Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
I know, I know

sjpetry said:
Talk about being brainwashed. :rolleyes:

I know. It's what happens when a co-dependent person leaves his cheating ex and has to find a new identity. :cool:

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Graphics Converter really chopped the quality of this screen shot, but it shows
a full measure 8"X11" page open and explains why I went for the 24" display.

macrumorswebdesktop9xf.jpg

In real life these images are crystal clear.

The Dell 24" 2405FPW specs are also much improved over the 20" 2005FPW

The Apple 20" is by far a better display than the Dell 20" IMHO,
but the small price difference up to the quality of the Dell 24" made it my
best option.
Coming up from a 17" Sony Multiscan 200ES CRT
I am SO spoiled now having all this room to play with.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
I see nothing wrong with jsalzer having criteria in his purchases beyond quality over price and I definitely don't think he's stupid or brainwashed.

Assuming the displays are equal, if I had the need for an Apple Cinema Display and I wasn't on a tight budget, I'd get the ACD because:

1) Its from a brand I trust (as opposed to Dell who I have no reason to trust.)
2) If I needed an ACD, it would be because I owned a PowerMac (or any variant of Apple computers that requires or could use a display) and an ACD would match my computer a lot better than the Dell display.
3) It is more aesthetically appealing. (My TV is silver. My DVD player, satellite TV box, VCR, and stereo are black. I wish ALL my entertainment devices were silver! If I had plenty of cash to throw around, I'd buy all new devices to match my more aesthetically appealing TV.)
4) If I bought an ACD while purchasing a PowerMac, it would be covered under AppleCare if I chose to get AppleCare.
5) Owning an Apple branded product would make me happier than owning a Dell branded product.
6) I would be contributing to Apple's financial success. For those of you who think this is stupid, do you think a boycott is equally stupid? Its the same principle in reverse. You support the companies you like and you boycott the ones you don't like. This is important because it means that a) Apple will continued to grow, b) Apple R&D will continue to be adequately funded, c) Apple employees will have a job and food on the table for their family as opposed to Dell enjoying these benefits.

I try to support companies I like by purchasing from them so that they can serve me in the future with new products that fulfill my needs. But sometimes this isn't possible because they may charge too much and I'm forced to buy more frugally. And this happens more often than not because I'm not loaded with cash and I have to budget my expenses. But not everybody is like me and some make more than enough cash to cover the necessities such as food and shelter and retirement. So what should they do with that extra cash? Horde it all or spend it on things that make them happy?

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
I imagine it can be attributed to the concept of 'economies of scale.'

Dell is able to move many more units than Apple is. And the Dell design is much cheaper, which on a large scale gives them even more advantage.

The Aluminum Base is rock solid. The quality and durability far exceeds Dells use of plastic. And even the plastic on an Apple display is better.

Quality of product in a broad but important consideration.

I would go Dell for a second monitor though.

Panoctopi

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2005
Maedus said:
I see nothing wrong with jsalzer having criteria in his purchases beyond quality over price and I definitely don't think he's stupid or brainwashed.

Assuming the displays are equal, if I had the need for an Apple Cinema Display and I wasn't on a tight budget, I'd get the ACD because:

2) If I needed an ACD, it would be because I owned a PowerMac (or any variant of Apple computers that requires or could use a display) and an ACD would match my computer a lot better than the Dell display.
3) It is more aesthetically appealing. (My TV is silver. My DVD player, satellite TV box, VCR, and stereo are black. I wish ALL my entertainment devices were silver! If I had plenty of cash to throw around, I'd buy all new devices to match my more aesthetically appealing TV.)
4) If I bought an ACD while purchasing a PowerMac, it would be covered under AppleCare if I chose to get AppleCare.
5) Owning an Apple branded product would make me happier than owning a Dell branded product.
6) I would be contributing to Apple's financial success. For those of you who think this is stupid, do you think a boycott is equally stupid? Its the same principle in reverse. You support the companies you like and you boycott the ones you don't like. This is important because it means that a) Apple will continued to grow, b) Apple R&D will continue to be adequately funded, c) Apple employees will have a job and food on the table for their family as opposed to Dell enjoying these benefits.

I try to support companies I like by purchasing from them so that they can serve me in the future with new products that fulfill my needs. But sometimes this isn't possible because they may charge too much and I'm forced to buy more frugally. And this happens more often than not because I'm not loaded with cash and I have to budget my expenses. But not everybody is like me and some make more than enough cash to cover the necessities such as food and shelter and retirement. So what should they do with that extra cash? Horde it all or spend it on things that make them happy?

Agree 100%... in capitalism the most important vote is the one you cast with your wallet. i understand if not everyone has the means to approach circumstances from that perspective everytime, that includes me, but when i can i usually do, i.e, i avoid spending money in any kind of large retail franchises.

So definitely re-examine your definition of what being stupid or brainwashed is, perhaps you'll find some irony in it...

Sedulous

macrumors 68030
Dec 10, 2002
jsalzer said:
Dell and Apple have to do the same R&D to put out a monitor.

Microsoft and Apple have to do the same R&D to put out an OS.

Having a smaller market share doesn't mean you pay less for these things. How do you compensate? A larger markup.

Near as I'm concerned, we should all feel honored to contribute that extra markup to Apple's R&D!

(I also enjoy paying state taxes. Heck, I like my paved roads and take full advantage of them. Worth every penny! Think how much it would cost me to build my own. Or to have to use gravel roads. Or, the equivalent, to use a Wintel machine.)

Dell doesn't spend much on OS development... you can be certain of that. The Apple display does indeed have a simpler interface, a firewire & USB hub, and as someone pointed out, better color fidelity.

snkTab

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
It also branding.

You can get jeans at Kmart for $10 bucks and jeans at whatever preppy store for >$100. I'm sure they both perform the same with the "designer" jeans looking a bit better, but in reality you are buying a name.

Maxiseller

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2005
Little grey, chilly island.
How much do you really want the DELL logo on the front?

It aint pretty is it?

In my opinion, we often spend so much money purchasing the computer, but we ignore the one thing that is absolutly the most important thing: our eyes. How can you quibble over a mere $150 when in essence what you're doing is augmenting the computer product by a display that is worthy of your time.

You're going to be sitting at this thing for hours on end. Get the Apple display - it's aesthetically pleasing, beautifully desgned, and a damn good display to boot. You'll only regret it when you have a spare $200 thinking "Hmmm, the DELL really isn't pretty is it"

But this is just my opinion. I'm a perfectionist, and if I buy an Apple computer, I buy into the name, design and the fact that it earns me my bread and butter. Some may say I'm injecting too much into a company brand, but I chose Apple as it's the best for my needs. I could never sit a powermac next to a dell display!! It's just not right (looks for sledgehammer)

rugonnaeatthat

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I'd buy the Apple monitor - i know I know I'm a fashion victim, but I really don't like black plastic. I might change my mind as the $ gap widens and the Inch's increase. That said, Apple need to earn such loyalty... maybe they could make an ultra thin monitor for example, or another innovation which would loosen our wallets a little quicker. As far as I can tell the Dell is about as thin and imposing as the Apple.

I think everyone should read the Dell vs Apple 20in article that was doing the rounds last week especially if you are going to buy one in the near future. A large issue the article raises is that Dell has 3yrs warranty whilst Apple only has 1yr.

Apple is a great company but no infallible, this might well be the kick up the butt they need to innovate their monitors further - I can't think of anything they could do that wouldn't be superfluous... but I know this thread wouldn't be here if Apples monitor floated on magnetic force or had absolutely no frame...

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Apple's already earned my loyalty as far as displays go. If, for some reason, I have a compelling reason not to buy from Apple, Formac is my second choice.

When it comes to computers, I like things to match. Unfortunately, that isn't true of my Windows PC (the monitor is beige, but everything else is black); it is true of my iMac.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
Maedus said:

that's an excellent post. full of valid points.

at thge end of the day, we all work hard so we can have nice things. so we can provide our families with nice things. some people have families to support, so an extra $200 for a similar thing is out of the question. other people dont (like me). so, when it comes to buying the display, i will get the apple one.

inside, we all want to get the apple one. whether we have the financial means to spare that $200 extra for a similar product is an entirely different question.

oriol

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2005
right behind ya!
why get a Apple screen.?
-why ride in a BMW? if u can get a Civic that does the same job.
-i prefer to see on my parking lot a BMW. why? STYLE.
just get what u want if u just need a ride get a civic, if u want a car get a BMW.

my two cents

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
asif786 said:
so an extra $200 for a similar thing is out of the question. other people dont (like me). so, when it comes to buying the display, i will get the apple one.

inside, we all want to get the apple one. whether we have the financial means to spare that $200 extra for a similar product is an entirely different question.
It's a ~$400 difference now. Don't know about you, but I'd rather buy 2 2005FPWs (might have to wait till the deal's run again for the 2nd one) and run multimon than go w/a single ACD 20.

FWIW, I recently ordered a 2001FP for myself at ~$450 before tax (2005FPW wasn't this cheap back then) for the future Power Mac I'm going to get.

Ryon

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2005
oriol said:
why get a Apple screen.?
just get what u want if u just need a ride get a civic, if u want a car get a BMW.

my two cents

Not quite. The BMW has a more powerful engine and many more features than the Civic. The Apple has the same LCD panel and fewer features than the Dell. The ONLY thing it has going for it is looks and brand.

Edit: Of course, there is a much greater difference in price between the BMW/Civic.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
oriol said:
why get a Apple screen.?

my two cents

A Civic and BMW perform differently. An Apple LCD and Dell LCD don't perform much differently. Your point is so invalid...I....I just don't know how to reply.

If a car identical to a BMW 3-Series were to be released and priced the same as a Civic, and yet didn't have the BMW badge and had a Hyundai badge on it instead (no offense Hyundai owners....I own a Hyundai as well), I'd buy the Hyundai rather than the BMW, especially if it meant I paid 40% less after rebates. This is especially true if the Hyundai just happen to not only offer identical performance, but offered more standard options and a long warranty, much like the Dell offers more extras + a 3 year warranty instead of 1 year like Apple does.

I just think its vain if you're at the point where your monitor has to match the appearance of your computer. Something like that isn't important. I don't even know the colour of my television, but I'm sure it doesn't match my room. :eek: Most TVs don't match your room unless you decorate everything in black, white, or grey, and you don't care, do you?

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
_bnkr612 said:
Hey, it's our money. Dell's not fun. Apple is.

This topic should end.

Well put. It's our money. I can't understand how people can get upset over what other people want to use and buy. And I find it somewhat offensive that if somebody doesn't agree with the same purchasing philosophy as another, they must be a sheep and brainwashed to think that way. It reminds me of an article I read about why Apple still uses a one button mouse. It was a well thought out and informative article and the first few comments to it were intelligent and complimentary towards what the purpose of the article was. And then the comments turned into a battle between one button mice vs. multi-button mice. To recap the comments in a nutshell, the one button side seemed to argue that a one button mouse serves a purpose (forces software UIs to be more thought out), people do like them, those who can't stand a one button mouse probably wouldn't be happy with any mouse offered as standard. The multi-button mouse party seemed to argue that a one button mouse is unusable and then basically resorted to attacks such as "apple's brainwashing you" and "only stupid people use one button mice." I couldn't believe how angry these people got, especially people who were angry that somebody would have the :eek: audacity to use a one button mouse and like it!

I personally enjoy my one button mouse but I know everybody doesn't and I think everybody shouldn't be confined to using a one button mouse and I have no problem when people ditch their apple mouse for a logitech or even a microsoft mouse. I like the mouse that comes with their computers default because it is a high quality mouse and it ensures programmers have to make their programs simple enough to be usable on a one button mouse. To bring this back to point, I think it is wrong for people to want to force people like me, who are happy with a one button mouse, into using what they want. And I hate it when a person belittles somebody else and calls them brainwashed or sheep because their reasons for something doesn't agree with their own. That only goes to show how close minded you are that you cannot accept what other people like and choose to buy.

This is just the same here. Just because a person has other criteria beyond price and quality in deciding their purchases doesn't make them smarter or dumber. For those who buy the Dell monitor over the Apple monitor, good for you. You found a product that serves your needs and makes you happy. For those who buy the Apple monitor over Dell monitor, good for you too, because you also found a product that serves your needs and makes you happy.

For those who think that just because you prefer an Apple product over a Dell product you must be sheep or brainwashed; take a look in the mirror. Because you sound just like brainwashed sheep to me, but worse, because at least the so called "sheep" weren't insulting other members in this thread but sharing legitimate reasons why they choose to purchase an Apple monitor. They did not demean others opinions in giving their own.

I'd be especially careful of calling others apple sheep because of their opinions because I know some other people in this thread have just been called the same for expressing their opinions in other threads, such as Abstract who voiced his opinion in another thread that "A PB 867MHz G4 will probably feel like a 2.4 - 2.6 GHz P4. However, when it comes to the hardcore intensive stuff, the P4 will be faster at the processing" and got responses that that comment was "fanboyism at its finest."

I'm sorry to rant, but I'm getting tired that people are being demeaned over their opinions or that they are Apple fanboys and sheep if they :eek: like Apple products on a forum about Apple.

Diatribe

macrumors 601
Jan 8, 2004
Back in the motherland
Maedus said:
...such as Abstract...
Not to say any names... :D

Nice posts, the two of yours. Not very common these days.
I just think that we shouldn't accept every price that Apple serves us and I definitely think that the premium Apple wanted for the displays before the price drop was insane. I do support Apple whenever I can but you have to set limits and being a fan of company or a product should never keep one from being critical. Support is good, blindly following is bad.

Maedus

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2004
Indiana
Diatribe said:
Not to say any names... :D

Nice posts, the two of yours. Not very common these days.
I just think that we shouldn't accept every price that Apple serves us and I definitely think that the premium Apple wanted for the displays before the price drop was insane. I do support Apple whenever I can but you have to set limits and being a fan of company or a product should never keep one from being critical. Support is good, blindly following is bad.

I hope I did not offend Abstract and if I did, I'm sorry, Abstract. I only singled him out because I was reading another thread he posted in and thinking "Wow, this guy is intelligent and adding to the thread and yet he's being attacked as a fanboy simply because people didn't understand what he was saying and they didn't agree with him." I just wish were weren't so critical of each other over if we're being fanboys or not and we instead focused on trading ideas and contribute to everybody's overall knowledge.

For the second part, I agree. Truth be told, I probably wouldn't buy an Apple monitor because I can't justify the costs, personally. I just don't have that kind of cash to throw around. But I think it's great that some people can afford to buy an Apple branded monitor and do.

And nobody is perfect because even now, I can think of how stupid I thought people who bought all Tommy Hilfiger clothes that I think are way overpriced. I pretty sure I insulted and made fun of them over it. I didn't understand why they wanted to own it at the time, but now I realize that having Tommy Hilfiger clothes made them happy and hey, if spending an extra 10 - 20 bucks on a shirt can make you happier or make you feel more confident about yourself, god forbid I take that away from them. Upon reflecting, I feel bad about making fun of somebody because they chose to wear something that made them feel confident in public and happy. I wish I could apologize for what I did now, but I doubt I'll ever see the person I'm thinking of again so it's too late now. Maybe if somebody would have pointed out how stupid I was at the time instead of agreeing or laughing with me, I wouldn't have been so childish and closed minded at the time. But we can't change the past. What we can do is learn from it and try to change the future.

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
dejo said:
They have different backlights, a major component (AnandTech: The 20" LCD Shootout: Dell versus Apple). As for the fewer features, what features are you referring to? For example, the ACD comes with two FireWire 400 ports but the Dell has none.
The Dell has composite, s-video and analog s-video in. The ACD doesn't. The Dell lets your rotate the display 90 degrees to run it in portait. You can't do that on the ACD. The Dell has more controls on its front panel than the ACD does on its side panel. The Dell lets you do PIP and PBP. You can't on the ACD. The Dell lets you unscale the signal. The ACD does not. Oh yes, the warranty on the Dell is 3 years vs 1.

See quote below:
"Another critical note for gamers interested in these displays is the aspect ratio. 1680x1050 is not a very common aspect ratio (16:10). We can watch unscaled 720p inside a window on either display, or scaled 720p with black bars across the bottom of our screen, but it isn't native. Very few games support 1680x1050 as a resolution (with the exception Half Life 2 and Far Cry), so no matter what you play, you will be playing on a scaled signal. Scaled signals degrade play quality as one pixel becomes stretched or compressed to account for the screen size. Dell has an ace up their sleeve with the ability to unscale the signal and have it display as it truly should in native form in the center of the screen (the Dell 2001FP also did this). Apple's Cinema display does not have the circuitry to do this. Several games support a 1600x900 resolution, which on the Dell 2005FPW, only leaves a few pixels along each side uncropped."

FYI, the Dell's manual is at http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/2005FPW/English/index.htm.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
cwerdna said:
The Dell has composite, s-video and analog s-video in. The ACD doesn't. The Dell lets your rotate the display 90 degrees to run it in portait. You can't do that on the ACD. The Dell has more controls on its front panel than the ACD does on its side panel. The Dell lets you do PIP and PBP. You can't on the ACD. The Dell lets you unscale the signal. The ACD does not. Oh yes, the warranty on the Dell is 3 years vs 1.

The Dell does seem the stand out.

I really wonder whats next in terms of performance and price when the next rev of the 20" and 24" come out...wonder when that will be

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.