Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
I doubt that the scum that vote positive are even worth the keystrokes we make for them. :(

Is there any way to have it disabled on a single post?

As noted by another poster, this is probably just a misinterpretation of the nature of what "positive" means in this type of thread.

Of course, RIP for ANYONE of good character dying and condolenses for his family. However, I of course did not know him in any way, and I feel for the other 100,000 that probably dies as well of the last day all over the world just as much, which admittedy is very little just due to lack of proximity to them. I can't place any over-importance on this one in particular individual, as we often do for people JUST because they are in the news.

RIP just the same though. :(

Tony

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
397m

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
I've chosen not to vote on this story, simply because you cannot vote on the value of a human life.

I'll happily give my condolences, but I won't vote ... even though I know it's a negative story due to the tragic circumstances surrounding it.

Pachang

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2009
You have confused my distaste with "emo rage". Would you like me to kick my cat in anger? :confused:

(Time to unsubscribe from the thread, last post from me in this one.)

I didn't say you were emo sir. Maybe if you calmed down a little my post would no longer apply to you.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
It seems the forums are already recovering, the fights are reaching boiling point...

zackkitzmiller

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2007
People that are screaming about the positive votes need to relax.

I've always felt that the positive button (and the facebook 'like' button) were to represent that the story was news worthy. News isn't always good, but lots of the time it needs to be reported.

It allows the MacRumors editors to know if they should post similar stories in the future, not that the news itself is positive.

MrCheeto

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2008
^Which according to George Carlin is just past 60mph.

I'ma miss ya, George...

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Interesting. I was wondering what kind of scum would mark this story negative, but then I read the comments and see the prevailing view is precisely the opposite.

To me a story is positive if it belongs on MacRumors. If it's not a story that belongs here, it's a negative.

RIP Mr. York.

GenesisST

macrumors 68000
Jan 23, 2006
Where I live
I've chosen not to vote on this story, simply because you cannot vote on the value of a human life.

I'll happily give my condolences, but I won't vote ... even though I know it's a negative story due to the tragic circumstances surrounding it.

Having lost both parents at the ages of 25 and 33, I must concur.

And most of the outraged people would probably click positive on a story announcing Steve Ballmer's death...

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
My prayers and thoughts go to him, his family, friends and all those who may have been affected by this loss.
I can only hope his suffering and that of his families was minimal.

This Apple's for you Mr. York :apple:

OtisPJF

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2010
So that's what it takes to dislodge the iPad from the main page. I wonder how quickly it will be ushered back to the front.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Very tasteful and appropriate of Apple to change their home screen to honor this man. People mean more than business and money.

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Why would anyone rate this news article positive? That's horrible. :(

I didn't know this man, but I pray for his family as they deal with his passing.

OS X Dude

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
UK
:(

I read the story that he was hospitalised when I was checking this site over my breakfast... and now I come on again and read he died :(

All the best to his family.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Can we please disable positive/neagive ratinngs for posts like this? The ranking, and the subsequent reaction to them, seems to sidetrack the discussion.

That being said, R.I.P. Well done on this earth, I pray you are in a better place devoid of pain, suffering, and Windows Vista.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.