Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Antennagate existed. You are not wrong there. But I think you don't get what Antennagate really was. Just a vocal minority complaining to Apple to have some gain from Apple. And Apple dealt with it in the best way they knew how.

A vocal minority? Thats an understanement. And I never complained about it to gain something from Apple. I never even went to pick up a free bumper case (since the nearest Apple Store is forever away). I complained about it because I could never get a signal whilst holding my iPhone. As did everybody else with the problem.
Lets look at the facts here.

- Apple acknowleged it as a problem and even made a formal apology (even though they attempted to spin it as an industry wide problem in the long run).
- PC World removed the iPhone 4 from their 'top 10 cell phones' list when the issue came to light.
- Consumer Reports rejected Apple's initial explaination and descovered that covering certain places on the antenna with tape solved the problem.
- Apple offered free bumper cases to solve the problem.
- People sucessfully sued Apple for it.
- They had obviously accepted it as a problem since the iPhone 4S had a tweaked antenna system that didn't have the signal dropout problem.

I like Apple products, but the iPhone 4 for me certainly had massive signal issues. People in areas of better/more reliable coverage may have been able to use it unoticed, but certainly for me and with the events I covered above, it existed more than just some 'vocal minority'.

Last edited:

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
A vocal minority? Thats an understanement. And I never complained about it to gain something from Apple. I never even went to pick up a free bumper case (since the nearest Apple Store is forever away). I complained about it because I could never get a signal whilst holding my iPhone. As did everybody else with the problem.
Lets look at the facts here.

- Apple acknowleged it as a problem and even made a formal apology (even though they attempted to spin it as an industry wide problem in the long run).
- PC World removed the iPhone 4 from their 'top 10 cell phones' list when the issue came to light.
- Consumer Reports rejected Apple's initial explaination and descovered that covering certain places on the antenna with tape solved the problem.
- Apple offered free bumper cases to solve the problem.
- People sucessfully sued Apple for it.
- They had obviously accepted it as a problem since the iPhone 4S had a tweaked antenna system that didn't have the signal dropout problem.

I like Apple products, but the iPhone 4 for me certainly had massive signal issues. People in areas of better/more reliable coverage may have been able to use it unoticed, but certainly for me and with the events I covered above, it existed more than just some 'vocal minority'.

There was a problem in the industry. Apple was right. Nothing Apple caused. PC world is not Pro Apple and are glad to remove Apple products when any excuse comes up. The bumper cases were to keep the vocal minority quiet. The law allowed people to sue Apple for it, doesn't make it correct. And does not say there was a problem. Saying the 4S is improved therefore the 4 had a problem is just wrong too. All iPhones are improved models on the previous generations. Nothing saying the 4 had major issues caused by Apple.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
There was a problem in the industry. Apple was right. Nothing Apple caused.
Thats strange. I never heard any fuss kicked up over any other phones and major signal problems. Nor have any of the other phones I've owned had such issues.

PC world is not Pro Apple and are glad to remove Apple products when any excuse comes up.
Nonsense. Read most PC World articles and they often big up Apple's products. I think even Steve Jobs mentioned it in a keynote one year.

The bumper cases were to keep the vocal minority quiet.
You keep saying that but since when has Apple ever given in to a vocal minority? (Spoiler: Never, hence why the iPad never got USB support or why OS X's OpenGL drivers were never updated until Mavericks or why Bluray has never made it to any Mac model.)

The law allowed people to sue Apple for it, doesn't make it correct. And does not say there was a problem.
So are you saying that we should be questioning all lawsuits including them that Apple have made themselves? Are you saying that Apple may not be correct in suing Samsung? So based on your first post in this thread, are you suggesting that the courts were not 'just and fair' that day that Apple were successfully sued due to antennagate?

Saying the 4S is improved therefore the 4 had a problem is just wrong too. All iPhones are improved models on the previous generations.
The 4S was a simple spec bump with a couple of software features thrown in as most S models are. If the antenna system had worked correctly on the 4, I'm willing to bet a large amount of money that they would have made no changes to it.

Not to mention, the issue was ranked one of the top tech fails of 2010 along with Ping. Claiming antennagate was a non-issue is simply being deliberately blind. It existed. At least it did on my iPhone 4.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Claiming antennagate was a non-issue is simply being deliberately blind. It existed. At least it did on my iPhone 4.
It was a non issue back then and still is a non issue. I know many iP4 users who had no issue with this. Small sample size I know. The difference is not giving in to the vocal minority here would have been a PR disaster. With most other issues Apple can just give their usual talk and be done with this. But this time the vocal minority would not take that for an answer. So Apple had to up the ante. And looking back at it now it was probably the right thing to have done.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
It was a non issue back then and still is a non issue. I know many iP4 users who had no issue with this. Small sample size I know. The difference is not giving in to the vocal minority here would have been a PR disaster. With most other issues Apple can just give their usual talk and be done with this. But this time the vocal minority would not take that for an answer. So Apple had to up the ante. And looking back at it now it was probably the right thing to have done.

You're doing an amazing job of ignoring the facts and convincing yourself it wasn't an issue. Sure, it didn't really hinder the iPhone 4 sales since it was so ahead of its time compared to the competition's smartphones, issues may have only occurred in places of weaker signal and it was easily solved with a case. But-

...actually, I'm not going to waste my keystrokes. I think my previous posts paint out perfectly how it was an issue and it existed. You have done nothing but pretty much say 'no it wasn't an issue and everyone you mentioned who said it was is wrong.' It appears you have clearly made up your mind despite the evidence. So whatever.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
You're doing an amazing job of ignoring the facts and convincing yourself it wasn't an issue. Sure, it didn't really hinder the iPhone 4 sales since it was so ahead of its time compared to the competition's smartphones, issues may have only occurred in places of weaker signal and it was easily solved with a case. But-

...actually, I'm not going to waste my keystrokes. I think my previous posts paint out perfectly how it was an issue and it existed. You have done nothing but pretty much say 'no it wasn't an issue and everyone you mentioned who said it was is wrong.' It appears you have clearly made up your mind despite the evidence. So whatever.

We agree to disagree. We both know the facts. It wasn't an issue. Apple has screwed up many times, the iP4 was not one of them. Well we agree to disagree here and best leave it at that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.