Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
so let me get this straight...the iPad 3 I paid $499 in March 2012 is NO LONGER AVAILABLE AT ALL...and instead of offering it for $399, Apple magically only offers the iPad 2 (well over 1.5 years old) for $399.

I was going to get my mom a $399 iPad but not the crusty old 2.0!!!!!

Then be a good son and spend 100 dollars more for a iPad 4. You wouldn't want her to have problems playing infinity blade dungeons next year, would you?:D

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
This still lets me exchange it an unlimited number of times, and avoid having to pay a $49 exchange fee as it is not a problem due to ADH.

There's nothing in what you quoted that says you get free upgrades under AppleCare+, much less unlimited ones.

Noisemaker

Mar 13, 2009
Wow, you sound like a religious zealot. Only your religion is Apple. Never mind.

Really? Because I'd be saying the same thing to a car owner bitching about 2013 models coming out. Or someone complaining about last year's fashion now being out of date.

It has nothing to do with brand, just the sheer idiocy of people with their blind consumerism. It's sickening.

All these people are up in arms because a new product came out. Why not be up in arms about something that actually matters?

monkeybongo

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2007
Canada
I own 1G iPad and 3rd Gen iPad and feels like each of my balls were kicked individually in the past months.

First, my 1G iPad doesn't get the iOS 6.0 update after only 2.5 years of support because they only put 256MB of RAM. Now, because the 3rd Gen was way underpowered because of the retina screen, they release another one 6 months later. What the heck? The impression they provide is that there is something wrong with the 3rd gen that Apple needed to put out a new iPad ... it really feels like they admit to putting out a subpar product or a product with compromises and just the integrity with putting a product out with the intention to axe it. A big contrast is the iPhone 3GS which was sold for a long time and is still supported by IOS 6.0.

Honestly, I know it sounds silly but part of why I really liked Apple is that they didn't follow the quick product cycles. Products were designed and planned enough that when you purchased it, you knew it was going to meet your needs and that Apple didn't hold back with putting out the best product they could. It wasn't like the Dells and HPs that were releasing new laptops every season with subpar performance and partly why I don't prefer Android handsets because a new model comes out every couple of months and the old ones aren't supported with new software versions.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
Funny you accuse me of that. I wrote that post from my iPad 3, which is only a few months old. And here's the kicker - I paid for the top of the line model as well. The difference? I'm not some whining **** who somehow believes that a new product makes mine any less shiny.

As for it being complicated further, there will be lines on launch day just like every other Apple product launch. You're a fool to doubt that.

The iPad 1 was a totally usable device. I used mine for two years, then gave it to my mom who used it for another year after. It did its job very well. As have my iPad 2's, current iPad 3, and I know the iPad 4 I'll get will do the same. As a developer, I make my living by designing apps to work on them all.

At the end of the day, I see progress as a good thing, and have a reason to get the latest toys. November 2 will be a fun day for me with two new iPads to set up. But the previous gens that I use for testing? They still totally work. They're still just as usable as they were when I bought them on their respective launches.
As someone who designs on every device, I see how little really differentiates them. Hence why I see people like you and all the others in this thread who are bitching up a storm as pathetic. You have this mentality of "It's **** unless it's the latest model." It's idiotic, and blind consumerism. There are people here who are looking at their iPad 3 that's a few months old as if it's worthless and the object of scorn. Where a few hours ago they were perfectly happy with them. That's beyond stupid.

The lifespan isn't shortened at all. You have the iPad 2 and iPad mini both running A5 chips. The mini is brand new, and has lower specs than the iPad 3, so there's no "shortened" lifespan here. If anything, it's been significantly lengthened, as more developers will add options for better performance to cater to the iPad mini.

Again. These complaints equate to being from children throwing tantrums over someone else's toy being shinier. It's pathetic.

..and you obviously have an income in which throwing $500-$900 is no problem for you. Great. That is not the case for all of us.

BTW, the iPad 1 hasn't even been out for 3 years.

I understand that Apple pretty much needed to do this but I think it would be pretty understandable that people would be upset about such a quick update, especially the processor that is 3x faster if not more.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
So basically, all of us who bought a "new iPad" (especially those of us who skipped the 2 and waited for the 3) are basically chumps in their eyes. A can not believe that Apple would abuse it's customers like this!

Yeah, how dare they release a new model?!?!?! The horror! Oh, the humanity! :rolleyes: It's posts like this that make me miss the downvote button....

--Eric

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
There's nothing in what you quoted that says you get free upgrades under AppleCare+, much less unlimited ones.

Sure it does:
New Model
(b) exchange the Covered iPad with a replacement product that is new or
equivalent to new in performance and reliability, and is at least (MEANING CAN FUNCTION BETTER, newer product) functionally equivalent to the original
product. If Apple exchanges the Covered iPad, the original product becomes Apple’s property and the
replacement product is your property, with coverage for the remaining period of the Plan.

ADH costs $49, limit of (2) damage claims because YOU DROPPPED / BROKE IT!
If during the Plan Term you submit a valid claim notifying Apple that the Covered iPad has failed due to
accidental damage from handling (“ADH”) (YOU DROPPED/BROKE IT), Apple will subject to the service fee described below either (i)
repair the defect using new or refurbished parts that are equivalent to new in performance and
reliability, or (ii) exchange the Covered iPad with a replacement product that is new or equivalent to new
in performance and reliability, and is at least functionally equivalent to the original product (both
individually known as a “Service Event”). ADH coverage will expire and all of Apple’s obligations to
you under this section 3.2 will be fulfilled in its entirety before the end of the Plan Term when
Apple, as a result of ADH claims, has provided to you two (2) Service Events (MEANING IF YOU DID NOT DROP/BREAK IT AT LEAST TWICE, YOU CAN REPLACE IT AGAIN UNTIL YOU ARE HAPPY, AT NO ADDITIONAL COST).

I can swap out as many times as necessary, until they get tired of handing me iPad 3rd gens (defective because it gets hot if left at full brightness, sluggish in full Retna Games, etc). Defects that have been fixed with the iPad 4th gens; otherwise, why still sell 2nd Gen and drop the 3rd Gen if the 3rd Gen is not defective?

Last edited:

saltfish

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Maybe Apple will create an UPDATE-PROGRAM for those uf us, who bought the 3rd Gen iPad?!

Possible?

I sure hope so, i am willing to pay up to $100 to get a comparable device. If not, this sure has tainted my devotion to their brand, i'll be second guessing before i even purchase another one of their products.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
Really? Because I'd be saying the same thing to a car owner bitching about 2013 models coming out.

I have a feeling you'd be pretty perturbed if the auto company decided to release the vastly-upgraded-for-the-same-price 2014 Whoozitmobile in October of 2012, just one day after you bought the "new" 2013 model.

pugmohone

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
I sure hope so, i am willing to pay up to $100 to get a comparable device. If not, this sure has tainted my devotion to their brand, i'll be second guessing before i even purchase another one of their products.

Whole-heartily agree.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
I can swap out as many times as necessary, until they get tired of handing me iPad 3rd gens (defective because it gets hot if left at full brightness, sluggish in full Retna Games, etc). Defects that have been fixed with the iPad 4th gens.

Dream on!

Photogdave

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2011
Yes I do. And it does everything I need as quickly as I need it to. Also, I'm not upgrading to the iPhone 5 to avoid lightning as long as I can, so I'm glad I have a 3rd gen iPad that matches.

This has to be the dumbest statement Ive ever heard.
You act like the new connector is HIV positive.
Its actually a better cable, faster, easier to use.
Whats the problem. It comes with a new charger, so again, whats the problem?
You can get an adapter if youre worried about current products you own that dock your 30pin phone.

I dont care if you avoid Apple from here on out because of the connector, it just blows me away when i hear these statements SMH.:rolleyes:

M33-1

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2010
I'm looking forward to buying an ipad3 on Craigslist soon for real cheap! At half the computing power as the ipad 4, prices should plummet!

henjin

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2007
So is it safe to assume there'll be no newer iPad next spring?? :confused:

Maybe, so having just avoided being burned by getting a refund for my iPad3 this last Sunday...I'm not going to wait until March and then maybe by then I'll choose to buy an upgrade to my Nexus 7" and a newer model Windows Surface RT.

Clearly this shows despite pundits blasting W8 that Apple was worried by MS Surface RT.

I think the full sized iPad5 will have a micro-SD slot and a USB3 slot somehow. I bet there might be an iPad 5 Pro that offers a Stylus Wacom pressure sensitive screen too.

Though Apple will sell tens of millions of iPad Minis and iPad4s they will have to come up with something far better in 2013.

I'd wait: there has to be a pressure sensitive Wacom style iPad 5 or later iPad6 Pro at the very least.

For some reason having just escaped holding old junk which what I found the iPad3 to be, overheating, dreary, heavy and slow..

I was not amused nor happy today with Apple even though I escaped with a refund. Despite all the boasting I felt like these oligarchs were laughing all the way to the bank at our expense. Apple owes iPad 3 owners of 90 days a hefty iTunes gift card.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Actually, now with the iPad's shift to a October release, I wouldn't be surprised if the iPhone 5 had a shorter lifespan with the iPhone 5S/6 release in the spring or early summer.

Maybe we should take that spring 2013 iPhone release rumor more seriously now?!? Unpredictability seems to be the new trend at Apple right now and that, along with high price points is driving Apple stock down at the moment.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
I mean, who seriously updates every time a new model comes out, simply because it's new?:rolleyes:
It seems as though most on this forum do that very thing - hence all the anger that they feel compelled to shell out for the new model even though the 3 is still perfectly functional. :(

pugmohone

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2012
Mayeb this is easier to understand....

For the judgemental folks out there who think we are whining because we no longer have the newest toy, here is a better analogy of what we are thinking:

Imagine a sandwich that comes with meat, cheese, lettuce, and bread costs $5
You buy the sandwich and are happy until you find out that the next day that same sandwich now comes with twice the meat and twice the bread and a bag of chips and still costs $5.

There is no way you would not be pissed.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Well, I'm still using a 1st gen iPad so, this one has me excited. Hopefully I get enough Christmas money to finally upgrade! Only thing that makes me nervous is, should I get one at Christmas or wait until the Spring in cases they upgrade the iPad again. I was hopping they were going to change the design to something more like the iPad mini.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I can swap out as many times as necessary, until they get tired of handing me iPad 3rd gens (defective because it gets hot if left at full brightness, sluggish in full Retna Games, etc). Defects that have been fixed with the iPad 4th gens.

Oh okay, I see what you're saying; you're talking warranty claims instead of breakage. The only problem is Apple runs tests on all devices submitted for warranty claims. If you tell them, say, the battery's not up to snuff, they plug it into a Mac and run a diagnostic. If that diagnostic says the battery's fine, you get your same ipad back. (Believe me, I've tried this personally in the past.) if you're "lucky", they may offer you a replacement, but only at a 50% discount of a brand new one.

In short, they're not stupid. That legalese is ironclad.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
Model A1459*
LTE (Bands 4 and 17)

Model A1460*
LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 13, 25)

So LTE will be largely limited to the US, while many (most?) Europeans still won't get LTE? :( (Where I live, in Switzerland as well as neighboring countries Germany, France and Italy, carrier seem to focus on bands 7 and 20)

On the one hand, I'm a bit miffed at that... on the other hand, I can now enjoy peace of mind in keeping my 3rd gen iPad all the while waiting for a true European LTE model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.