Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Dunno, which part of update manager are you having difficulty with?

I don't recall Mozilla spamming me with Firefox.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
All you PC lovers out there, you can argue all you want about what's fair or not regarding Apple's tactics but fact of the matter is this situation is not up for argument because it's already here and Apple's not going to take it away so just accept it.:p

At the end of the day Apple is a business and not your buddy that needs to play nicey to make their friends like them better.

Couldn't agree with you less... I always admired apple's way to do business and expand their market share. That is by selling excellent products and using state of the art marketing.

Apple is now resorting to techniques which I though they were never going to use. If Apple would want all PC users to have Safari, they should convince them by excellent and aggressive marketing and not by this kind of distribution.

Your business remark is just plain nonsense. It is exactly this kind of attitude that is costing many companies their customers. By playing nicely you get customers, by playing bad, you lose them..

No, it lies. It's disguised as an update, which it isn't.

And there's no lack of distinction either. I don't like spam. I don't like malware. I don't like pop-ups. In this case, I hope the Safari checkbox works as permanent opt-out button. Otherwise, it would even be illegal in some countries.

Agreed, it would be nice to see an option that enables you to decline so that it doesn't show up again. It would be great if it would save the advertised programs, so you could install it later if you change your mind. Having this option would be good for OS X too.

More things I don't like:
- Programs that install daemon processes without my consent and with no reason whatsoever. Like that iTunes crap.
- Programs that install other programs even though they are not necessary. Like that iTunes crap (QuickTime player).
- Bloated software. Like that iTunes crap.
- Programs whose GUI doesn't give a fck about the host system they're running on. Like the worst PC ports. And ALL Apple software for Windows.
- Unsuitable font smoothing algorithms. As in Safari for Windows.
- Programs with window redrawing issues. Like Safari for Windows.
- Fanboys

I agree with some of your points, but to be honest Apple doesn't have to care what the windows GUI looks like. Lots of native windows apps don't do that either.

I don't remember Itunes as bloated (apart from installiong quicktime, which I also hated in my PC days). Have you ever tried Office 2007 on Windows or Office 2008 on the mac?

You obviously know nothing about business if you think successful business is about playing fair.

spoken like a true Enron executive... If other's don't play fair, then why should we?? :mad:

It is exactly this attitude by companies that is causing people jobs, nerves, money etc.. You can be extremely succesful by playing fair, environmentally aware etc. It might take a bit longer, but will be more rewarding in the end.

Apple is doing very well in this respect by increasing biodegredable production. I'm convinced they would be able to increase the Safari footprint in the Windows market by aggressive marketing as is the case with their hardware.

I know a lot about business, and I also know that it is often not played fair, but you don't have to resort to being dishonest to rise to the top.

cristianbica

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2008
updates

apple is pushing "updates" for all their software ... I've installed Airport Admin Utility and I don't have Itunes/Quicktime/Safari on my parallels windows and when I ran Software update on windows I am promted to "update" Itunes / Quicktime / Safari

286y9ar.png

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
merge posts: how did he do that?

Hey, sorry if this is off-topic, but I just noticed that my posts have been merged, which is great. So, thanks to Wildcowboy..:)

Is there a way to do this myself, because I looked for the option but couldn't find it.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter

Tosser

macrumors 68030
Jan 15, 2008
Hey, sorry if this is off-topic, but I just noticed that my posts have been merged, which is great. So, thanks to Wildcowboy..:)

Is there a way to do this myself, because I looked for the option but couldn't find it.

Thanks and best regards,
Peter

If you look at the bottom left of my post, you will see the "quote" button. But if you look at your own posts, it will instead say "edit". Press that, and you can add/edit to your heart's content.

dejo

Moderator emeritus
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Or better yet, take advantage of the
multiquote_off.gif
icon next to the
quote.gif
button. Click it for every post you want to include, except the last, and then click the Quote button for that one. Ta-da! Multi-quote happiness! :)

carfreak12321

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Japan
Some people are referring this update on windows as spam.. but it really isn't apple is giving you a choice to download the software or not. They are just doing this to make it easier and more convenient for the people who want the download. so i am happy that apple made it available this easily.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
Well, this update asked me when they first launched it (a week ago?) and now I was in the middle of playing WoW when it minimized and it was on the screen again. Now it's getting annoying. It's always going to be there, isn't it?

(This was on my Windows PC)

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
You want to know something funny.
According to the Safari license file, it is illegal to install Safari for Windows on anything other than an Apple labeled computer. :D

2. Permitted License Uses and Restrictions.
A. This License allows you to install and use one copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-labeled computer at a time.
Obviously a slip up from their legal department, but still funny.

BongoBanger

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Some people are referring this update on windows as spam.. but it really isn't apple is giving you a choice to download the software or not. They are just doing this to make it easier and more convenient for the people who want the download. so i am happy that apple made it available this easily.

Seriously though?

em500

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2005
Unfortunately installing iTunes/Quicktime/Safari on a Windoze box requires Administrator rights. boo hiss.
That rules out all those millions of locked down corporate PCs, including this one.

yes. I know, security, but really....

(BTW, FF doesn't require admin access.)
It has nothing to do with security and everything with lousy programming. As you noted, Firefox (and also Opera) will install fine without admin rights. They'll complain because they can't put shortcuts in the "All Users" group, but will work fine. Safari OTOH puts dozens of registry keys in the Local Machine hive, which is the system-wide part of the registry, so it really doesn't work without admin access.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.