Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
It's interesting to see no major redesign happens, *until* its too late.

Isn't that usually how it works.. ??

damage already done...

maybe Apple should have done a re-design sooner, since the only reason for one would be if they thought their current one was in-secure...

Well.. It was... Maybe Apple should have do e it sooner

Last edited:

Star Brood

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2012
Berlin, Germany
Unlike Ubisoft, who was the last company I read about being hacked, at least Apple is confessing that their security was flawed and are letting us know they are taking steps to prevent it from happening in the future. Meanwhile, somewhere out in the wild some idiot has the password to my luggage.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
But I love objective journalism and critical thinking even more.

I'm not sure I've ever seen objective journalism - truly objective - as everyone (hopefully) has an opinion and it's difficult (if not impossible) to keep that opinion out. That said, totally agree on critical thinking! Let's see more of it.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
It's interesting to see no major redesign happens, *until* its too late.

Isn't that usually how it works.. ??

damage already done...

Or, it could be, like a roof that begins to leak, you can't see the hole until the water starts dripping through. Isn't that when you know you need to fix the roof.

stanton

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
Philly
Not actually a hacker per say.

News out this was done by a white hat security person, who alerted Apple to the vulnerability. Link
So, I would probably change your password anyways, but at least you won't get spammed on your developer account address.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Stupid, stupid, stupid. This was explained long before: Apple's security did hold. This is like an intruder being able to break into my porch, but not into my house. Yes, I improve the security on the porch. No, nothing happened, because the porch security wasn't the only thing. The intruder didn't see any horse.

Nice thought, but apparently he was able to pull down 100,000+ accounts without trying hard... and Apple had no idea (or did nothing about it) until he wrote them about doing so.

And if he did it, who knows how many others did before him.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Oh, how could I forget! :cool:

Half the crap reviews on the App Store are "crap app. Won't run on iOS 7. Waste of my bandwidth. Zero stars!!"

I guess I'm still dismayed at the stupidity of the masses.

If the majority of the masses were actually intellectually capable of correctly using the words "bandwidth" and "compatibility", and downloading beta OSes, I would be thrilled to tears. Truly.

----------

It doesn't really make any difference. Both are currently unbreakable. 128 bit is considered unsafe for data that you want to keep safe for the next 50 years (like info about spy information that would be damaging if it was decrypted 50 years from now); but today the only way is to somehow get around the encryption.

My understanding is that you cannot brute-force 128-bit or greater encryption (40-bit would be doable, I suppose), the only way to get through is exploits in the algorithms.

Henry Carver

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2013
Hacker, researcher, whatever ... he's still a moron. No one conducts reaserch like that and then posts videos with retarded music on youtube to "explain" things.

kkillam

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2011
is this going to affect non developers on ota updates for future betas?

All beta accounts are connected to a developer account. The company you bought access through owns the dev account, you just bought access to it. So if there is a problem with beta 4 for the developers, then yes, you will have a problem as well.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Orly........

http://www.saurik.com/id/17

If you want to create drama, at least check the facts!

Uh, so grandma will wade through code-level detail to find the part at the bottom about how she needs to install Saurik's tools then install the patch?

Or, more likely, grandma will receive a text message saying, "Hey click here for a new cookie recipe", she does, and her phone becomes a zombie.

Yeah, it's TOTALLY fixed. My bad.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
ha ha, Apple never confirm an actual event, you should know that. Every hardware release there are Wifi issues, which Apple ignores as happening and just "investigates" and behold a fix comes out.

Aside from having nothing to do with this issue, all hardware will have possible issues. Particularly when there is other, possibly non Apple, hardware in the mix

Mind you every company would cover up the extend of a breach. No company comes public with attempted breaches, that just causes unnecessary doubt in security. When something like this happens, and its announced, its more then an attempt

Never said otherwise. Just that the headlines are saying Apple confirmed they were broken into and they never said such a thing. The headlines were FUD'd up to get more hits.

----------

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q000_EOWy80

Apple attacked by a simple SQL injection !!! :cool: inserting server code to return SQL data in strings.l

we did that in the bachelor :)

Yep. As then likely turned around and tried to phish developers to get their passwords.

Renzatic

Suspended
Or, it could be, like a roof that begins to leak, you can't see the hole until the water starts dripping through. Isn't that when you know you need to fix the roof.

That sounds like a good point, until you realize those holes in the roof could be exploited by someone to get at your credit card number. I doubt anyone would be so understanding about security issues when it leads to some random hacker pulling money out of their bank account to hire a bunch of cross eyed Taiwanese prostitutes so they can dig a bunch of inground swimming pools out in the suburbs.

When it comes to situations like that, good security isn't waiting for it to rain so you know where the problems lie. It's figuring out a way to find the holes before it starts getting cloudy.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Inspired by the pharmaceutical industry.

Ha! No ****. As a diabetic since 12, in excellent health I may ad :), the amount of money made off my life is in the millions; insulin, test strips, glucose blood monitors, syringes, labs - that **** ain't cheap, without insurance I'd be screwed.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Let alone the beta4, I'm starting to get really annoyed.

It's been nearly a week now, I need to create some profiles for Push and create new App-ID's ...

It really stops being "interesting to chat about". It's really starting to make me angry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.