Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buckyballs

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
Surely in the interest of transparency they'd have told us about this on Friday as opposed to Sunday?

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
I had to laugh hard earlier today after reading the Ubuntu forum got hacked :D

And now my apple dev account might be compromised ... :p
(not so worried though as the leaked information was anyway already public elsewhere..)

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
this shows that apple is no longer reliable and it may affect stocks greatly.
There goes the public trust...Apple....

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
To: OKwon@Samsung.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2013 09:18:05 -0500
Subject: Oh-Hyun Kwon, I told you once...

and I'll tell you again, no!

See you at the next court date, and bring some Hoeddeok.

Cook

Tim Cook
Chief Executive Officer, Apple, Inc.
1 Infinite Loop
Cupertino, CA 95014
(408) 996-1010

Last edited:

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
this will hit news stations like a frenzy, android users are gonna gloat

Losers love to kick a winner when they take a hit. Love to see the IP traces and the router logs of this.

Knowing Apple's legal weight, I can see their attorneys make a national security claim and get PRISM logs of the trunk states during this attack.

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Oo wow, didn't see that coming.
by getting the email address, a hacker can brute force the password to access the developer section. But thankfully any changes in developer area takes time and email confirmation, so yeah hopefully not a big deal.

Brute force wouldn't work as Apple servers would block access to an account if there are too many failed login attempts.

Snowshiro

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2008
I'm not normally one to step up and defend Apple, but in this case, sadly this is how things are now.

Facebook has been hacked, Twitter has been hacked, Sony has been hacked, Zendesk has been hacked, Microsoft has been hacked, Ubuntu has been hacked, numerous government websites have been hacked etc. etc.

It's simply next to impossible these days to guarantee security in the millions of lines of code that constitute modern Operating Systems and the dozens of processes that run on them. Someone will find a vulnerability sooner or later and exploit it. The only thing you can do is make it as hard as possible for them, and store your data in as safe a manner as possible with strong encryption (and hashing for passwords).

This was going to happen sooner or later, and while it looks bad for Apple, it's a fact of life that there are people out there for whom hacking is their job and how they earn their money. The only way to secure your data from hacking, is not to put it on the internet. End of story.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
is this going to affect non developers on ota updates for future betas?

I don't understand your question. Non-Developers shouldn't have access to any iOS beta releases, and for all those running iOS 7 without a UDID with the proper provisioning, I would downgrade ASAP if I were you.

I suspect Apple will enforce their UDID rule with beta 4. I hope they find some way to keep "Devs" from selling their slots. It drives me nuts to see people who have no business running beta software complain about things not working, app compatibility, etc.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
Still waiting?

Have we doubled-down on security yet?

But really, this applies more than anything:

I'm not normally one to step up and defend Apple, but in this case, sadly this is how things are now.

Facebook has been hacked, Twitter has been hacked, Sony has been hacked, Zendesk has been hacked, Microsoft has been hacked, Ubuntu has been hacked, numerous government websites have been hacked etc. etc.

It's simply next to impossible these days to guarantee security in the millions of lines of code that constitute modern Operating Systems and the dozens of processes that run on them. Someone will find a vulnerability sooner or later and exploit it. The only thing you can do is make it as hard as possible for them, and store your data in as safe a manner as possible with strong encryption (and hashing for passwords).

This was going to happen sooner or later, and while it looks bad for Apple, it's a fact of life that there are people out there for whom hacking is their job and how they earn their money. The only way to secure your data from hacking, is not to put it on the internet. End of story.

Last edited:

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta

Very well said. It's just like physical break-ins...it's going to happen. Maybe not to you, maybe not to your stuff, but it will continue and no one can stop it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm not normally one to step up and defend Apple, but in this case, sadly this is how things are now

I always wondered something about this subject. A friend of my now-ex worked in marketing for McAfee. New Years Eve in Salt Lake City, we were chatting about work, and I asked something I always wondered:

How do hackers and software engineers make a living if they spend so much time hacking sites and/or creating viruses and worms?

I can't imagine it being a lucrative field or fairly easy, allowing one to maintain work to support their exploits. I jokingly suggested that virus companies are partly responsible; it creates a need for their product. Without these daily threats and hacks, their would be less need. He looked at me, drank his beer, and jokingly shrugged the question off. I still wonder.

SixSlinger

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Atlanta
You forgot the most important thing: the look of the icons. :D

Oh, how could I forget! :cool:

Half the crap reviews on the App Store are "crap app. Won't run on iOS 7. Waste of my bandwidth. Zero stars!!"

I guess I'm still dismayed at the stupidity of the masses.

sero323

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
I always wondered something about this subject. A friend of my now-ex worked in marketing for McAfee. New Years Eve in Salt Lake City, we were chatting about work, and I asked something I always wondered:

How do hackers and software engineers make a living if they spend so much time hacking sites and/or creating viruses and worms?

I can't imagine it being a lucrative field or fairly easy, allowing one to maintain work to support their exploits. I jokingly suggested that virus companies are partly responsible; it creates a need for their product. Without these daily threats and hacks, their would be less need. He looked at me, drank his beer, and jokingly shrugged the question off. I still wonder.

I've heard the hackers make their money when companies like McAfee need to find a way to get rid of the virus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.