Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VA-Enthusiast

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
LOL! Hey are you an Amazon Vine Voice member? I'm a member and your username looks familiar....maybe it's just someone else with a similar username LOL. I could have sworn I've seen someone with your username hanging out in the Amazon Vine forum. :)

No, I don't even know what the "Amazon Vine Voice" is... I have been referred to as an "Amazon" by my nieces and nephews.... LOL :)

----------

I have been following this thread for quite a while, and just wanted to stop by and wish everyone still going thru the hiring process good luck! And Congratz to the ones awaiting training. Relax and stop worrying about what you do and don't know about Apple. Personality is what gets you in the door with either Kelly or Apple. You have to relay to the person your talking to that you want to help and earn their trust. Knowing and memorizing all the tech lingo isn't going to be your job. Things change from day to day, update to update. Your customer service skills get you the job.

I am with Kelly because Apple is not currently hiring in my area. Hoping to be a temp to hire.

Good advice! For example, you can sync iTunes to your iPhone through the USB connection but you can only set the iPhone 5 (not earlier versions) to sync through the WiFi connection.

Pilot DC

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
There are A LOT of companies that will tell an applicant that they're over qualified especially if you're well above the pay grade But that is not the case with this particular position. I know someone who got hired with a bachelors degree in computer science and electrical engineering for this position! This woman hasn't worked in a while just like me. My background is graphic design and web development. I have also done customer support in hardware services and worked as a depot administrator. Apple is big on diversity and hiring a pool of well rounded and talented candidates. There is a particular candidate that they're looking for. We don't know all the dynamics of why they choose certain people but I don't think it has anything to do with being overqualified. it could also come down to what recruiter you got. We will never know. There are recruiters and hiring managers that have their pet peeves and whose knows why they may or may not put a candidate through.

I remember reading through this thread and came across someone who was a little surprised they didn't get the HireRight email but yet their kids kept interrupting them during the interview. :rolleyes: If you are going to attend an interview in the common area and not your home office with the door shut what makes you think that Apple won't think you'll do the same thing once completing training? I was surprised when I read that!

I have a BS in Aeronautical Science and am A+, Net+, WinXP certed. I have the third interview on 9/6 for the 10/8 class. I also have Zero Mac experience. I know I can tend to be wordy in some of the questions, but I'll be sure to be more concise in the interview. I am also unemployed and this is my entry into the IT world which is where I want to be. I stressed to them how excited I would be to work for Apple because of their position and impact on the tech world. Maybe they just like the enthusiasm?? I feel I need to stress that I want to work for Apple and not just use this till something better comes my way. I want to be part of Apple.

VA-Enthusiast

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
Originally posted by LuvMyDragon
Things change from day to day, update to update. Your customer service skills get you the job.

I am with Kelly because Apple is not currently hiring in my area. Hoping to be a temp to hire.[/QUOTE]

-------------------------------
You're so right, especially in technology! As it relates to the Apple position, if you're interested in working directly for Apple you may want to consider submitting an application for an ACA position in the nearest state to your residency ... and see what happens....;). Have you quizzed the possibilities of career advancement with Kelly? hmmmmm

leesuhhbee

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
USA
I have been following this thread for quite a while, and just wanted to stop by and wish everyone still going thru the hiring process good luck! And Congratz to the ones awaiting training. Relax and stop worrying about what you do and don't know about Apple. Personality is what gets you in the door with either Kelly or Apple. You have to relay to the person your talking to that you want to help and earn their trust. Knowing and memorizing all the tech lingo isn't going to be your job. Things change from day to day, update to update. Your customer service skills get you the job.

I am with Kelly because Apple is not currently hiring in my area. Hoping to be a temp to hire.

I would try apply in other states. :)
I live in FL and I got the position located in Texas because there was nothing in my area available.
GOOD LUCK and keep trying!

LuvMyDragon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2012
-------------------------------
You're so right, especially in technology! As it relates to the Apple position, if you're interested in working directly for Apple you may want to consider submitting an application for an ACA position in the nearest state to your residency ... and see what happens....;). Have you quizzed the possibilities of career advancement with Kelly? hmmmmm

I'm actually curious as to if Kelly has more to offer. The job offer came exactly 14 days after I submitted my resume. When I spoke to the Kelly rep she told me that I would be going thru 90 days of training. I'm not sure if this was to see if I got shocked easily or not, or if they actually have more opportunities lined up for me in the near future. I know with Kelly, they expect you to be fully committed to them.

The offer actually came at the best time. We were planning a move because of my boyfriend accepting a promotion in a different state, so I didn't really have to go job hunting after we settled. But, my boyfriend isn't really liking the position he accepted, so we might have another move in the future. So for now, I'm just going to ride it out and see where life takes me. I'm sure if I need time off to move, Kelly isn't going to like that.

Customer Support is mainly my background. The most tech support I've done is trying to get the online stores to work for customers who have called in to the call centers I've worked for. So it's basic delete your cookies, delete your history, run a spyware program, or I'm sorry that browser doesn't work with the coding, use Internet Explorer and you won't have that problem, or I could take your order...

leesuhhbee

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2012
USA
For everyone that is in the 9/10 training class are you guys JUST solely iOS or everything (including Mac's, Apple TV's, ect?)

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
For everyone that is in the 9/10 training class are you guys JUST solely iOS or everything (including Mac's, Apple TV's, ect?)

I didn't think I'd be back on this thread BUT, I did ask that exact question during the phone session and was told that we'd be doing iOS only. The closest you'll come to supporting OSX is with syncing issues only( :( I'd rather work with Macs). I'm not looking forward to answering an endless stream of iPad and iPhone wifi connection problems but what the heck, it's a job I can do from my home office.

Mochalove

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
I filled out my app a week ago then I received the questionnaire Thursday I sent that back on Friday now I am anxiously waiting for a response. The questionnaire said the next class would be oct 8th. I'm hoping to have my FaceTime interview soon but I know it's a holiday weekend so I just have to be patient. I'm wondering if the questions will be similar to the questionnaire and I'm also wondering if I take the job here in Florida could I relocate to another location that is listed On their hiring website down the line! What was other people's experience with their FaceTime interview and were there many extensive IT questions? Good luck to everyone!

Mochalove

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2012
I just had my first phone Interview but now they are only hiring part time positions cause apparently all full time position have already been taken! I'm c

sk2bbb

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2012
did anyone have success by applying twice? ... they haven't notified me about anything so i'm just going to take the initiative and re-apply . i'm going to pretend like i don't know as much maybe i was too technical with my interview

apple im sorry for trying my best

Aug 5, 2012
Having taken the time to read this thread i will no longer accept dealing with an AAHA... Some of the posts here are worrying.

Apple needs to tighten its employment scrutiny

KLinPA

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2012
PA
Opinions please

I have applied for the position in PA twice. The job was posted 8/13 and 8/29 and I think it may have been posted in July. I haven't received any response. I feel I'm qualified. I work in a hospital where my job is all about empathy, customer service and, since I work night shift, I troubleshoot everything. I'm wondering if there is an issue with the recruiter in the area and if I should apply for the job posted for Ohio since it's the closest state with the At Home Advisor position. (I'm on the other side of PA close to NJ) I really need a new job. I'm being forced out of my current job due to policy changes and a medical condition I have. It's nothing that would prevent me from doing this job and I didn't mention anything about it in my application. :eek:

Thoughts?

Thanks!

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Having taken the time to read this thread i will no longer accept dealing with an AAHA... Some of the posts here are worrying.

Apple needs to tighten its employment scrutiny

LOL... Makes you wonder doesn't it? There are some pervasive elements throughout this thread that really had me scratching my head. BUT I'm pretty old, been around tech for a long time and do not have a high tolerance for naivete, fanboyism or those with a complete lack of critical thinking skills. In short... I'm a major curmudgeon.

Aug 5, 2012
LOL... Makes you wonder doesn't it? There are some pervasive elements throughout this thread that really had me scratching my head. BUT I'm pretty old, been around tech for a long time and do not have a high tolerance for naivete, fanboyism or those with a complete lack of critical thinking skills. In short... I'm a major curmudgeon.

Apple has really lowered its standards... Yet increased its wealth

Go figure!

acj757

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
I filled out my app a week ago then I received the questionnaire Thursday I sent that back on Friday now I am anxiously waiting for a response. The questionnaire said the next class would be oct 8th. I'm hoping to have my FaceTime interview soon but I know it's a holiday weekend so I just have to be patient. I'm wondering if the questions will be similar to the questionnaire and I'm also wondering if I take the job here in Florida could I relocate to another location that is listed On their hiring website down the line! What was other people's experience with their FaceTime interview and were there many extensive IT questions? Good luck to everyone!

There were a couple of responses in this thread that had a good overview of the questions asked. Also glassdoor.com had some good tips too. Good luck on your interview!

jlb13085

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
Summerville, SC
I have a low tolerance for ignorance & stupidity, especially with other people that have been hired in the same role as I am currently in. One actually wasted so much of our time in training because she just could not do the simplest things (for example, open a new tab in Firefox), yet she was hired to do tech support. Granted, the company will pretty much take an untrained monkey and teach them to do the job, but wow, I nearly lost my temper with her. I don't know why they didn't boot her out.

I do find it interesting that Apple does seem to be less focused on technical aspects of the applicants than the customer service part of the position. I suppose it's that tech skills can be taught but customer service is quite different. There's some learning that helps, but some people just don't have a clue. I do find it a tad worrying.

----------

I just received an email from them saying it has been completed and forwarded to Apple. Waiting some more. :p

It is because this position involves very little technical support and a whole lotta customer service. I think the extent of our troubleshooting will be having them power cycle their device.

SCIONTX

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2012
It is because this position involves very little technical support and a whole lotta customer service. I think the extent of our troubleshooting will be having them power cycle their device.

I thought the same thing until I started training with Kelly. You listen to live calls with experienced advisors. It requires much technical effort on your part. Too much for the little pay that Kelly offers.

Pilot DC

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
Oh OK LOL....this link talks about the program:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/vine/help

----------

You seem genuinely enthusiastic! I think you'll do fine.:) This is a wonderful way to get your foot in the door. I'm in agreement with you. I'm hoping that I can turn this opportunity into a career with Apple. I have to get an offer call first LOL! Good luck with your interview on 09/06!

Thanks, and best of luck to you as well!

gandsnut

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2012
Eastern Washington State
We're kinda on the same boat. Even though i haven't received the e-mail of death the recruiter never mentioned anything about a 3rd interview and said i'd receive a response within a few days. Considering everyone else's experience I'd have to say I'm most likely not getting the 3rd interview or a job offer.
Same boat for me, though let's keep hoping for the 3rd.

I have 6 years CS experience and 10+ years IT experience (yes this includes troubleshooting remote users). I too feel like I'm almost a little too overqualified considering some of the people that have been getting the position lol.
Same, same, but from 1990-2002.

----------

Has anybody called after the 2nd (video) interview to check on progressing towards the 3rd interview (and further steps)?

For what it's worth, during my 2nd interview with a male, I heard a woman in what was probably an adjoining cube doing an interview. The guy I talked to was personable and easy-going. I'm glad I could make an initial comment that made him chuckle.

Crossed fingers!

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Apple has really lowered its standards... Yet increased its wealth

Go figure!

This NY Times article pretty much sums it up. I've always had a great deal of respect for Apple even though I've spent the last 20 years working in a Windows/Unix universe. I've owned Macs since the Apple II SE and was thoroughly impressed with OSX when it was released. I view Apple now with the same disdain that I viewed Microsoft with in the 90's... they became big, arrogant and just a little too self-serving. Will I work for Apple? Sure... it's one of the few jobs I can do from my home office in a somewhat rural town. Do I have any illusions about "growing with Apple"? No, and for anyone that's starting as an AHA... just how far do you think you are going to go? It's an entry level service industry job and there's nowhere to go except sideways. I guess if you stay on long enough you can make AHA manager but Apple created this position with the idea that people will work for a few years and move on. If you want upward mobility get an MBA or a BSCS and work in Cupertino.

mistatnn

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
I was just wondering if anyone thats scheduled to start in the 9/10 class heard anything since turning in your I-9 form? I sent mine in last Tuesday but havent heard anything yet. Im gonna email my recruiter in a few but since she was probably off during the holiday, figured I wont hear a response until tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.