Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
They fit really well for me. Keep in mind that as Apple said they are trying to make something that fits the majority of ears. You just have an ear shape which doesn't match the majority of people.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
They don't stay in my ear either. keep falling out.... I can't even use them for podcasts. I am going to stick with the $79 Apple in-ear headphones for now.

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Damn things keep falling out of my ear. Yes, the sound is much improved, but the minute I do a sudden movement or even try to adjust the volume on mic they fall out.

I will stick to the tried and tested Soundmagic E10's minus the mic. They stay in my ear...

It's apples fault you have defective ears? :eek:

scottperezfox

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
Like many others, I found these new earpods sound much better, but fall out. I actually bought these off the shelf to replace the Phillips in-ear headphones I was using (which use rubber tips to stay nicely in the ears, by the way.) The earpods fit in my ears, but because they are so slick, they will wiggle loose.

I managed to create a temporary fix by wrapping a few thin strips of double-sided tape around each earpod. Two strips each about 3mm wide seems to have done the job, they definitely feel more firm. Not sure what will happen in time, as the tape becomes less sticky and/or coated with skin oils and ear wax. At least it's cheap to replace.

An ideal solution would be some kind of spray-on rubber, which would only add a fraction of a millimeter in thickness, but would change the slickness of the plastic surface. Does such a thing exist?

leobard

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2012
....because they are so slick, they will wiggle loose.
exactly same experience here. its the slickness. The old iPhone earphones had rubber around the rim...

I managed to create a temporary fix by wrapping a few thin strips of double-sided tape around each earpod. Two strips each about 3mm wide seems to have done the job, they definitely feel more firm. Not sure what will happen in time, as the tape becomes less sticky and/or coated with skin oils and ear wax. At least it's cheap to replace.

An ideal solution would be some kind of spray-on rubber, which would only add a fraction of a millimeter in thickness, but would change the slickness of the plastic surface. Does such a thing exist?
Thanks for the double-sided tape tip. Just did the same. It feels uber-awkward to plug the sticky - now even more bulky - earpods in with the double-sided tape, but it seems to work.

The spray-on rubber would be 3M "spray mount" adhesive spray. It is used to make flipchart paper sticky to attach creative stuff to them during meetings. I used spray mount for a big photo gallery.
http://www.3m.com/product/information/Spray-Mount-Artist-Adhesive.html

Or the sugru suggested by redrob2 and lifehacker.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Ive had my new iPhone 5 since release date and still havent touched the new headphones lol.
Maybe one day Ill actually unwind them and insert them into my ears :)

CAltman4859

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
perfect for you and you can keep your apple earbuds

I would try a pair of hearbudz. Its only like 7 bucks and work with apple earbuds and other regular earbuds as well, save your money. These are safe for wearing in public plus have great sound, they are a clip that reposition your earbud to the outside of your ear, up and around so that they wont fall out, ive worn them sleeping, excersizing, etc and have never had a problem....and they make great gifts lol.

I have had them for like 7 months and they are awesome, very cheap so and worth it to me, very durable, wont hurt to try them out, and they have different colors too, I just bought some for stocking stuffers for my sisters :)

Koopaflower

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2012
How could anyone like these?! I just got the new iPod touch 5th generation... Very disappointed in the earpods. First off obviously no volume controller... Well when I got my third generation three years ago it came with a volume controller!! Secondly... I prefer my old headphones over the new ones. The quality on the earpods are horrible... This is the quality I hate and drives me away from headphones. But since they're new, I'm trying to get used to them. I like how they don't fall out, hate the quality of the music that it gives off nonetheless.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
new ear buds are total garbage- they don't even come close to fitting my ears- totally useless....

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Fits nicely into my ear and hasn't fell out before. Audio quality is quite decent too.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Damn things keep falling out of my ear. Yes, the sound is much improved, but the minute I do a sudden movement or even try to adjust the volume on mic they fall out.

I will stick to the tried and tested Soundmagic E10's minus the mic. They stay in my ear...

You must have weird shaped ears.

shin93

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2012
Fits nicely into my ear and hasn't fell out before. Audio quality is quite decent too.

this. mine doesn't fall, and it actually fits really nice in my ear. and im surprised the sound quality is pretty good too.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Audio quality is decent and doesn't fall out of my ear either, but my ears start to ache after 10 minutes of use.

ARSkemp

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2011
I actually bought a second set of the earpods to keep at work. I love them.

What I wanted out of earbuds:

- Not sound isolating. I need to use them at work and still be able to somewhat hear when someone speaks to me. This rules out pretty much all in-ear options.
- Mic + volume/pause buttons. I switch between listening to music and talking on calls quite a lot. I also enjoy the option of skipping tracks via the in-line remote.
- Comfortable enough to wear for an ~ 2 hours

The earpods are fantastic. They fit my ears better than any other earbuds I have ever owned. Like Apple's previous generation the in line remote works as one would expect. I think this is the closest I can get to the in ear variety without having sound completely isolated (the issue I have with most of them). Sound is better than there previous generation as well, although if I want sound quality I choose to wear full size headphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.