Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
But they don't do that for iPhone, iPad, MAC OS, IOS, etc…

Wish they spent that much attention on IOS.

There is a big difference in how much research should/could go into an entirely new product type, than updates to an existing product. Unless you are proposing that Apple should not update their iOS on an annual basis (since you seem to be suggesting that they should put two years of research into that as well).

----------

This is why IOS and MAC OS suffer. All these people focussed on this nonsense. Get back to work and fix what's broke.

Good to know that you consider the watch nonsense. Unfortunately, someone else chimed in before you, and called iOS nonsense, so Apple already chose to accept their arbitrary opinion and give up on it.

MacrumoursUser

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2014
Denmark
18000 hours is nothing. 50000 hours is nothing. They will get a 1 000 000 or so preorders and when people are going to get those watches and go for runs, bicycle trips ad so on next day it will be 1 000 000 hours of tests. And those 18 000 will mean **** and all kinds of issues will start to pop up.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
It's interesting that they would choose zirconia for just two of the models, and not the Sport model. Must be a cost-saving decision. If this ceramic material offers such superior performance for the sensors, you'd think that the Sport model would be the first to get it, since sensing the body would be critical for this particular watch.

Because if I want to jog, I will still jog with my upcoming stainless steel watch, assuming I can preorder one in time.

I won't buy a separate Sports watch for exercising just because it says Sports. :-D

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Lol, this is Macrumors. I would be surprised if some douche didn't bash Samsung, Google or any of the other Android manufacturers.

HAHA.... who is the bigger douche.... an Apple fan on an Apple fan website liking Apple products.... or you... spending your time on an Apple site, hating Apple and people that like Apple.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
It's the same tech as all the wrist worn HRMs as far as anyone knows until someone takes it apart and says otherwise. Did they say if it does all day HRM or only for activities?

Not sure what you're talking about here as the UP3 is the first fitness band to use bio-impedance sensors; it doesn't have optical LEDS at all, while the Apple Watch is 100% optical sensors.

Anyone know how the heartrate sensor compares to the one that will be on the up3? same technology?

Stanford released a study saying that bio-impedance sensors can capture an accurate heart rate with as little as 1 square centimeter of skin contact. Optical sensors are an older technology and can capture an accurate HR if the individual isn't moving or talking. Bio-impedance works regardless if individual is moving as it's based off of the traditional HR strap tech.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Yeah pretty much.

Well, fortunately noone is asking you to like the watch, buy it, or care about it.
For those that do have interest in it, they are likely happy to see that a lot of work has gone into it. Really not a very complex situation.

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Not sure what you're talking about here as the UP3 is the first fitness band to use bio-impedance sensors; it doesn't have optical LEDS at all, while the Apple Watch is 100% optical sensors.

Stanford released a study saying that bio-impedance sensors can capture an accurate heart rate with as little as 1 square centimeter of skin contact. Optical sensors are an older technology and can capture an accurate HR if the individual isn't moving or talking. Bio-impedance works regardless if individual is moving as it's based off of the traditional HR strap tech.

The only HUGE down side of the UP3 is the passive heart rate monitoring. While Optical is not as accurate while moving, it will still do a pretty decent job if the watch is put on correctly.

I currently use the "Instant Heart Rate" by Azuimo app on my iPhone, it uses the Flash + Camera and it does a surprisingly decent job of capturing your heart rate, so I can imagine the optical sensors on these bands including the apple watch will do an even better watch.

I think Continuous Heart Rate monitoring is vital in a health band. My guess is Jawbone thought they could get the bio-impedance working but was not able to get the required battery life out of it so they stuck to passive.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
If Apple started collecting data since 2 years ago, it would mean that their effort started even earlier.

Looking forward to play with all the third party apps, Apple Pay, and the health + fitness angle for Apple Watch.

Also.... tsk tsk tsk. So many astroturfers gathered here just to spread FUDs about any and all Apple Watch news. :-D

Some paid astroturfers apparently have been caught in Singapore spreading lies about their customers' competitors. FTC should launch an investigation on this site too: ;-)
http://www.prweek.com/article/1338736/when-agencies-sin-clients-name-singtel-gushcloud

----------

MrXiro obviously doesn't know Apple at all. Haven't heard of Apple's CPU, Touch ID, Apple Pay SecureElement, Force Touch, plus the numerous customizations in other chips like Qualcomm's cellular chip (since iPhone can support more LTE bands than other phones).

We also heard of rumors about special HomeKit chip. The Apple Watch itself also has the custom Haptic chip, plus who knows what other secret sauces inside the S1.

Apple's CPU... you mean the SOC like the A8? The ones made by Samsung? Made mostly to keep the size of the phone small?

Haptic Chip? Like this tech developed last year by Fujitsu? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/feedback-tactile-heptic-touch-fujitsu,26244.html

A singular cell chip that encompasses more bands isn't a new tech. It's condensing existing techs.

Seems like you're the one that doesn't know Apple let alone understand technology at all... :rolleyes:

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
It's the same tech as all the wrist worn HRMs as far as anyone knows until someone takes it apart and says otherwise. Did they say if it does all day HRM or only for activities?

It can do up to 7hrs of constant HRM, so it can do all day but you will have to charge it.

imo, you only really need it for when you are doing physical activity.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
True. If you're heart rate is 64 as compared to 104, means very little. It's the context along with the multitude of variables. No doctor would ever state what is a good rate from a poor one. Single digit metrics tell very little. Unless your heart rate is zero!

Most treadmills i have been on have a chart that shows what your maximum heart rate should be for various age brackets. Generally, the older you are the lower your max heart rate should be. I've never seen any other kind of measurement referenced. Like another person mentioned... when i watch cycling on tv... i've only ever heard them talk about how many watts they are generating. But i've no idea if thats because they have no accurate way of measuring their heart rate while riding the bike, or if its just because they don't think its useful. For me measuring watts generated would be like saying "i can bench press 200 pounds, and you can only bench press 150... therefore i'm getting a better workout than you." If someone is a small, fragile person.... they could be capable of generating far less watts, yet still be in far better shape than you.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles

I didn't check what is used on the UP3. Guess it doesn't use the same optical tech. But more devices do use the same tech as the Apple Watch.

----------

It can do up to 7hrs of constant HRM, so it can do all day but you will have to charge it.

imo, you only really need it for when you are doing physical activity.

Ah I use the Fitbit Surge right now and I like having All Day HRM. Though it's really not necessary. But I do get a good idea what my resting heart rate is though.

----------

It's interesting that they would choose zirconia for just two of the models, and not the Sport model. Must be a cost-saving decision. If this ceramic material offers such superior performance for the sensors, you'd think that the Sport model would be the first to get it, since sensing the body would be critical for this particular watch.

From the Apple website:

Sounds like sapphire crystal might cause interference and the ceramic won't impede one a wireless signal that the combination of steel and sapphire would... at least that's how I read that quote. I could be wrong but that's what it sounded like to me. Steel for sure wouldn't be good for wireless devices.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2008
Gee...Disney owns ABC...and Disney has been a strong Partner of Apple for over a decade. You think maybe this is interview/tv special is just a tad bit biased? Yeah, me too.

J4B3

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
Gamma Quadrant
Did I name the UP3? I didn't realize I had... cause I didn't.

Your response to Irfan22's question was in regards to the UP3; you may have been referring to the Apple Watch, if I misunderstood.

The only HUGE down side of the UP3 is the passive heart rate monitoring. While Optical is not as accurate while moving, it will still do a pretty decent job if the watch is put on correctly.

This is a huge point that I didn't consider. Active vs passive HR monitoring is probably a really good reason Apple went with optical sensors.

FlatCable

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2015
Battery life + apple = biggest tech joke ever :rolleyes:

And I'm 100% sure you never had any Apple device.

The difference between Apple and everyone else is that Apple actually communicates what you can achieve with their devices.

As with any other brand, if they say 6 hours, you get 3 or 4 if you are lucky.

Same with smart watches. Apple is the only brand to say how they tested their watch to get the 18 hours. And it's not an easy test, with 45 minutes of app usage only, 30 of fitness tracking, not withstanding receiving a notification every 12 minutes and checking the time every 12 minutes too.

Where do you get similar data from LG, Sony, Moto, Samsung, etc?

That's right, you don't. All I see is BS from Android fanboys online, and double standards.

Forget it, Apple is not for you.

----------

Apple's CPU... you mean the SOC like the A8? The ones made by Samsung? Made mostly to keep the size of the phone small?

Yes, the ones that beat the benchmarks every time, power the fastest phones everytime. Custom designed by Apple, and reproduced by TSMC, Samsung, whoever makes them cheap.

Mas mostly to keep the phone faster that'll any other, while consuming the least battery.

And lets not forget

Sep 2013 - Apple launches the first 64 bit phone
Sep 2014 - Apple launches the second 64 bit phone

Crzyrio

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Your response to Irfan22's question was in regards to the UP3; you may have been referring to the Apple Watch, if I misunderstood.

This is a huge point that I didn't consider. Active vs passive HR monitoring is probably a really good reason Apple went with optical sensors.

Yeah! I really liked every aspect of the UP3, but that was what ruined it for me :(.

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
And I'm 100% sure you never had any Apple device.
You'd be 100% wrong. Unless you think he's been trolling the forum for 5 years (member since 2010).;) I'll give you this, for a new member of the forum, you are more than willing to go out on a limb and be completely wrong. That's something.

The difference between Apple and everyone else is that Apple actually communicates what you can achieve with their devices.

Apple uses aspiration marketing better than any company I can think of. You can take products from Apple, MS, Samsung, Google, or whomever and achieve the exact same things. Apple is just hella better at making the association between your activity and their product. Along with making a quality product, it's one of the reasons Apple is so successful.

As with any other brand, if they say 6 hours, you get 3 or 4 if you are lucky.

Pretty much all brands say up to X hours. As with any product, including Apple's, MMV based on usage. Apple realizes this. That's why Tim said people would most likely need to charge every night.

Forget it, Apple is not for you.

Good to see you've taken it upon yourself to be arbiter of who Apple is for.;)

Sep 2013 - Apple launches the first 64 bit phone
Sep 2014 - Apple launches the second 64 bit phone

Welcome to MR. Long, long ago we came to the conclusion that "first" means absolutely nothing; tantamount to getting the first post in a thread.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal

Haptic Chip? Like this tech developed last year by Fujitsu? http://www.tomshardware.com/news/feedback-tactile-heptic-touch-fujitsu,26244.html

A singular cell chip that encompasses more bands isn't a new tech. It's condensing existing techs.

Seems like you're the one that doesn't know Apple let alone understand technology at all... :rolleyes:

Wow, you're a serious button pusher!

A8 is a custom SOC design (integrates custom ARM CPU with highest IPC, caches, a Power VR GPU, etc) and TSMC is the fab, not Samsung (should at least use the correct company in your putdown... (sic)).

Make sure to read up what a fab does since you do not seem to know.

Read this for your education, since you're all into being "exact"...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_A8
and this
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...6-chip-is-a-2-billion-transistor-20nm-monster
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/apple-iphone-6-plus-review,3976-6.html
http://www.androidorigin.com/apples-dual-core-cpus-faster-androids-octa-core-cpus/

Btw, you're the fastest to ever go my ignore list.

Last edited:

Seanthesheep

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2011
I love the message below the video saying "For those outside the USA, here is a low quality version".

Not entirely sure what is implied by this, but I'm guessing it is for those with a poor connection? If so, why not just say click here if you have a slow download rate.

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012

Samsung didn't design the chip. Apple did.
TSMC _and_ Samsung are contracted to produce them.

There's a published story in Taiwan about Samsung stealing manufacturing technologies from TSMC:
http://english.cw.com.tw/article.do?action=show&id=14895

So ? Apple can make their own. Many people design different chips in the phone too, but Apple designed their own or customize one from existing design. :)

Nonsense ! Based on your misinformation above, it's so obvious that you are trying to mislead everyone. ;-)

It's integration, miniaturization (i.e., customization) plus firmware work.

lol. Look at the mirror when you say that statement. You are a liar.
Apple don't just take existing low end parts to make their phone.

They design new chips, and they also customize existing parts that meet their needs.

Last edited:

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
Welcome to MR. Long, long ago we came to the conclusion that "first" means absolutely nothing; tantamount to getting the first post in a thread.

That's actually not quite what people say.

They generally meant "first doesn't mean anything unless you also do it right".

Apple's 64-bit chip was done right and fast.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I'm wondering.

Do you actually buy this story as it's being presented to us?

A secret building, full of camera photogenic fit employees, all working out on gym equipment for 2 years that looks brand new, all totally unaware as to what they were doing there?

Does not any of this look or sound in the slightest bit fishy?

viacavour

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2012
I'm wondering.

Do you actually buy this story as it's being presented to us?

A secret building, full of camera photogenic fit employees, all working out on gym equipment for 2 years that looks brand new, all totally unaware as to what they were doing there?

Does not any of this look or sound in the slightest bit fishy?

What's wrong with keeping a lab clean ? The labs I go to are generally clean after many years. It's not a pub or restaurant or your home with kids. It's a lab. An Apple lab. They probably have professional cleaners cleaning it regularly too.

Look at the video yourself ! I am shocked you think everyone there is photogenic. Oh poor you. >_<
They are just regular people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.