That's because there was no fault in the iPhone 4. The vocal minority tried to make up an iPhone 4 fault that was not there.

So much of a "no fault" that people successfully sued Apple over it. My iPhone 4 certainly had the problem which probably wasn't helped with the piss poor connections in my area, but either way it existed and was damn annoying unless you had a case.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
A cross-licensing deal usually doesn't mean "I get all your cool design patents and you get our standard essential patents that we should already supply through FRAND, and we just call it even."

Just call it day at $15 per device to Apple from Samsung on every device using touchWiz going forward. Samsung will be on some other platform soon enough. Call it a truce already Samsung, you lost. You have fought well with great honor, now shut up.

Frand does not equate to free. It's still a negotiated rate. Something Apple is having trouble reaching an agreement on with Samsung."Fair" is where the courts come in.

Second - Why should Samsung pay $15 per device running touchwiz now when they've already made significant changes that don't violate remotely the same or same # patents. You realize that much of these lawsuits are for models no longer sold, right?

And just because Samsung MAY move to another platform - or add another platform they support, doesn't mean they should just roll over. Since this forum likes bad analogies - that would be like you moving to a new state but someone expecting you to just pay an exorbitant last electric bill regardless if it's accurate. After all - you're going to a new electric company - you should just suck up and pay off the fee. :rolleyes:

----------

So much of a "no fault" that people successfully sued Apple over it. My iPhone 4 certainly had the problem which probably wasn't helped with the piss poor connections in my area, but either way it existed and was damn annoying unless you had a case.

There was a significant issue. Jobs as much said so. He smoke and mirrored the thing by saying ALL phones have this issue - but that doesn't mean the iPhone DIDN'T. He tried to throw other phones "under the bus" with a lot of rhetoric. If you didn't want to believe it - you could be easily sold.

And that's actually the bigger issue I had with this problem (And I was one of the few to hear directly from Jobs (or at least his alias) on this - you can check MR). Whether or not there was an issue - Apple's handling of the situation was piss-poor. You don't tell customers they're holding it wrong. Or that it's not an issue. Some forum members here criticize Microsoft or Samsung for insulting the intelligence of Apple users - but this was at least one instance I can name where Apple insulted their own customers.

kdarling

macrumors P6
There was a significant issue. Jobs as much said so. He smoke and mirrored the thing by saying ALL phones have this issue - but that doesn't mean the iPhone DIDN'T.

Even iPhone honcho Tony Fadell admitted later that they had made a mistake keeping all the test phones in camouflage cases for secrecy, and for allowing form to take precedence over function.

antennagate_fadell.png

It didn't help that Apple's signal strength status code turned out to display too many bars, also hiding the problem.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Even iPhone honcho Tony Fadell admitted later that they had made a mistake keeping all the test phones in camouflage cases for secrecy, and for allowing form to take precedence over function.

View attachment 454158

It didn't help that Apple's signal strength status code turned out to display too many bars, also hiding the problem.

And that their "fix" was to fix the strength code - something that was tweaked way back because people complained their iPhones got LESS of a signal than other phones.

This tactic was another smoke and mirror trick and a way for Apple to look like they were being uber-honest by reprogramming to provide (finally) the real signal strength

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
samsung is like almost every business though. it will never willingly admit when it was in the wrong. So the only way to get what you deserve with samsung is through the legal system (hoping the legal system does a just and fair job on the day).

Only the lawyers win.

I'm in the wrong line of work. Definitely, definitely the wrong line of work. :)

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
You have a link for that?

I found this that says they are increasing http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2573415

Yes their smartphone business is still increasing. Either way, they are winning...

Also, I ignored the link from Appleinsider as it was bound to be utter nonsense.

There you go again. "Winning." As if Andy Rubin were still running Android at Google.
They've demoted him to chief of reverse-engineering Boston Dynamics' Big Dog.
So they can put it in self-driving cars and have it prance around with ads on its flanks.
Too bad it has no head. If it did, they could make it wear Google Glass.

Oh, and by the way, the AppleInsider article is brilliant.
Read it. Learn. Open your mind, stop drinking the Googleaid.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Also, I ignored the link from Appleinsider as it was bound to be utter nonsense.

You're correct. That article tried to (and apparently did) fool people by mixing up various stats.

First it said that Samsung high end sales were flat between 2Q and 3Q 2013. Then it bogusly contrasted that to a 26% Apple sales increase between 3Q 2012 and 3Q 2013... a whole year apart instead of just a quarter.

--

What the article cleverly left out was that:

Apple's sales were also flat between 2Q and 3Q 2013. So there was no difference between quarters for both it and Samsung.

The big difference is that year over year between 3Q 2012 and 2013, Samsung's total smartphone sales grew 55%, higher than the industry average 45%. So Samsung had a TWICE as big year-over-year increase as the lower than average Apple's 26% cited in the AI article.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/28/s...n-q3-and-samsung-grew-twice-as-fast-as-apple/

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
This one. A hell of a lot of the componants used by Apple in their products are made by Samsung.

Just because Samsung makes some components, or it used to (designed by Apple itself, except some screens) does not make Samsung manifacturer of Apple products. Ever heard of Foxconn? That's where Apple devices are manufactured.

A hell lot of them??? Geeee! I know it used to do the displays and processors, don't know where you get the rest!

fredaroony

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
Oh, and by the way, the AppleInsider article is brilliant.

This is why I know not to take you seriously...

----------

You're correct. That article tried to (and apparently did) fool people by mixing up various stats.

First it said that Samsung high end sales were flat between 2Q and 3Q 2013. Then it bogusly contrasted that to a 26% Apple sales increase between 3Q 2012 and 3Q 2013... a whole year apart instead of just a quarter.

--

What the article cleverly left out was that:

Apple's sales were also flat between 2Q and 3Q 2013. So there was no difference between quarters for both it and Samsung.

The big difference is that year over year between 3Q 2012 and 2013, Samsung's total smartphone sales grew 55%, higher than the industry average 45%. So Samsung had a TWICE as big year-over-year increase as the lower than average Apple's 26% cited in the AI article.

http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/28/s...n-q3-and-samsung-grew-twice-as-fast-as-apple/

Exactly and just like every other article on that terrible site. They can't write or report anything without having a dig at another brand. All articles are so Apple biased they aren't credible.

The forums are littered with psychotics and quite a few racists that go unchecked. I've seen your posts on there and also the typical responses you get. Surprised you haven't been banned for having common sense.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011

Winning in court is all about having a good lawyer and the legal system on your side. It has not been about the pursuit of truth in the USA for a long time.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Winning in court is all about having a good lawyer and the legal system on your side. It has not been about the pursuit of truth in the USA for a long time.

Doesn't disprove my point. Antennagate existed. And if a winning lawsuit isn't enough proof then it existed so much that Apple even gave out free cases and also did a keynote attempting to shift the blame from them to the entire industry.

If it didn't exist, we wouldn't have heard about it and my iPhone 4 would have had no signal problems.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Doesn't disprove my point. Antennagate existed. And if a winning lawsuit isn't enough proof then it existed so much that Apple even gave out free cases and also did a keynote attempting to shift the blame from them to the entire industry.

If it didn't exist, we wouldn't have heard about it and my iPhone 4 would have had no signal problems.

Companies do things to appease vocal minorities all the time. Because a PR disaster (even due to no fault of the company) can cost the company millions. Apple didn't want the vocal minority brewing up a *****torm. So Apple gave out the bumpers to shut them up. Everyone else with an iPhone 4 benefited too. So a win-win for all.

Antennagate existed. You are not wrong there. But I think you don't get what Antennagate really was. Just a vocal minority complaining to Apple to have some gain from Apple. And Apple dealt with it in the best way they knew how.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.