Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kgtenacious

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I haven't received any emails from Apple, whether warning me about the hack or to change my password, developer.apple.com also still seems to be up.

try logging in, and if you haven't received the email about the take down, you're either not a registered apple developer or need to update your email address.

triton100

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2010
The moon
I wonder if samsung had anything to do with this...

... I read that business practices are extremely corrupt there, and other associated Asian tech companies. Who knows..

loon3y

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2011
... I read that business practices are extremely corrupt there, and other associated Asian tech companies. Who knows..

any business that deals with a lot of revenue will have corruption,

just look at the catholic church, i bet some cardinals are skimming off millions

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
They should have had their house in order years ago.

Apple becomes proactive about security long after the horse bolted. It's not good enough and quite frankly an embarrassment.

And when iOS 7 arrives, how many security holes will be present from day one? How many patches will it take to stitch up those security holes? Apple needs to get their **** together and stop being so lackadaisical about security.

----------

Whereas all US companies are ethical examples to the world, right?

I don't like the racist undertones of posts like this.

steve-p

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2008
Newbury, UK
try logging in, and if you haven't received the email about the take down, you're either not a registered apple developer or need to update your email address.
I haven't received an email either, and I am a registered developer, and my email address has not changed in years. So I'm not sure what's going on with the emails.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Perhaps not. Despite headline Apple only said it was attempted, not that they were. They are reacting as if it was to be safe. Which is appropriate

ha ha, Apple never confirm an actual event, you should know that. Every hardware release there are Wifi issues, which Apple ignores as happening and just "investigates" and behold a fix comes out.

Mind you every company would cover up the extend of a breach. No company comes public with attempted breaches, that just causes unnecessary doubt in security. When something like this happens, and its announced, its more then an attempt

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
They should have had their house in order years ago.

Apple becomes proactive about security long after the horse bolted. It's not good enough and quite frankly an embarrassment.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. This was explained long before: Apple's security did hold. This is like an intruder being able to break into my porch, but not into my house. Yes, I improve the security on the porch. No, nothing happened, because the porch security wasn't the only thing. The intruder didn't see any horse.

Well Tim, perhaps now's a good time to double-down on security?

You didn't actually bothering reading Apple's message? Apple had doubled down. All the important information was encrypted; it _wasn't_ stolen and if it was stolen, it couldn't have been read. Apple did and does exactly what any security expert would recommend: Have security in depth; multiple defences against any attack, and if one defence is breached, you improve on it.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Stupid, stupid, stupid. This was explained long before: Apple's security did hold. This is like an intruder being able to break into my porch, but not into my house. Yes, I improve the security on the porch. No, nothing happened, because the porch security wasn't the only thing. The intruder didn't see any horse.

You don't know the whole truth.

You don't do this level of 'maintenance' unless the intruder broke into your house, stole your favourite beer glass and took your wife's underwear.

Henry Carver

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
You don't know the whole truth.

You don't do this level of 'maintenance' unless the intruder broke into your house, stole your favourite beer glass and took your wife's underwear.

You don't know either, but for some reason all doom and gloom scenarios are taken almost as facts.

Seems like whatever Apple does it's bad and wrong anyway.

Macuser1628

macrumors member
May 2, 2010
It's an interesting story. I believe it because its kinda naive and sad.

----------

Perfect time for a phishing attack.

Indeed,
I'm a registered iOS developer, and I got a phishing letter 15 hours before Apple sent out their official letter. No one but Apple knows that I'm a registered iOS developer. I hope no developers falls for it. Clicking on "Click Here To Verfiy Your Account info" goes to <http://gamestation.gen.tr/123.php>.

If it wasn't for all the spelling errors I would've almost thought it was real. However I never trust emails from anyone saying click on this link because your account is frozen. So it looks like its just 2-bit thugs trying to get developers to give away their credit card info. Even though it doesn't say "developer" I find it highly suspect that this went out just 15 hours before Apple sent out their official email.

----------------------------- Begin phishing email ------------------------------------
Date: July 21, 2013, 3:02:34 AM EDT
To: <my Apple Id>
Subject: please verify the email address accociated with your Apple ID

Dear Client,

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours.
Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it.

The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved And Validate Your Account Information.
Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

This will help protect you in the future. The process does not take more than 3 minutes.

To proceed to confirm your account information please click on the link below and follow the instructions that will be required.

Click Here To Verfiy Your Account info

© 2013 Apple.com All rights reserved.

----------------------------- End of phishing email ------------------------------------

Last edited:

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.

Apple's statement says "we have not been able to rule out the possibility that some developers’ names, mailing addresses, and/or email addresses may have been accessed." - has there been a further clarification since?

If not, then Apple's security didn't hold.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Indeed,
I'm a registered iOS developer, and I got a phishing letter 15 hours before Apple sent out their official letter. No one but Apple knows that I'm a registered iOS developer. I hope no developers falls for it. Clicking on "Click Here To Verfiy Your Account info" goes to <http://gamestation.gen.tr/123.php>.

If it wasn't for all the spelling errors I would've almost thought it was real. However I never trust emails from anyone saying click on this link because your account is frozen. So it looks like its just 2-bit thugs trying to get developers to give away their credit card info. Even though it doesn't say "developer" I find it highly suspect that this went out just 15 hours before Apple sent out their official email.

----------------------------- Begin phishing email ------------------------------------
Date: July 21, 2013, 3:02:34 AM EDT
To: <my Apple Id>
Subject: please verify the email address accociated with your Apple ID

Dear Client,

This is an automatic message by the system to let you know that you have to confirm your account information within 48 hours.
Your account has been frozen temporarily in order to protect it.

The account will continue to be frozen until it is approved And Validate Your Account Information.
Once you have updated your account records, your information will be confirmed and your account will start to work as normal once again.

This will help protect you in the future. The process does not take more than 3 minutes.

To proceed to confirm your account information please click on the link below and follow the instructions that will be required.

Click Here To Verfiy Your Account info

© 2013 Apple.com All rights reserved.

----------------------------- End of phishing email ------------------------------------

Yep. I assume developers will get phished for a while, and then whoever did this attack will sell the email addresses to some spam group. They don't care about your developer account, they just want your email address and the knowledge you have an account with a particular company or organization. Hopefully developers are all smart enough to see this coming a mile away and not click on any links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.