Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
It's awful on Honda Accord 2016. I disabled it completely.

'you need to get the firmware updated of your Accord 2016 in dash entertainment and it will work fine. I had problems with my civic but it works flawlessly now!

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
I bought a 2017 Nissan Maxima about 3 weeks ago. It's the first car Nissan put CarPlay in. It works amazingly well. I couldn't be happier.

Reactions: StoneJack

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
I bought a 2017 Nissan Maxima about 3 weeks ago. It's the first car Nissan put CarPlay in. It works amazingly well. I couldn't be happier.
You cant do ANYTHING unless you activate siri, it forces your messages on the screen with NO option to turn it off, mirrors your phone 100%. My passenger can plug in his phone, put music on, but if he goes to use his messages, its blasted for everyone to hear. Its utterly useless.

LatinaC09

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
So I have tried Apple Maps for a few weeks now to see how I like the interface.

Some Caveats:
I love how accurate Waze is with traffic and ETA's. The very nature of how it works would be hard to beat on these two aspects.
VW Navigation is pretty good in terms of quickness, and the graphics are much better than the 2015 Golf R I had. I also like that it includes the speed limit of the road I am on, very helpful when I am in an unfamiliar part of town. I also like how it projects the basics to my center display next to my speedometer.

Those two things considered, I have been very impressed with Apple Maps. The interface is great, I love how I can pick my routes. The traffic is pretty darn good and the ETA is OK. I love how it pauses my audio books to give me verbal commands. Overall, it is a great compromise and I will continue to use it.

Call me crazy, but I am a fan of CarPlay. Yes, there is room for improvements, but I really like it. I can tell that it is something I am fond of when I drive my wife's car and really miss it.

I just got a Volkswagen Tiguan on Saturday. I love CarPlay so far. It works smooth for me. I was worried about Maps since I knew it wouldn't interface with Google Maps but so far Apple Maps is doing a great job and I haven't encountered any problems.

I had a Jetta before this and I can tell you that CarPlay is wayyyyyyyyyy better than the random interfaces that you get with car manufacturers (at least with VW). Yes, it is limited in what it can do but I think that's the point, they don't want you playing with the screen constantly because that defeats the entire purpose as your eyes should be on the road.

Spankey

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2007
NJ
I was happy to see that Night Mode is finally working correctly after the 10.2 update. Hopefully it will be a bit more stable as well.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
So when i get a facetime video call while connected to carplay i dont get any notifications on Headunit. Anyone else facing this problem

page3

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2003
Outside the EU
10.2 has really broken CarPlay for me.

1. Connectivity issues I've never had before.
2. iBooks keeps giving an error - my most used app!
3. Maps ETA function now gives directions too, which rather defeats the point.

Rolling back to 10.1.

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
'you need to get the firmware updated of your Accord 2016 in dash entertainment and it will work fine. I had problems with my civic but it works flawlessly now!

I am having problems since updating to 10.2. CarPlay no longer works with my iPhone 6S and Civic 2016. How do I get this Honda update? Would I have to bring it to a dealership? Thanks for any advice.

MuGeN PoWeR

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2011
I am having problems since updating to 10.2. CarPlay no longer works with my iPhone 6S and Civic 2016. How do I get this Honda update? Would I have to bring it to a dealership? Thanks for any advice.

yeah i was having problems so i took it to dealership and told them to update the firmware for the ICE.

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Just to throw a spanner in the works...

I use Android Auto. I have every Apple product and I still chose to hook up my Pixel XL and use AA as it has better maps; more features and I can ask Google things carplay can't even comprehend.

Philpug

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
Reno, Nv
I am really happy with the CarPlay in my 17 VW Alltrack. I woudl like more apps, would like to see my Chamberlin garage door opener app.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Just to throw a spanner in the works...

I use Android Auto. I have every Apple product and I still chose to hook up my Pixel XL and use AA as it has better maps; more features and I can ask Google things carplay can't even comprehend.

This is when I wish I had an Android device - the greatest selling points of the Pixel are Google Maps & Google Assistant. In the car, they'd be invaluable.

Apple Maps is no good. It tries, but is no where near as accurate, user-friendly as Google Maps.

I just wish IOS had a function where you could set your default Map/Navigation software, because I'd ditch Apple Maps for good.

Luckily, my personal car isn't driven every day & I can use Google Maps in my work vehicle....being able to Voice Search in either Google Maps or Chrome (via use of 3D Touch) is almost like having the Google Assistant with me, & so finding phone numbers & locations of businesses (a common use for me) is a breeze.

Reactions: big samm

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
I am super excited about Waze on Android Auto which is due this month (apparently it was shown off last May at Google IO).

Google Maps is awesome but Waze has more live traffic and so I will be using that as soon as it launches (hopefully in the next few weeks.).

audirs5

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2014
I just DONT understand how Apple just cant COPY the competitor. How hard is it. Their stuff works, FOLLOW THEM.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
This thread is rather sobering. I just bought a CarPlay head unit yesterday to add the options I missed out on by purchasing a new base model car (hands free calling, Bluetooth, backup camera). The fact that the head unit had CarPlay was a bonus (I bought the Pioneer SPH-DA120 that was on sale yesterday for $299).

To be honest, I haven't really been following what has been going on with CarPlay. I knew it had been out for a while and figured it would have come a long way. This morning when trying to check what apps supported CarPlay, I was amazed to find that there are not many available at all.

I'm surprised to find how many dislike CarPlay. I've used it in my car for about an hour total so far - so I don't know what to expect. From my limited usage it seems like a good upgrade even compared to some auto manufacturers 'premium' head units like I have in my 2015 pickup.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
This thread is rather sobering. I just bought a CarPlay head unit yesterday to add the options I missed out on by purchasing a new base model car (hands free calling, Bluetooth, backup camera). The fact that the head unit had CarPlay was a bonus (I bought the Pioneer SPH-DA120 that was on sale yesterday for $299).

To be honest, I haven't really been following what has been going on with CarPlay. I knew it had been out for a while and figured it would have come a long way. This morning when trying to check what apps supported CarPlay, I was amazed to find that there are not many available at all.

I'm surprised to find how many dislike CarPlay. I've used it in my car for about an hour total so far - so I don't know what to expect. From my limited usage it seems like a good upgrade even compared to some auto manufacturers 'premium' head units like I have in my 2015 pickup.

I still prefer it by a large margin to any other OEM audio/media system even if it simply duplicates the general functionality. I like that it provides a more cohesive experience between my phone and car, the UI is much better (from layout to typography), I like some of the application separation (ex: Music and Podcasts in their own dedicated app) and for functions like Navigation, while it's limited to Apple Maps, they contain way more updated info vs. the annual updates from the OEM.

What needs to happen is for Apple to open up development - they want to restrict games, video streaming, potentially dangerous while driving (though they could use the GPS to determine movement ...) that's fine, but we really need additional apps like alternate nav apps, notifications, a widget system for the sidebar for *simple* info like temperature or quick forecasts (I'd love a full on weather app).

When you fire up Xcode, Car Play should be an application option: iPhone, Watch ... Car Play, then let Apple review like any other application deployment, even if the CP rules are more rigid.

Just my $0.02

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I love CarPlay in my 2016 Ford Escape. I just wish that CarPlay + Siri would allow me to control my HomeKit devices without unlocking my iPhone first...

BoutiqueMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
Miramar Beach, FL
I have a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and CarPlay rarely works like it should. I have the same issues most others posted about....sometimes Siri is louder than music and other times the music doesn't mute to let her speak. Many times I cannot even use the radio controls if my iphone 7 plus is plugged into usb and thus connected via CarPlay. If I use CarPlay to text someone, and that works successfully most of the time, after the text is complete my phone will start playing random music that is stored on it through CarPlay instead of the music/station it was playing prior to the text. In short, CarPlay is miserable and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to charge my device in my car through any of the multiple USB ports without it automatically connecting to CarPlay. Same with any guests in my car, if they try to just charge their device while riding with me, their phone automatically connects to CarPlay and starts blasting their texts through the car speakers for everyone to hear...I definitely prefer simple bluetooth and using my steering wheel controls to tell Siri what to do instead.

Kevsta26

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2011
USA
I have a 2016 GMC Yukon Denali and CarPlay rarely works like it should. I have the same issues most others posted about....sometimes Siri is louder than music and other times the music doesn't mute to let her speak. Many times I cannot even use the radio controls if my iphone 7 plus is plugged into usb and thus connected via CarPlay. If I use CarPlay to text someone, and that works successfully most of the time, after the text is complete my phone will start playing random music that is stored on it through CarPlay instead of the music/station it was playing prior to the text. In short, CarPlay is miserable and unfortunately I haven't been able to find a way to charge my device in my car through any of the multiple USB ports without it automatically connecting to CarPlay. Same with any guests in my car, if they try to just charge their device while riding with me, their phone automatically connects to CarPlay and starts blasting their texts through the car speakers for everyone to hear...I definitely prefer simple bluetooth and using my steering wheel controls to tell Siri what to do instead.

There should be some sort of CarPlay settings in your car's default interface. My Ford's Sync 3 system has a section for CarPlay settings where you can set it so it does not automatically connect to CarPlay when plugged in or even disable it for certain devices.

Voxis

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2015
Android Auto is the way to go ... at least for now. I hope BMW can bring android auto to the lineup. Although their in-house system works pretty well.

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Having just purchased a new 2017 vehicle with CarPlay, and with this being my first interaction with it, I'm moderately unimpressed. The interface screens are boring. Music app can't enrich the screen with some album art or more than just plan text for the artist/album/song title? I might get some use from Messages while driving, but if I happen to miss the 5 second window to touch the message alert, then it's very distracting trying to find the message again to play it back.

To be honest, a $15 magnetic vent mount for my iPhone 7+ and a BT connection gives me all my apps for music and maps (Google Maps at that!), and a beautifully rich screen right in front of me without the need to tinker with a screen that is not intuitive.

I think that car systems still have a long way to go. Even though they are current technology, their appearance looks like something from 10 years ago.

BoutiqueMe

macrumors newbie
Jan 21, 2017
Miramar Beach, FL
There should be some sort of CarPlay settings in your car's default interface. My Ford's Sync 3 system has a section for CarPlay settings where you can set it so it does not automatically connect to CarPlay when plugged in or even disable it for certain devices.

Thanks - I'll try that. Reading the manual, that's a novel idea. I should've thought of that first :)

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I just (24 hrs ago) bought a 2017 Chevy Volt. I've played a little bit with the CarPlay integration and it does something on the Volt that I don't recall it doing in my daughter's 2016 Jetta - with music playing I switched back to the Chevy system. The music continued to play and when I went in to the Chevy audio system the album art, track info, etc., was all still available and I could switch tracks, etc., from Chevy's interface. Didn't need to stay inside the CarPlay section.

Not sure if this is how it's always been or if it's a new addition, but I don't recall being able to do this on the other car we have with CarPlay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.