Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
Apple while your at it you ought to make mail have notifications while it is quit. Why does reminders and I message and safari get this but mail doesn't?

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I have mixed feelings about this. Sure, I would love MR pushing me a story every time they post one, but I can see this easily being abused (not pointing to MRs specifically here, but any site). It's only a matter of time until your most beloved, trusted website starts pushing you advertisements. Whether or not they will be disguised ads ("stories" about new apps) or just blatant spam remains to be seen.

Since the sites are vetted by Apple, most unlikely.

The Jobs Apple, I agree. Cook's Apple? Considering Apple survives on hype, I'm sure they'll love it. Except for Engadget. That's a grudge not likely to go away.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I couldn't care less about actionable notifications in OS X. iOS 7 should've had it. The fact that they didn't put it into a mobile OS -- where users are more likely to want to take action in a hurry -- ahead of a desktop OS makes no sense to me.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
The Jobs Apple, I agree. Cook's Apple? Considering Apple survives on hype, I'm sure they'll love it. Except for Engadget. That's a grudge not likely to go away.

What grudge with Engadget? Are you sure you don't mean Gizmodo?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I couldn't care less about actionable notifications in OS X. iOS 7 should've had it. The fact that they didn't put it into a mobile OS -- where users are more likely to want to take action in a hurry -- ahead of a desktop OS makes no sense to me.

Especially the quick reply feature. Only thing I can think of is they can't get the UI just right (similar reason as to why copy and paste took forever).

Oh well, iOS 8, hopefully...

ThunderSkunk

macrumors 68040
Dec 31, 2007
Milwaukee Area
Now I don't have to go check in to websites to see if they've got anything new & interesting, I can just ignore them til they notify me they have, what it is, and I can decide if it's worth bothering going to check out.

I like this.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.

It is just you. You can disable app with useless (or useless to you) notifications, or like I do I just disable the last 5 entries in notification Center and keep only for app which is important I remember things.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Used selectively, Safari push notification can be very useful.
  • New bill notification
  • Stock trade confirmation, watch list notification
  • Order shipment, package tracking notification
  • Severe weather alert
  • Customer service live chat notification
  • Issue tracking notification
  • Breaking news

Schlaefer

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
What's interesting is that Apple is giving websites a way to be more app-like.

You know, the same Apple that wants to "trap" you in their walled garden and "monopolize" everything by forcing people to use the App Store.

This kind of lets some air out of that bag, huh?

You have to pay Apple to issue a certificate because you have to use their servers and they can revoke this certificate at any time.

You can argue that these decisions make sense, but in the end it's still a walled garden with a tollbooth.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Is it just me or does anyone else really hate getting notifications? I disable everything and wish I could turn notification center off completely.

This new feature sounds super annoying.

Why is it super annoying? I love push notifications on my iPhone. It's so much better than notifications on my Mac which is usually delivered through e-mail. THAT'S what's annoying!

RolyPolyBird

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2010
I hope this will be something you must click on to sign up, as opposed to getting an unsolicited alert come up.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Guys, this is Apple. Of course you aren't going to get spammed. It's opt-in and sites must be registered with Apple.

From iMore:

But is that going to mean that every time I visit one of these registered sites I'm going to get a system pop-up saying "MacRumors would like to send you push notifications"? If this catches on and lots of sites register this could get really annoying really quickly. Yes, you could no doubt turn the function off, but I think a lot of people might want to use it for maybe news websites and aren't going to want to have to say no to every other retailer's website they visit that wants to be able to push notify them of their latest sale items every other day.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Now I don't have to go check in to websites to see if they've got anything new & interesting, I can just ignore them til they notify me they have, what it is, and I can decide if it's worth bothering going to check out.

I like this.

Which makes me wonder if the sites that this would actually be useful for (e.g. MacRumors) would even use it as they rely of page-clicks, many of which will be generated by people just visiting the site to check if there's any new news. Provide a notification system, and you lose those page-clicks. I bet right now in the run-up to iPhone 5S, most of the MacRumors web traffic is visits of less than 5 seconds - people just checking the site several times a day just to see if there's anything new. I realize that you could say the same about RSS, but this has the potential to be much more "mainstream"

JarJarThomas

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
I don't get your whining.
Chrome has notifications wich everyone can use without any additional check by google.
Browser notifications are added to the html standard, so every browser will give you these.

What is different here is that apple is a gatekeeper to prevent you from spamming.
And for the devs it doesn't cost a cent. You need to have a safari developer account wich you get for free.

Regarding usefullness
-> gmail can now show you a notification if you got an email
-> webservices like meetup can send you notifications about new Meetings
-> intraweb software can now inform you without installing local clients

So yes .. GREAT feature

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Why do Apple need to actually 'approve' these? Surely it would make much more sense to run it on RSS/ATOM feeds and have it show the headline for the story. Pushing it via Apple just seems like they are creating extra work for themselves.

The only logical reason I can see is more control over the OS, and an excuse to have the OS call home every minute.

Wonder how long it'll be before iAds comes to OS X...

Schlaefer

macrumors member
May 11, 2010
I don't get your whining.
Chrome has notifications wich everyone can use without any additional check by google.
Browser notifications are added to the html standard, so every browser will give you these.

I think you're mixing up local notifications (html standard) and Apple Push Notifications (new in OS X Maverick for Mac and proprietary).

And for the devs it doesn't cost a cent. You need to have a safari developer account wich you get for free.

You can't issue a certificate with an unpaid account (Safari Developer Account). At least you can't at the moment. Is there any info that this changes after Maverick is released?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.