Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I am not even going to damage/destroy my iPad (3rd) Gen. It is still in pristene shape. This still lets me exchange it an unlimited number of times, and avoid having to pay a $49 exchange fee as it is not a problem due to ADH.

I don't know how you can initiate a "service event" when your iPad is pristine and undamaged. You can't make a claim on a perfectly working iPad.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Cheers mate. I might have called you a whinger, but it's a very rare MR commenter who will come back with a gentle answer after a good ol' verbal tussle. May your 3rd gen iPad give you years of enjoyment yet!

I couldn't disagree with anything said, and appreciated that someone was at least (finally) commenting to me based on the points I had made, rather than on the continually brought up "not the newest" angle, which is not my issue at all.

I am not selling or replacing my third gen. End of the day it STILL has a Retina Display. :D

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Although I understand Apple's motives for releasing this updated Ipad, it still doesn't make me feel better that I bought my Ipad 3 in late September. I'm kicking myself for not being patient when I had a hunch something like this was going to happen. :(

If you don't want to get overtaken by a processor spec bump (and that is all this is), why didn't you buy in March when the iPad 3 came out? You would have had 8 months with it by the time the LTE iPad 4 comes out. Not that big a deal. And the screen which is the most important thing on an ipad didn't change. You won't notice extra processor speed on 90% or more of the stuff you do on an IPad.

But the lesson is that if it is important to you to have the latest and greatest you must buy near a launch date not six moths later.

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
Looking on the bright side, i'm after a new case for my ipad3 so the manufacturer i want it from will be selling them cheap soon given that big ugly hole for the 30pin connector won't wash for the 4th gen..

I think this particular upgrade caught a lot of people on the hop, but i'll be keeping this for a couple of years. Thankfully i needed the retina screen for showing off portfolio photos, not gaming, so the underpowered chip doesn't concern me as much.

Sodner

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
What a bunch of cry babies. There really is no making you spoiled people happy. Complain the refreshes are to far apart then complain when they do refresh.

Deal with it.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
ipad for $...where?

OK, so where's the best place to unload my 64gb black ipad 3 for the most $ right now? I'm ready to continue my early-adopter status :)
Amazon?
which is best?

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Looking on the bright side, i'm after a new case for my ipad3 so the manufacturer i want it from will be selling them cheap soon given that big ugly hole for the 30pin connector won't wash for the 4th gen..

I think this particular upgrade caught a lot of people on the hop, but i'll be keeping this for a couple of years. Thankfully i needed the retina screen for showing off portfolio photos, not gaming, so the underpowered chip doesn't concern me as much.

Great point on the case. I bet there are a bunch of case manufacturers who are kind of bummed right now.

VMMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2009
I could not care less that my iPad "3" is not the latest. I'm not an adolescent. I have a life outside of acquiring material possessions.

As a fan of Apple, I am glad they didn't hold back on making their market leading iPad the fastest on the market. It wouldn't seem reasonable not using Apple's home grown CPU as soon as possible in their crucial iPad line.

ufwa

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2011
Surprised Apple didn't update to the nano sim too. Still using microsim.

As for the whole quick cycle.

I'm more concerned with future os updates.

In the past its been 2 generations or ~2 years and support essentially ends.

Will it still be ~2 years or now be 2 hardware generations.

Things get its even more interesting with the Ipad 2 and Ipad mini. They share the same specs except the cameras.

Will the iPad 2 see iOS7? What about the iPad3 and iOS8?

Support for a device has been one of the biggest advantage Apple has over Android.

batsabode

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2009
Gulfport, Fl
Pissed

Also pissed that my ipad is totally gone, no upgrade program....6 months erghh, makes me feel sick, would have felt ok if it was a year.

Xultar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2010
Since Apple was so quick to remove the New iPad from their site I don't think they will be storing any for replacements.

The goal is to get the lightning connector out there...they will not be manufacturing any more 30 pin.

Once they've gone through the lot, I do believe they will be forced to hand out the ones with the new connector. It may take a while but I've got time.

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
Apple's Lemon Policy
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2034490?start=0&tstart=0

Swap out a prior gen model 3 times, and you get a newer gen model.
That thread does *not* say that. I did find a few threads that said Apple may replace a unit after three failed repairs, but with the same model. Quit making stuff up.

Perhaps one or two very lucky individuals somewhere have been able to replace an iPhone 4 with an iPhone 5 or an iPad 2 with and iPad 3, but that's certainly not the rule.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
That thread does *not* say that. I did find a few threads that said Apple may replace a unit after three failed repairs, but with the same model.

Perhaps one or two very lucky individuals somewhere were able to replace an iPhone 4 with an iPhone 5 or an iPad 2 with and iPad 3, but that's not the rule. Quit making stuff up.

Some people think they can pull a fast one with Apple. I think most of them will be disappointed when they get their iPad 3 refurb.

zinc321

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2012
Disgusting -- Really Disgusting Approch

I am literally very shocked with such a pathetic strategy of Apple of lunching 4th Generation IPad in such a short time period :eek::eek:

After waiting so long for the New iPad (3rd Generation), i bought this just 3.5 months ago. and now its OUTDATED AND APPLE NO MORE SELLING IT ON THEIR ONLINE STORES ?????? (rather selling iPad 2)....unbelievable :(

Indeed Apple is supposed to lunch the new products / updated versions...but in my opinion its really unfair with those people who bought just few months ago....And specially annoying for the people like me who love to upgrade new products in a reasonable time period and now i am feeling that i have wasted my money.....NO WAY to upgrade (buy new) now until Its really make sense for me

For sure It will create disloyalty......as it does for me.

Extremely Mad :mad::mad: !!!

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
As said, outside looking in. You didn't buy an iPad 3, your opinion is irrelevant because it didn't affect you.

I would have bought one if I could have, and a not-so-new new iPad is better than no iPad at all. Wouldn't you agree?

I can promise you this—you will not find me complaining about Apple reducing the upgrade cycle time of any of its products (so long as they maintain reasonable backwards compatibility.) If it were technically possible for Apple's products to evolve a little each day, instead of bigger leaps every 12 months or so, that would be fine by me.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
I don't know how you can initiate a "service event" when your iPad is pristine and undamaged. You can't make a claim on a perfectly working iPad.

People do it all the time at launch... Tint, or bad pixels, random reboots, etc.

Apple customers are renowned for warranty returns on the trivialist of details. So if one person gets upgraded, everyone will clamour for an upgrade.

It's also not a service event, as there was no accidental handling damage. It has a manufacturing defect, gets hot, tint is off, bad pixel, etc. that you pick at until they satisfy the Apple Customer, in which case I would not be satisfied until I received the latest model that fixes the issues with this model (and has the perfect screen). The whole reason I waited until now to have it replaced. Just because I think it is pristine, does not mean I have to tell them I think it is pristine. For an iPad 3, it is but not compared to a 4 that has the hardware design bugs fixed (graphics memory issues).

I plan to be blunt, I waited till the 4 was available to replace my new iPad. I purchased AppleCare+ for it and to my knowledge the design defects in the 3rd generation model have been fixed in this newest release. If they want me to list them all, I will do so. I am sure we will get a tear down of the 4 soon enough to learn what has changed, memory improvements per core, etc. Just because you do not want to be picky, does not mean I cannot be picky. Apple has enough of my cash, MacBook pro, multiple OS update purchases, 2 iPad 1's, 2 iPad 2's, 2 iPad 3's, ATV 2nd gen. I am confident I will get my AC+ replacement.

Last edited:

jrbdmb

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
USA
People do it all the time at launch... Tint, or bad pixels, random reboots, etc.

Apple customers are renowned for warranty returns on the trivialist of details. So if one person gets upgraded, everyone will clamour for an upgrade.

It's also not a service event, as there was no accidental handling damage. It has a manufacturing defect, gets hot, tint is off, bad pixel, etc. that you pick at until they satisfy the Apple Customer, in which case I would not be satisfied until I received the latest model that fixes the issues with this model (and has the perfect screen). The whole reason I waited until now to have it replaced.

Please point me to another thread on MR where multiple users have been able to use AppleCare to upgrade to a newer model of their device.

If you are correct, I feel stupid for having paid for a iPhone 3G, 4, and 5 when I could have just bought the 3G and upgraded for free all this time. "Dear Genius, this iPhone 3G 16 GB is defective because it won't hold all of my music. The only device that will is the iPhone 5 64GB - and I demand a free upgrade now!"

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
HAhah, I ****ing love this comic - it's so true!!

On a side note, pretty pissed my iPad is only 7 months old and out of date.

Screw you Apple!

Sorry for singling you out, because you're certainly not the only one who has made this moronic statement. But what, exactly happened today that made your wonderful, shiny, fantastic iPad 3rd Gen out of date? Are there apps it no longer loads? Is there an OS it won't run? Perhaps the screen got duller when Schiller walked out on stage? Is the multi-touch capability expired? Did the storage capacity suddenly cut in half? Or maybe it got a pound or so heavier? I know what it is. The retina display went back to SD. That's got to be it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.