Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
All the kids who were 8 when Pokemon was first released are now in their 20's and 30's and experiencing a huge wave of nostalgia.
I guess it's a good way for them to take their minds off of crushing college debt.

emm386

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2016
Oh how quickly Apple went from innovating through blood&sweat research to investing into already existing trends...

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I'm beginning to think the only reason for the delays to this product upgrade is down to TC personally soldering every component.

I think it's so far down on his spreadsheet in sales numbers, that he does not even realise it's still an apple product .

Reactions: Demo Kit

cfc

macrumors 68030
May 27, 2011
I'm hoping someone applies augmented reality to photos or videos. I'd love to be able to point my phone at something and superimpose photos that were taken from roughly that place onto what I can see.

As an example you could visit an empty sports stadium and see what it was like on the day of a major event. Or revisit somewhere you have been before and see photos of yourselves sitting there. Or superimpose really old historic photos onto current scenes. It could even be used to help create some clever memes!

It would require orientation information to be added to photos, and the app may need to guide you to the right viewing position. If the photo seems slightly out then the app could provide some way to manually adjust it to give a better match with the current view. The user could drag or slightly stretch the image, to allow for viewing from slightly different positions.

Maybe it's just me but that sort of use of augmented reality really appeals!

Noviwan

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2016
Get ready for the Apple HoloLens.
Would be nice but at this point is just hype. From what has been public demos, Google is far ahead of Apple in this area. First project Tango phone with enough sensors for "real" augmented reality is out this year, I have seen live demo and it works; Apple has shown nothing just vague claims of "secret research".

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
funny-nintendo.jpg

Nintendo also blew their chance with augmented reality games which is surprising considering how innovative they can be. If they weren't so stubborn protecting their hardware business and just made mobile games on smartphone five years ago, life for them would be a little more Princess Peach-y. Now they have to sit and watch while Niantic gets most of the credit.

1782563045-faf1ac561758ae37ea10c825b7c8856dd2b04dd0.jpg

pokemon-go-owns2.jpg

Guess will have to wait for that Nintendo NX until we start seeing real Nintendo games on our smartphones.

1111104276-funny-picture-nintendo.jpg

Okay, so if this augmented reality games becomes trendy, can we finally get a mobile version of Reality Fighters with the exception that it doesn't suck like it did on the Vita? I want to take pictures of people I despise and smash their face.

1011065508-Funniest_Memes_nintendo-oui_8616.jpeg

Omega Mac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2013
Are investors this flippant and insecure about what Apple is? DO they understand technology at all?

If it wasn't for the vision of Apple and it's software/hardware platform approach this game wound't have been as successful. Apple pretty much created this iteration of how things are done.

Otelm

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2013
Sounds like a total PR BS, he's just saying what people want to hear. You can ask him about anything and he'll reply the same.

We have been and continue to invest a lot in this. We're high on [insert anything here] in the long run and we think there are great things for customers and a great commercial opportunity.

Except that Apple did acquire Metaio https://techcrunch.com/2015/05/28/apple-metaio/ so they did invest, and they probably plan to do something with that investment. Not really total PR BS, at least in this case.

G-News

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Switzerland
Utter PR ********. I can tell, because I work in PR.
That whole Statement says nothing concrete apart from the fact that they like to have developers raking in cash for them with AR-Apps and that they provide basic support to developers.
"invest a lot" can mean anything from a few billion dollars in cash to a few coffee break discussions at top management level.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Why should he be intimately familiar with something aimed at kids and teens which got popular when he was almost 40? That's one of the reasons he runs Apple while you and I are here.

Come on...... Maybe the CEO of a company that is looking to make $3 billion dollars !!!!! From an app.....might take notice??

It's not who it's aimed at, Tim is not expected to play the game, but $3 billion looks mighty Impressive .....for doing nothing !!! So yeah he should take interest.

You are nothing from the game and yet know the basics. Imagine if it was netting you millions

tweedechidna

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2016
I get just as much pleasure playing Pokémon Go with my camera off. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss some clever AR? Am I bad Pokèperson?

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
I've honestly never once heard an American pronounce "Pokemon" properly. So, I'll give Tim a pass. :D

Never once? There are kids who grew up watching the TV show after school everyday - pretty sure virtually all of them know how to pronounce it.
[doublepost=1469621482][/doublepost]
I get just as much pleasure playing Pokémon Go with my camera off. Am I doing it wrong? Did I miss some clever AR? Am I bad Pokèperson?

The camera part got old almost immediately for me too.

Cineplex

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2016
He's been a bit busy running the most profitable company in the world, so he hasn't quite made it to level five trainer yet.
Busy doing what? Choosing colors for watch bands? Flying to India to try and sell them used bands?

Number one source of revenue: iPhone. Number one iOS app:pokemon Go. It is his job to know these things.

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
'giving the App Store credit for empowering developers to "press a button" and "offer a product around the world.'

Geez, I wish it was that easy...
[doublepost=1469624795][/doublepost]
I guess it's a good way for them to take their minds off of crushing college debt.
Hard to obtain a solid career with a master in Mayan Art History....

dmylrea

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
Cook, who continually referred to "Pokémon" as "Pokemans," said Pokémon Go is a "testament to what happens to innovative apps," giving the App Store credit for empowering developers to "press a button" and "offer a product around the world."

Yeah, unlike from the Google Play Store which, apparently, does it differently. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.