Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sn00p

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
Spoke to Apple chat and he said that he'd just got an email about it and that we would be getting an email next week telling us about the refund as I bought it on the 31st.

sounds like we will all be getting automatic refunds on the difference.

Reactions: dysamoria

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Hi Timmy,
Remember when Steve reduced the price of the iPhone 1 by 33% after a few months on the market because they ran out early adopters. Now it's time to reduce the MBP by 33% to bring on the big crowd of people waiting to buy it.

Even if they did, the TB3 "issue" and the USB3 wifi dropping has turned me enough off, that I'll wait till next model (unless my 2011 model drops dead). Maybe they improve the USB3 situation, wifi access points seems to have a solution to reduce the issue to almost zero (according to the link in the wifi issue thread).

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
New PC ad...

Guy sets down his Windows Portable and plugs something in and begins working.

A different guy sets down a MacBook Pro, gets out an adapter and plugs it in, gets out another adapter and plugs it into the first adapter, gets out a 3rd adapter and plugs it into the 2nd adapter, gets out his device and plugs it into the last adapter.

Camera pans out, and behold the inelegant mess around the Mac.

Meanwhile, the PC user is already done with his task and walking away. The Mac user having only just gotten his machine started up.

MacBook Pro, thin and light because you need the extra space in your bag (for all the adapters).

This really is going to be the easiest Mac ever for PC makers to compete against.

tshort

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2007
(Hopefully) managed to get credited for the USB-C -> USB-A and Thunderbolt 3 -> Thunderbolt 2 adapters via online chat.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Apple makes a zillion $ on their patented lightening cables that fall apart unless handled with the utmost care. They're never going to put generic USB-C in an iPhone. That would be throwing away millions & millions of dollars. Never gunna happen.
The iPhone plug will always be proprietary.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
since there is a price drop wonder if i should get the usb c to lightning adapter even though i got the usb c to usb a adapter?

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
Many people will be ignorant to the fact that you do NOT have to get your USB-C adapters from Apple. It's not a proprietary standard like Lightning. My $30 Anker 3 USB3.0 + 1 HDMI + usb-c power adapter I got from Amazon works perfectly on the macbook.

Only fools shop from Apple.com for non-Apple stuff. Even Apple stuff I prefer to get from resellers for cheaper.

Last edited:

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Apple should really include some of these in the box. It would definitely make the transition less jarring.

That is the biggest slap in the face IMO. You cannot freaking plug an iPhone or iPad into a MB or MBP without a freaking adapter that does not come with the laptop. It's truly utter & complete douchebaggery & ignorance. At the VERY least they should include the now $9 standard USB adapter.

TSM

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
New PC ad...

A different guy sets down a MacBook Pro, gets out an adapter and plugs it in, gets out another adapter and plugs it into the first adapter, gets out a 3rd adapter and plugs it into the 2nd adapter, gets out his device and plugs it into the last adapter.

Meanwhile, the PC user is already done with his task and walking away. The Mac user having only just gotten his machine started up.

MacBook Pro, thin and light because you need the extra space in your bag (for all the adapters).

This really is going to be the easiest Mac ever for PC makers to compete against.[/QUOTE
New PC ad...

This really is going to be the easiest Mac ever for PC makers to compete against.
Point over there.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
350-324_HR_0.jpg

9 bucks isn't too bad. time to make my own usb-c to lightning adapter.

mtcowdog

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2010
I'm not going to complain here. YMMV. Lower prices on necessary dongles, great. I'll likely order a few. The future never comes without hurdles along the way. I don't begrudge those who see this differently.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Sorry, but if your not using wireless by now, i have no sympathy for you. DO you also wash your dishes by hand instead of using a device called a dishwasher?? LOL :p

Some of us have gigabit internet at home and would like to... you know... take advantage of that? And even if you don't have gigabit internet, unless you're reasonably near your router, you're likely not maxing out your e.g. 150Mbit internet connection. Also, wifi is unreliable. Everyone knows that. And latency is worse..

The list of reasons is endless.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-C.
2007: Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces 30-pin port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-mini.
2012: Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-micro.
2016: Does anyone else feel like it's complete bull crap that that Apple embraces USB-C on macs, but still forces lightning port on the phones when the standard for all new phones is in fact, USB-C.

Reactions: netwalker

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
Whoops, looks like they put the discount on the new LG displays too.

Ordered myself one at 25% off.

I wonder if Apple will honour it.

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
Many people will be ignorant to the fact that you do NOT have to get your USB-C adapters from Apple. It's not a proprietary standard like Lightning. My $30 Anker 3 USB3.0 + 1 HDMI + usb-c power adapter works perfectly on the macbook.

There's a number of bad USB-C cables/dongles out there, including some that actually fry machines. Buyer beware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.