Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006

Hyper-X

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2011
As the author admits....
"Truth be told, some of the issues may have arisen simply from the fact that developers did not have enough time to adapt their apps to the new hardware and the 64-bit Apple A7 chip, which could be the culprit."

"May have" are the key words there, it indicates some uncertainty. The point being whether it's related to the lack of app adaptation to the new hardware, the alarming amount of crashes continue to exist.

Part of the fault lies in how Apple shouldn't have allowed apps not designed/certified to be used on certain kinds of hardware in the first place. At the moment all the App Store seems to do is check for device iOS version then allows the user to download and install the app indiscriminately.

A legit, unjailbroken phone can only install apps from only one source, fully controlled and managed by Apple. When you think about it, it does seem quite silly that Apple doesn't have a good handle on this by now.

Last edited:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
The Galaxy S3 and S4 are "cheap low end" phones?

No. But the S3 and S4 are less than 20% of the marketshare that Samsung has in "Android Phones" The rest is flip phones that look like they came from 1999. That was his point.

----------

So, Samsung are only winning market share by creating products that people want to buy at a price people are prepared to pay.

It's almost like they have a range of products to cater to the needs of different consumers.

Giving people what they want? Samsung must be the worst company ever!

You don't see Ford implying they are winning the super car market by comparing their total vehicle market share to Ferrari. Samsung IS trying to make the public think this with their smearvirtising campaigns because they think the general public is stupid and want to be on the "next big thing." That's the difference.

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
Have someone splain it to you.

----------

Of course they are. That's why Walmart is selling the S4 for 96 cents on Black Friday.:rolleyes:

BestBuy was giving iPhone 5's away for free with trade in of any working smartphone from June to Sept... does that mean they are of lesser quality? Of course not. People fail to realize that there are vendor sponsored (Carriers such as Sprint, VZW, Att) events to gain/maintain new subscribers

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
You clearly don't understand the details of what goes into marketing such products with such generalizations. Which proves the next point of how

Last time I checked their products are priced very competitively and often times offer more functionality/flexibility. When you look at the refurb market (2nd hand phones), it's much easier to recondition a non-iOS phone and in Asia, there's a huge market on refurbs. One could argue that "undercutting" the competition is just as bad as overcharging for a phone that costs roughly $200 to make, at well over $600 US retail.

There's also the issue of how people claim how X is copying what Y does. Think about the iPad Mini market and what Steve Jobs had to say about what a tablet needed to be (pointing to the iPad 1). Apple came in late in the game only after recognizing the appeal the mini tablets had.

Sure. Let's go over some history.

iOS 5.01 vs Android 2011

iOS 6 vs Android 2012

iPhone 5s Crashing 2x more than previous models
http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apps-on-iPhone-5s-are-crashing-twice-more-often-than-on-previous-models_id48204#5-

Defects come in many forms, it goes beyond just hardware or software alone. Both need to be properly working for the product to function properly. To name a few...

- Never heard of an Android/Nokia/Windows Phone that had antenna issues by holding the unit wrong.

- Never heard of Samsung or any other smartphone with such a massive issue with camera lens flaring.

- Never heard of any non-iOS platform that was released with a major failure of their GPS-enabled maps application.

wow...that is a lot of typing to prove what?

When people have the cash and oppurtunity to upgrade to the iPhone they do in droves. It will be interesting to see how 5c cuts into the android numbers.

And to do an acurate analysis you will need to compare like products. Not any old thing runnng Android.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
I agree, it's very weird that third world countries are using $30 that don't have access to the LTE network that doesn't exist, instead of buying $200+ phones that have features they literally can't use.

Please refer to my last answer to the guy above as I'd answer pretty much the same thing to you too.

Where in my post did you read I'm judging anyone from third world countries based on their buying habit?

I was merely correcting a factual inaccuracy regarding market share and average device selling price, that is all.

I didn't attack Samsung nor their customers, so please stop reacting like I did.

It's getting annoying that you can't even discuss anything Samsung over here without generating reactions for things you didn't even say.

Defending a company that wasn't even attacked is almost as worse as attacking a company for no valid reason, and it's a behavior I notice more and more here and it's really getting annoying.

kdarling

macrumors P6
The good thing right now is that Samsung admits to stealing apple technology, and agreeing to sharing some of that profit. That will obviously be a counter argument in the trials ahead.

Don't confuse admitting infringement with stealing.

Both Samsung and Apple have been found guilty many times of patent infringement. It doesn't mean they stole anything.

Anyone can infringe on a patent without stealing. Especially with a software patent, where developers around the world constantly ... and independently... invent the same solution to the same problems, without ever knowing that someone else (usually a big company with money to burn) got a patent on that solution.

(Worse, many software patents seem to be more about vague ideas instead of specific implementations. Ideas alone are supposedly not patentable.)

As for the retrial, it'll be interesting to see if the new jury assigns as much value to the patents in question. After all, Samsung came up with workarounds for all of them, and their sales still took off. So it can hardly be argued that having, say bounce back, was critical either to their sales or for taking away Apple sales.

Last edited:

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Considering just how much Apple has stolen/ copied direct from WebOS and Android for it's iOS7.

We have no way to know if cards based task switching was not a license deal from LG or out of the patents they licensed earlier this year. We have no reason to presume it wasn't a square deal like Apple has done in the past.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-in-patents-originally-created-by-palm-others

With the money on the line IF Apple was infringing on Android Google would be all over it, but so far I don't see anything. Time will tell.

Last edited:

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
Parasites

What a cheap thing to do, steal technology and repackage it as their own. How can anyone endorse such a company? I can understand the deciding factor of purchasing a product for some is cost but I some people really love and are die hard Samsung junkies. Apple should add to their damages, punitive fines for the lack of integrity, the theft and time trying the case. Or not allow sales of Samsung items again. Samsung in Korean should mean parasite.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
We have no way to know if cards based task switching was not a license deal from LG our out of the patents they licensed earlier this year. We have no reason to presume it wasn't a square deal like Apple has done in the past.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-in-patents-originally-created-by-palm-others

With the money on the line IF Apple was infringing on Android Google would be all over it, but so far I don't see anything. Time will tell.

Apple didn't license anything from LG

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Instead of making a sarcastic commentary you could read your own link and you would see that Apple didn't licensed anything from LG, perhaps then you won't put those emoticons

If you read the post you would have seen I said LG OR from the collection they licensed earlier this year... Aka the link. :rolleyes:

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
If you read the post you would have seen I said LG OR from the collection they licensed earlier this year... Aka the link. :rolleyes:

Ah, then it is worse, you have absolutely nothing about LG, it is just a made up claim.

Now you can continue putting those emoticons, they say a lot

MortarionX

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2013
And here comes the Droid Trolls...

Unfortunately both the person you quoted (tech4all) and the guy in the video are correct about Apple not inventing much.

This was even discussed at TED by Kirby Ferguson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd-dqUuvLk4

In forums connected to articles relating to Apple products these people usually show up. Their contributions usually refer to Apple as a marketing company that has duped a sheep customer base that Apples inferior products are worth buying. An argument that inevitably follows is that Apple is a company without any innovation and who uses patents that, depending on the person commenting, either is an invention made by another company many years before or that real innovation is somehow connected to developing hardware and the production of it. Why they make their way to this forum, which is dedicated to people who in different ways care for what Apple is doing, is one of natures great mysteries.

To me innovation is about creating products that changes how people understand and uses technology. About making people who before wouldn't or couldn't, use and enjoy. About making a statement that every competitor has to follow. In that sense Apple is still the industry leader.

Samsung is a hardware manufacturer and a great one. But Samsung is not a gamechanger.

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I didn't mean to imply it was a negotiation. I'm aware that it's the jury that decides. It's pretty standard for the plaintiff and defendant to go in on complete opposite sides of the spectrum and it's not uncommon for the jury to set the damages somewhere more in the middle.

You are assuming that Apple is asking for more than they deserve. That would be totally dishonest. On the other hand, it seems that Samsung is offering much less than they should. That would be totally dishonest.

Now which of the companies would you think is totally dishonest? There is one whose CEO is convicted of tax evasion, that has been fined again and again for price fixing, that has been shown to cheat on benchmarks, has been fined for paying people for fake bad reviews of competitors, has been found to have illegally received confidental Apple documents from their lawyers, and has been threatened with a 13 billion Euro fine in the EU for patent abuse.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
Ah, then it is worse, you have absolutely nothing about LG, it is just a made up claim.

Now you can continue putting those emoticons, they say a lot

Fine, I'll spell it out, LG was the company that bought up webOS. Glad to know you are up on webOS dealings.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Except in the case of Samsung, where "stealing" is both accurate and blatant.

To me, something has to be an near exact copy to be considered blatant. Anything less is more like following a popularized style.

For example, some people try to say that Samsung's icons were "copies", yet anyone can see they are not. Even Apple didn't try to claim such nonsense.

Apple never tries to go that exact, because they know they'd lose such claims. (Just as they never tried to use the iPad design patent in a trial, since no other tablet looked exactly like an iPad.) Instead, they prefer to attempt to paint broader strokes of similarity using vaguer patents.

For example, one of the design patents in this awards retrial is the D'677 patent for the face of the iPhone. At first glance, you think well yeah, that's the iPhone. Look, Home button, rounded back, etc.

design618677_b.png

Except.. dashed lines are not part of design patents. Just the solid lines are. When we highlight only those, we get a rectangle inside a rounded rectangle, with a smaller rounded rectangular speaker slot.

design618677_c.png

Should that deserve protection? We'll see. There've been other phones like that before the iPhone. That design patent is now under review. (As are some of the utility patents in the retrial.)

Right now, it doesn't matter. Koh does not want to wait for the USPTO to make any decisions. In her opinion, if any of the patents are later invalidated, then Samsung can ask for their money back. Fair enough, I guess.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Glad to know you are up on webOS dealings.

Oh, no, the one that is up with LG dealing is you, you're the one making those claims.

Perhaps it would be easier admitting that you didn't read well that article you linked and that Apple has licensed anything from LG. Do you have any link about that deal or was just a mistake?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.