Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA
Yeah, and why my local Best Buy already has three open box units for sale a week after launch. That's some pretty GD fast buyers remorse when you figure they had between 14-45 days to return it depending on their customer rewards level.
Cool, better deal for someone who wants one!

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
New PC ad...

Guy sets down his Windows Portable and plugs something in and begins working.

A different guy sets down a MacBook Pro, gets out an adapter and plugs it in, gets out another adapter and plugs it into the first adapter, gets out a 3rd adapter and plugs it into the 2nd adapter, gets out his device and plugs it into the last adapter.

Camera pans out, and behold the inelegant mess around the Mac.

Meanwhile, the PC user is already done with his task and walking away. The Mac user having only just gotten his machine started up.

MacBook Pro, thin and light because you need the extra space in your bag (for all the adapters).

This really is going to be the easiest Mac ever for PC makers to compete against.

How do you figure? You said the PC guy plugs something in. But the Mac guy plugs in 4 things? That's ridiculous. Let's say the thing is a hard drive. The PC guy gets out his portable drive, plugs in the USB-A to micro-USB cable, then plugs that into is his drive, or vice verse. The Mac guy gets out his USB-C to USB-C cable, attaches the Thunderbolt 3 drive, and transfers the file in half the time, leaving the PC guy in the dust waiting.

There are scenarios where the PC has the advantage -- the removal of the SD card reader for instance. But not with the adapters.

Again, where is this use case that's going to bog down the average Mac user on the road that doesn't also affect the PC user?

You predicate your nightmare scenarios on the fact that someone buying a new MBP isn't going to upgrade their peripherals. Using the proper peripherals eliminates the need for adapters, allowing the customer to enjoy all the benefits of carrying a smaller, lighter MBP.

El Burro

Suspended
Sep 7, 2009
Looks like this is an implicit admission by Tim Cook & Co. that they messed up. But if you notice, they said they'll lower prices until the end of the year i.e. end of December 2016. So it's not permanent. What they're trying to basically do is minimize bad press, and then hope that in a few months you all forget. They know they botched things up big time with all the bad press (which is unprecedented than ever before), and are showing quite clearly how out of touch Tim Cook, and fellow execs are out of touch. They are not interested in innovation, or about the customer's needs any longer, they're only interested in maximizing profits just like how Jobs predicted. Jobs probably anticipated this happening so he probably reasoned might as well get Tim Cook to eke out enough profit until the next revolution happens in another decade.

Regardless, I'm not buying this new laptop. The keyboard is too shallow, the price too high, and the specs not good enough. I'm just going to use a Hackintosh, and use ElementaryOS (Mac Clone for Linux) on a nice Chromebook that will cost me $200. Have had every Apple iBook, or Macbook since 2005, and this is the first one I will not be getting.

They dropped the price of dongles $10. Get real!!!!

See this is why we can't have anything nice.

Wow $10 – for a cable that cost them 10 cents to make and should have been included in the laptop's box in the first place. You can't even attach a new iPhone to the laptop b/c no connectors work. How disorganized do they have to be to screw up that badly?

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Sorry, but if your not using wireless by now, i have no sympathy for you. DO you also wash your dishes by hand instead of using a device called a dishwasher?? LOL :p
No, but he may well push several gigabytes of data in the form of large uncompressed files over a secured wired network for work like I do, something that makes even the latest AC standard choke and drop packets like a drunk waitress with an inner ear infection and crap high heels. Are YOU capable of understanding that some professionals use their Pro designated laptops for something heavier than Netflix and email?

xmonkey

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2016
CA

Duane Martin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, and why my local Best Buy already has three open box units for sale a week after launch. That's some pretty GD fast buyers remorse when you figure they had between 14-45 days to return it depending on their customer rewards level.
Uh, you do know the 2016 MBP hasn't shipped yet so your local Best Buy doesn't actually have three open box units for sale yet, right? Unless they are really well connected. Hmmmm....

Reactions: twanj

iShater

macrumors 604
Aug 13, 2002
Chicagoland
And shipping has slipped to 1-3 months on some critical dongles...

It just works! In the Spring! Merry Christmas!

belkin.jpg
But it is free shipping :p

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-C.
Right, because you wouldn't complain twice as much if all those lightning devices you own now require a dongle too. Apple might be greedy but they're not stupid.

zack793

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
Apple should really include some of these in the box. It would definitely make the transition less jarring.

I'd rather them lower the price of the things than include one. They can't anticipate which ones users need. I'll probably need a few different kinds, so the price drop is appreciated.

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-C.
I have collected so many lightning cables already don't give them any ideas!

Reactions: dysamoria

bluespark

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2009
Chicago

Yes, plenty of people do. For those of us to want to buy nice (expensive) wired headphones, we're in limbo right now since there is no assurance Lightning is actually the standard.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
No, but he may well push several gigabytes of data in the form of large uncompressed files over a secured wired network for work like I do, something that makes even the latest AC standard choke and drop packets like a drunk waitress with an inner ear infection and crap high heels. Are YOU capable of understanding that some professionals use their Pro designated laptops for something heavier than Netflix and email?

Has the "Pro" version of these laptops even shipped yet? Only the non-touch bar is out. That isn't a pro unit for big guys like you. I haven't even seen an on hands review of the real versions yet. So the presence of a couple of third party dongles really doesn't seem like much of an issue. I'm sure sufficient dongles will be available by the time the laptops are. Or maybe you wait two more weeks or something like that. It is meaningless in the scheme of a laptop which should last for many years.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
The Galaxy S7 is still micro-USB. I think Apple will go there, but not just yet.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
I purchased the following on November 1, 2016 from Apple.com and paid the following:

$19.00 - USB-C to USB Adapter
$49.00 - Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter
$49.00 - SanDisk Extreme Pro SD UHS-II Card USB-C Reader

I just got off the phone with 1-800-MY-APPLE. I asked for the sales department, explained the situation of the price reductions, gave them my web order number...within 5 minutes they gave me a credit back to my credit card for the $60 difference.

I ENCOURAGE EVERYONE THAT ALREADY PURCHASED THESE OVERPRICED DONGLES TO CALL NOW!
I've been on the phone with (inept) Apple for almost 50 mins now. At this rate, it isn't worth the ****ing refund.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.