Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
This can only lead to poorer wages, poorer working conditions and poorer outcomes for all factory workers assembling Apple products. Disgraceful, Apple.

Has Apple's corporate social responsibilities been completely discarded? People, planet, and profit can exist together if the balance is correct, but this isn't balanced.

Apple, how about cut your retail pricing of iPhone, iPad, Macs, etc and absorb the cost of doing so via the incredible profit margins made on each item sold.

Every company in existence attempts to negotiates lower prices with their suppliers to maximize their margins. This is a common business practice, but somehow it's become news.

When you seek out the lowest airfares (or anything else for that matter) you're essentially doing the same thing... You're pressuring airlines to negotiate lower fuel prices and lower wages in order to maintain their margins.

Are you as hard on yourself for being "disgraceful" as you are on Apple? The difference being, Apple has a legal responsibility to maximize profits; you do it out of sheer greed... as do I... but I'm not pointing fingers.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
You pressure your part suppliers for discounts in components, you'll get what you pay for as usual. If they go this way, expect the return rate for defective product to skyrocket.

Reactions: Demo Kit

bladerunner2000

Suspended
Jun 12, 2015
Isn't this the basis of price fixing?

Apple has been guilty of that before with its NAND memory 'deal' with Samsung. They hoarded all the NAND chips available at such a low price that it made it nearly impossible for other companies to produce MP3 players either at all or at a price that made it worthwhile.

But hey.. who cares? As long as people get to show off that pretty Apple logo and look fashionable, that's all that matters... RIGHT?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
As ollyw said, the iPhone is going to become very expansive in the UK. I actually expect a price hike very soon to reflect the weak pound. Apple is very quick to act when the exchange rate is in their favour.

Looks like the iPhone 7 is going to be kinda bland from the rumours and be most expansive iPhone ever.

Wonder if TC will be shocked that iPhone sales are weak this time round due to the weak pound and no doubt euro by September .

Sorry brexiters , Apple products are about to get even more expansive .

thisisnotmyname

macrumors 68020
Oct 22, 2014
known but velocity indeterminate
It's simple maths: cut the retail sale price, increase payments to suppliers, absorb the difference easily without issue.

The formula:

Still Really Great Margins for Apple
=

Lower Retail Sale Price
+
Increase Payments to Suppliers

There won't be anyone at Apple HQ on struggle street employing this formula.

I presume you've already made your annual offer to your employer to cut your salary, correct? And called your landlord and told her to raise your rent further?

Reactions: Weaselboy

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
As ollyw said, the iPhone is going to become very expansive in the UK. I actually expect a price hike very soon to reflect the weak pound. Apple is very quick to act when the exchange rate is in their favour.

Looks like the iPhone 7 is going to be kinda bland from the rumours and be most expansive iPhone ever.

Wonder if TC will be shocked that iPhone sales are weak this time round due to the weak pound and no doubt euro by September .

Judging by your impressive signature, you are going to be hit very hard by brexit. :)

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
Sorry, but I can't justify purchase another iPhone for a long time. The 6s is jam packed already. Apple should consider releasing new revisions every 2 years.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England

I'm also surprised they have already put the prices up as they are currently selling in the UK for $50-$60 lower than the US list price (minus VAT).

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Apple is doing this so that they can have a higher profit margin? How much more profit they need considering iPhone is very expensive already. I would have thought they want to lower the price so they can cut the price for customers benefit. With this kind of mindset they would never ever bring the production back in the US. SMH!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
All these people here complaining about something that all companies do, surely they'll put their money where their mouth is and stop buying Apple products because Apple is somehow particularly reprehensible in this matter.

Nope, they'll all be here next year on their new Kaby Lake MBP or iPhone 7 to complain about Apple wanting lower costs on their next products.

Seriously people, you want real change? Quit buying Apple products. I see the same people over and over again in these threads complaining about every single thing Apple does. As long as you keep buying their products, they're never going to change. Of course, they're not going to change their ways for just one person... but in the meantime, maybe you'll feel better buying products from a company that you can actually support?

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Tim Cook needs to realize that the smartphone has become a "cash-cow" product and moved away as a "star" product. (read BCG matrix)

In a cash-cow environment you can NOT demand high-prices from customers with high margins! Market share is the most important factor for a cash-cow product and apple is losing market-share...

Apple go ahead and create a new Star product for which you can demand prices that generate high margins, the apple watch is certainly not the star product you hoped it to be!

Economics is simple, but if you ignore economic realities you will lose!

Yep. I believe the days of $700 smartphones are coming to an end. There are decent $350 phones out there. Yes, they're Android phones, but millions of people don't care...and some prefer it. Maybe at $500, Apple can attract and retain customers.

I fear that 'star' product you speak of is no where in sight. The whole car thing is likely 3-5 years away and there's no guarantee it won't flop like the watch has. Tim Cook always says they have some great products in the pipeline. Over the next few years, we'll see what he's got. If it's just iterations of an iPhone or Apple watch, then I'll be concerned.

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
This is just another example of Tammy Cook screwing someone over so Apple can look like they did better than they really did when they announce their earnings.
[doublepost=1467734759][/doublepost]
All these people here complaining about something that all companies do, surely they'll put their money where their mouth is and stop buying Apple products because Apple is somehow particularly reprehensible in this matter.

Nope, they'll all be here next year on their new Kaby Lake MBP or iPhone 7 to complain about Apple wanting lower costs on their next products.

Seriously people, you want real change? Quit buying Apple products. I see the same people over and over again in these threads complaining about every single thing Apple does. As long as you keep buying their products, they're never going to change. Of course, they're not going to change their ways for just one person... but in the meantime, maybe you'll feel better buying products from a company that you can actually support?

I've really thought about buying the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. Perhaps Apple will finally catch up to it 10 years from now.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
This is just another example of Tammy Cook screwing someone over so Apple can look like they did better than they really did when they announce their earnings.
[doublepost=1467734759][/doublepost]

I've really thought about buying the Sony Xperia Z5 Premium. Perhaps Apple will finally catch up to it 10 years from now.

Good for you! Have fun with that.

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Man that's a brutal way to treat your vendors. Smaller orders, and smaller margins for them, but Apple don't want smaller margins themselves. I get they need to make money, but they seem to be doing just great at it. Maybe if you didn't drop 2 billion on a corporate office space you wouldn't need such intense large margins.

smacrumon

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2016
Every company in existence attempts to negotiates lower prices with their suppliers to maximize their margins. This is a common business practice, but somehow it's become news.

When you seek out the lowest airfares (or anything else for that matter) you're essentially doing the same thing... You're pressuring airlines to negotiate lower fuel prices and lower wages in order to maintain their margins.

Are you as hard on yourself for being "disgraceful" as you are on Apple? The difference being, Apple has a legal responsibility to maximize profits; you do it out of sheer greed... as do I... but I'm not pointing fingers.
No, not every company in existence does this. Well done straw man arguments. Airlines vs developing world factory conditions. Totally not comparable. Nice try though.
[doublepost=1467735529][/doublepost]
I presume you've already made your annual offer to your employer to cut your salary, correct? And called your landlord and told her to raise your rent further?
Completely and totally not comparable. Nice try though.

Reactions: Demo Kit

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
Apple has been guilty of that before with its NAND memory 'deal' with Samsung. They hoarded all the NAND chips available at such a low price that it made it nearly impossible for other companies to produce MP3 players either at all or at a price that made it worthwhile.

But hey.. who cares? As long as people get to show off that pretty Apple logo and look fashionable, that's all that matters... RIGHT?

How is it price fixing? Apple was expecting to make a boatload of iPods. In order to do so, it would need a boatload of NAND memory. Because Apple was buying in such large volume, Samsung gave Apple a volume discount. The fact that it became nearly uneconomical for competitors to produce MP3 players is simply the law of supply and demand.

To me, all it seems like is Apple planning ahead. Apple was planning to to make tons of iPods so in order to avoid running out of available components, Apple booked a huge order. Also, Apple wanted to get a good deal on it. Show me how it is price fixing.

Reactions: Jax44

AJ5790

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2016
Phoenix
How to make 100$ and more profit on your products! A How-to:

1. Demand price cuts from suppliers
  2. Don't change your product too drastically
  3. Just put a "Pro" behind your product name
  4. Demand 100$ more because it's now a "Pro" device
That's how you make 100$ and more profit on every product you sell.

Thank you.
You'd think Samsung would have figured it out by now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.