Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I honestly do not understand people being unhappy about the iPhone 5. It has one of the most innovative and clear cameras on any phone. The only phone that excites me camera wise is the Lumia 920. And they both seem to be bloody close. (Though I want to see the low light performance of the iPhone 5 first) It has the A15 core. This is a HUGE update. The first of the next generation processor architecture is inside the iPhone.

It's screen is the first embedded touch control screen on the market.

It's thinner, has a larger screen, yet has the same amount of battery time, if not more, than the previous gen iPhones.

So what were people waiting for as they are not happy about it?

128GB storage? octa-core cpu? 5 day battery life? 6 inch display? what exactly?

It astounds me the amount of people that visit these forums to troll or voice their disappointment in Apple’s releases, or simply state their preference for another brand. Good for you. Now off you go to your Android forums.

I’m an iPhone user – I have been since they arrived on our shores and I have never once in my life visited an Android forum to tote my opinion about how I prefer iOS for this reason or that.

Then we have the complainers who whine that they were expecting something more surprising. What did you want in the iPhone 5? A coffee machine? A laser pointing device? A direwolf? I think it’s a very nice upgrade.

Apple choose not to reinvent the wheel because they made a pretty damned good wheel to begin with. This phone is lighter, stronger, thinner, with a larger screen, two better cameras and will have all the added functionality of iOS6 to boot.

I figure there are two types of people in the world - those who have an iPhone, and those who are too proud to admit they want one.

I’ll be getting one, and I’ll be happy.

Very well put, both posts! Totally agree! For some people complaining is 'Therapy'.

Last edited:

Namjins

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2011
USA
That sums it up best for the ' I am disappointed with the iphone 5' groupies who can't articulate their grievances and shortcomings about the phone because there are none.:rolleyes:

Did you bother to read the rest of my post?

Last edited:

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
I think it's close to the point when iPhone and iOS start to get less and less impressive over the year. Grid of icons is getting old. It's like even Apple start to get confused of what to add within the new gen of iOS.

And now the screen is just taller, not wider bring essentially zero added value and experience.
LTE? Big deal! As long as there is this throttling scheme. It doesn't mean nothin'

Then there is this Lightning dock (cheesy yet cocky name for a USB 2.0 connector) which bring nothing new but less space and pins, which also screw with the past compatibility unless you get another adapter for $29 which not even works with all accessories?

Well I'm sorry if some of us is not too happy :rolleyes:

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I think it's close to the point when iPhone and iOS start to get less and less impressive over the year. Grid of icons is getting old. It's like even Apple start to get confused of what to add within the new gen of iOS.

And now the screen is just taller, not wider bring essentially zero added value and experience.
LTE? Big deal! As long as there is this throttling scheme. It doesn't mean nothin'

Then there is this Lightning dock (cheesy yet cocky name for a USB 2.0 connector) which bring nothing new but less space and pins, which also screw with the past compatibility unless you get another adapter for $29 which not even works with all accessories?

Well I'm sorry if some of us is not too happy :rolleyes:

Indeed. Where did Apple's innovation go?

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
A little disappointed Apple didn't make the screen wider. This "perfect width" explanation is just PR garbage. The added value is close to zero.

Anyways .. for me this is still the best phone "available" to date. I did like the S2 a lot, not a big fan of the S3, but I will go with the iPhone 5 for my next phone.
No matter what people whine about .. this is a great phone, maybe not as oustanding as it used to be .. but still a great phone.

T.

----------

Indeed. Where did Apple's innovation go?

Technically this phone is truly innovative. Unibody, thinner, faster CPU, good battery, great camera, great build quality .. what is lacking is mostly on the software end (besides the odd screen choice maybe) .. iOS is showing its age, Apple should not have spend so many ressources on rebuild a maps application that worked perfectly fine for the pure reason of cutting out Google.

T.

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
I actually like it.

but what I really want to know is when iOS6 will be ready for jailbreaking =)

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
3.5" 2/3 to 4" 16/9 is barely an increase, I have a 4" 16/9 now and I find it too small. 4.3 or even 4.7/4.8 is going to be my next phone.

Apple buys of the shelve its not some spectacular new tech.
Its screen is simular as that in the htc one x : super lcd 2 Wich puts it at the same levels of the latest Super Amoled screens (rgb ones)

If it would have been any better apple would have singled it out, anyway I dont see it beating the pureview 808

BS, thinner means they HAVE to advance to remain at the same level of before.
And no I dont sit around admiring how thin my phone is. Weight matters thinness doesnt if its 9 8 or 7 mm thin I(and no doubt most users) dont care

Lets see if its scratch resistant he?

Thats it its just the same, so the iphone isnt better in that area.

A lot longer battery (droid razor max style), bigger screen, NFC , wireless charging,better camera,...

But no once more this no doubt had tio be postponed because they wanted a mm thinner.

Fine, if you want want an iPhone, don't buy it. No-one is forcing you.

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Technically this phone is truly innovative. Unibody, thinner, faster CPU, good battery, great camera, great build quality .. what is lacking is mostly on the software end (besides the odd screen choice maybe) .. iOS is showing its age, Apple should not have spend so many ressources on rebuild a maps application that worked perfectly fine for the pure reason of cutting out Google.

T.

Personal opinion, but I wouldn't say putting in a faster CPU (quad core anyone?) a better battery (just) great camera (but still behind many rivals) innovation.

The unibody design, however...

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Dual core A15! Surprised MR hasn't picked up on this....or maybe I missed it. But I think people are missing the fact that this iPhone is probably the biggest upgrade ever.

"The biggest thing to happen to iPhone since iPhone" is pretty accurate!

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Same discussion every time Apple releases new hardware.
"Meh, underwhelming, the Flingflong WTF3000 Galacticon XIII has MOAR megapixels and BIGGAR screen and MOAR BIGGAR FASTUR [insert random spec here]".

The main selling point for me is the iOS/OS X ecosystem with the same set of apps on the devices, familiar and reasonably uniform UI, iCloud sync, App Store & iTunes etc. Selling point #2 is the hardware design -- beautiful, timeless, unobtrusive, simple, metal and glass, always with attention to detail, down to seemingly inconsequential details like the feel and flexibility of the damn power cable, or how they bother to build the power supply into small products like the Mac Mini or Time Capsule instead of going the usual route and cramming some bulky external supply down your throat.

I find that when I buy something Apple I never feel compelled to replace it. It becomes a marriage rather than a fling. Back in my PC days I was a Logitech sucker; every time they released a new keyboard or mouse with new bells & whistles I had to have it. Then I went Mac and got the alu keyboard, bare-bones simple with no bells & whistles at all... it just is. Between 1996 and 2008 I probably went through 15 cellphones... since 2008 I've had two, an iPhone 3G and my current 4, and I'll wait for the "5S" before I get a new one. When it arrives I fully expect it to lag behind Flingflong OMG9000 Galactique XIV on features, and I will care this much: ...

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
+1

Even if you put four wheels on an iphone with a jet engine attached to it, you will still find a few whiners on these forums who will complain that it is underpowered. :rolleyes:

I dont see how 4 wheels and a jet engine would make the iphone a better phone though :p

not all "innovation" is good :p;)

RebbYek

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
of course

Would a like an unbreakable 1/8th of an inch thick phone with a year battery life , with a projector to display wide screen movies. It would be great if Siri passively listened to my conversations and she could become an intuitive friend who would solve my life problems. Also if my phone could make stock picks for me so I could become a billionaire, that would be awesome.

But this one looks like it will work faster than the one than I have now, plus my mute switch is broken.

Iphone 5 here I come.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
But I think that's the point some people are trying to make. They were hoping for a new iPhone and got an upgrade

People expecting/hoping for Apple to change the best selling smartphone completely are delusional.

If you want a different phone, then buy a different phone. I don't understand why this confuses people. Apple will continue to make IPHONES and other manufacturers will continue to make Androids and WP8 Phones....

You want options, that's why there are other makers and OS developers out there.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Is the screen Gorilla glass or the same that cracks easily as the 4S?

Here's a tip:

Don't drop your iPhone ;)

I've had every incarnation since the 3G and have had mine break once. Most smartphones are gonna crack if you drop them the right way. I've dropped my 4S a few times (my wife seems to throw her 4 around) and neither of them have broken.

I think there are certain weak spots on most phones where if you happen to drop it on that spot, you're in for an awful surprise (I think on the iPhone its the corners).

Tadros

macrumors 6502
Jan 29, 2007
New Jersey
This thread is really long, so this may have been answered already, but will the pre-ordering be like it was last year and go up at midnight (haha) EST? Or is there a set time to pre-order? I have seen nothing but "Pre-order Friday" with no times.

tatonka

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2009
Personal opinion, but I wouldn't say putting in a faster CPU (quad core anyone?) a better battery (just) great camera (but still behind many rivals) innovation.

The unibody design, however...

Innovation doesn't require something to be the best or most performant. It merely requires it to be new, not done before.

You have equal or better battery life with a thinner and lighter device, that is pretty good from a technical perspective. The camera is nothing outstanding spec wise. The images it produces however are better then anything I seen from a phone camera to this date, which is the result of good engineering and taking the time to make it right, rather than shove a new pixel monster out the door every other week. The screen is innovative. While not being the biggest/best spec wise .. it is great to look at (from what I read), responsive and again a lot thinner than anything else before it.

I agree most of the features by itself are not that spectacular, but put together they make a fantastic piece of technology. But the big iPhone 4 wow effect is missing this time around. Apple didn't push past the competition with this phone anymore. But I think that missing wow effect is due to the missing novelty on the software side .. not the missing innovation on the technical/hardware side ..

T.

Loudest

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2009
It astounds me the amount of people that visit these forums to troll or voice their disappointment in Apple’s releases, or simply state their preference for another brand. Good for you. Now off you go to your Android forums.

I’m an iPhone user – I have been since they arrived on our shores and I have never once in my life visited an Android forum to tote my opinion about how I prefer iOS for this reason or that.

Then we have the complainers who whine that they were expecting something more surprising. What did you want in the iPhone 5? A coffee machine? A laser pointing device? A direwolf? I think it’s a very nice upgrade.

Apple choose not to reinvent the wheel because they made a pretty damned good wheel to begin with. This phone is lighter, stronger, thinner, with a larger screen, two better cameras and will have all the added functionality of iOS6 to boot.

I figure there are two types of people in the world - those who have an iPhone, and those who are too proud to admit they want one.

I’ll be getting one, and I’ll be happy.

Ah, the black and white world of a fanboy. In the real world the same person can use both the Mac AND PC, iOS and Android. Most of the 'complainers' want to give Apple their money. And last I checked, this was a discussion forum where people could debate the pros and cons of Apple products... not just worship the cult of Apple. Want a bigger screen, an iPod Touch less than $299? Gasp... be gone you heretic! :\

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Presale time?

Does anyone know what time on 9/14 the presale will start? Need to set my alarm :D

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.