Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
To me the iPhone reminds me of the Porsche 911, it may not be the fastest or have the latest technology but it just gets more and more refined over the years. Sure i can say that my phone could be a Nissan Gtr sure its bigger and has the latest technology and its amazing but both were built with 2 different goals in mind.

It seems that the iPhone just gets refined(which is not bad) while my Nexus was to showcase what the latest like a 4.65' screen, ice cream sandwhich(now jelly bean) android os, nfc etc..

Manzzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Just thought of something. I remember somewhere reading that Samsung was gonna sue Apple if it included NFC in the iPhone 5 after they lost the huge case and owes Apple over a billion bucks. Think this is just one of the few reasons they chose to not add it now?

I don't use Android, but what do they have to use the front facing camera since they don't have Facetime?

Is there a way to make the android photo gallery look like Apple's. I've played with the photo gallery on an android and it's horrible.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
This will be my first preorder, not finding a time the preorder starts, is it midnight Pacific time? or is it midnight you local time, or is it something like 9am?

would love an answer, I skimmed all the forms hadn't seen the answer.

thank you

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
Just thought of something. I remember somewhere reading that Samsung was gonna sue Apple if it included NFC in the iPhone 5 after they lost the huge case and owes Apple over a billion bucks. Think this is just one of the few reasons they chose to not add it now?

I don't use Android, but what do they have to use the front facing camera since they don't have Facetime?

Since ice cream sandwich there is a feature that you can use the front facing camera to unlock your phone, and it works pretty well. There are also a variety of apps out there that use it for a video chat. I think Samsung was going to sue if the iPhone 5 has Lte since Samsung holds some Lte patents. Just patent bs

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo

Is there a way to make the android photo gallery look like Apple's. I've played with the photo gallery on an android and it's horrible.

skype video chat, facetime isn't the only video chatting software out there, and far from the best at that.

jaijin

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
Manila
Okay, after much ado, I have come to a conclusion.

iPhone, you are the Manny Pacqiao of cellular phones.

You have been judged by the "experts", and it's a split decision. The winner, and new champion of the world...

Well, it simply isn't you.

You actually have to knock everyone out right after Jony introduces you. Or during Bob's turn. Do not wait until Scott starts talking, because by then, you already might be running out of new features. And definitely don't wait for Tim to close, or it's not a win.

BUT, you still got that guaranteed $1B. So no worries.

Now you know.

iKnow iPhone.

rockarollr

Suspended
Apr 3, 2010
USA
Re: guitarman777

So now I'm thinking about the fact that my wife & I still have unlimited data originally offered by AT&T... will I get to keep that when I renew my contract for the subsidized price?

Yes, you will. My wife and I are in the same situation (bought into the old, "unlimited" plan when the iPhone 3G came out) and I already did a little digging on the subject. Another little piece of good news is that we'll also get a data cap bump from 3 GB to 5GB (before throttling kicks in) with the implementation of LTE. :)

Check it out:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/1...tomers-get-5gb-on-lte-before-being-throttled/

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
To me the iPhone reminds me of the Porsche 911, it may not be the fastest or have the latest technology but it just gets more and more refined over the years. Sure i can say that my phone could be a Nissan Gtr sure its bigger and has the latest technology and its amazing but both were built with 2 different goals in mind.

It seems that the iPhone just gets refined(which is not bad) while my Nexus was to showcase what the latest like a 4.65' screen, ice cream sandwhich(now jelly bean) android os, nfc etc..

I would say that's a very fair analogy. The Porsche 911 has changed in, well, at all that much in the last 40 years and it's still amazing if you can get past the US Stereotype of Porsche's being a chick car in the US (which I wouldn't fall in to since I think the 911 is a beast and has nothing in common with a VW Beetle is also labeled as a chick car.) But I don't think the GTR would be as accurate since the look hasn't changed either since it was introduced and it relies very heavy on the synergy between all of it's components to make that sucker go fast. I would still label that as a comparison good iPhone analogy.

I would think that a Ferrari and Lamborghini would be a better example of Android and the rest of the world. Flashy and changing often with power under the hood for the sake of it. It's not bad, just a different stance.

And comparing sales for the 4s and the GSIII isn't quite fair. The GSIII is much newer and running the most up to date specs and the 4s is last years news. It's incredible it's lasted as long as it did!

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
When the iPhone 4 was leaked, I was disgusted. But when it was released, I was amazed.

When the iPhone 5 was leaked, I was disgusted. But when it was released, I was even more disgusted.

Come on Apple, where's the true innovation? Just adding a few more pixels to the display and supporting LTE doesn't make it a killer phone.

Yes, obviously the iPhone 5 is a total piece of crap phone. Please. It makes no sense to reinvent the wheel. What they need to do is start making completely new products!

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Fine, if you want want an iPhone, don't buy it. No-one is forcing you.

Its still a discussion forum, so your comment makes little sense .

----------

I find that when I buy something Apple I never feel compelled to replace it. It becomes a marriage rather than a fling.

Now that I dont get, the ecosystem the iphone all great products, but talking about it in this terms just boggels my mind. How can you say that about consumer product and apublic company aimed at profit?

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
And comparing sales for the 4s and the GSIII isn't quite fair. The GSIII is much newer and running the most up to date specs and the 4s is last years news. It's incredible it's lasted as long as it did!

Why isnt it fair? If apple wanted they should have released it earlier.

As for the comparison with the iphone 5 its a lot more expensive, whole the 4s will probably come down to s3 levels, so the comparison is quite apt.

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Why isnt it fair? If apple wanted they should have released it earlier.

As for the comparison with the iphone 5 its a lot more expensive, whole the 4s will probably come down to s3 levels, so the comparison is quite apt.

It's not fair since it's not a Apples to Apples comparison. We are comparing something at the beginning of it's life cycle to something that's near the end of it's life cycle. Sales of the 4s peaked a while ago and it was in a natural decline. Very few products can sustain a peaked line of sales, especially goods that are not consumed on a regular bases (e.g. food, gas, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the S3. I think it's pretty sleek and wouldn't mind buying or recommending one. I just don't think it's fair to really compare the two since they are so far apart life-cycle wise. The best comparison won't happen until it's long gone and we look at total sold for both series. That's how you are going to truly measure the success numbers wise.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
This sounds arrogant. Everyone should be allowed to show his opinion, rather than get personal attack.

You know what? You are right. I apologize for my first sentence, it was really uncalled for. However, I stand by my second sentence completely. I have been honest. Can you be honest also?

----------

Ugh. ugly back.

Oh! Beautiful back. Your move. :)

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
On serious side, how is :apple: logo and "iPhone" text going to be embedded on the backplate?

Anyone get the information? I like how it's implemented on iPhone 4 and 4S. It's essentially non-destructible unless you also destroy/scratch/crack the backplate, in which case you'd want to replace the backplate instead. So, you essentially can't destroy those marks without damaging the phone.

In the contrary, those imprints on pre iPhone 4 is disgustingly weak. Keep it for a few months and you'll start to notice how the logo and text imprint slowly start to get scratched and damaged.
So how about this iPhone? Will it be anodized into the back?

Last edited:

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
It's not fair since it's not a Apples to Apples comparison. We are comparing something at the beginning of it's life cycle to something that's near the end of it's life cycle. Sales of the 4s peaked a while ago and it was in a natural decline. Very few products can sustain a peaked line of sales, especially goods that are not consumed on a regular bases (e.g. food, gas, etc.).
Doesnt matter consumer wants to buy and most arent going to wait 4+months. So it will pick from iphone 4s galaxy s3 and all the others .

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the S3. I think it's pretty sleek and wouldn't mind buying or recommending one. I just don't think it's fair to really compare the two since they are so far apart life-cycle wise. The best comparison won't happen until it's long gone and we look at total sold for both series. That's how you are going to truly measure the success numbers wise.

And again the price of an s3 is around the price for an s4 , how is it fair to compare phones 15-20% more expensive?

The Robot Cow

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2012
Central California
I would say that's a very fair analogy. The Porsche 911 has changed in, well, at all that much in the last 40 years and it's still amazing if you can get past the US Stereotype of Porsche's being a chick car in the US (which I wouldn't fall in to since I think the 911 is a beast and has nothing in common with a VW Beetle is also labeled as a chick car.) But I don't think the GTR would be as accurate since the look hasn't changed either since it was introduced and it relies very heavy on the synergy between all of it's components to make that sucker go fast. I would still label that as a comparison good iPhone analogy.

I would think that a Ferrari and Lamborghini would be a better example of Android and the rest of the world. Flashy and changing often with power under the hood for the sake of it. It's not bad, just a different stance.

A 911 a chick car? haha no way! Its a true drivers car and one of the best there is.
I agree on the Ferrari and Lambo part, it does seem to be a better fit for android.

This is what i think of smartphone from my point of view as a technology enthusiast; there is no "the best" out there. Android, Ios, Windows, and all the others all have their advantages and disadvantages. Choose what you like the most, ignore what's the "trendy" thing to get. This is why i'm making the ip5 my first ios device, i want to try it out and i love how the device looks in black.

Last edited:

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
Does anyone know the new font Apple is using on their iPhone 5 page and marketing materials?

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yes, you will. My wife and I are in the same situation (bought into the old, "unlimited" plan when the iPhone 3G came out) and I already did a little digging on the subject. Another little piece of good news is that we'll also get a data cap bump from 3 GB to 5GB (before throttling kicks in) with the implementation of LTE. :)

Check it out:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/1...tomers-get-5gb-on-lte-before-being-throttled/

Yeah, I caught that a few minutes after MacRumors posted it. Made me extremely excited! I haven't worried much about the data throttling up to this point, but then again, my wife and I have been on our 3GS models for quite some time. She certainly won't use that much data, especially since she wants to keep her 3GS for now, so we'll see how close I get to that limit with the higher LTE speeds in central Florida.

saturn88

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2011
Apple just doesn't want to admit that they painted themselves into a corner with their App Ecosystem.

Fragmentation is just another word for diversity.
Apple is actually the one who has fragmentation. A stupid pixel-perfect resolution-dependent iOS comes in many fragments: iPd, 2 resolutions of iPad, 3 resolutions of iPhone, Apple TV. That is why Apple is having hard time offering more then one iphone screen size.

Android is on the other hand resolution independent: ICS 4.0 works with most tablets and phones. They even run it on Samsung point and shoot camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.