Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clivegriffiths

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2007
Press release:

Apple's iTunes Store (http://www.itunes.com) is the first online music store to receive EMI's new premium downloads. Apple has announced that iTunes will make individual AAC format tracks available from EMI artists at twice the sound quality of existing downloads, with their DRM removed, at a price of $1.29/€1.29/£0.99. iTunes will continue to offer consumers the ability to pay $0.99/€0.99/£0.79 for standard sound quality tracks with DRM still applied. Complete albums from EMI Music artists purchased on the iTunes Store will automatically be sold at the higher sound quality and DRM-free, with no change in the price. Consumers who have already purchased standard tracks or albums with DRM will be able to upgrade their digital music for $0.30/€0.30/£0.20 per track. All EMI music videos will also be available on the iTunes Store DRM-free with no change in price.
Actually thats not too bad. Was expecting double the price, but at just $0.30/€0.30/£0.20 difference and no difference on albums, thats really not too much of a big deal. Lets hope that this now leads the way to other labels doing the same!!!!

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
But if this is true ... I am actually more furious and think people will turn even more to piracy ...

First we buy crippled tracks ... then we shall pay more to uncripple them ??? yikes ...

It's not THAT bad. You can get the DRM'ed songs for .99. Or you can get the un-DRM'ed songs for 1.29. If you already have the DRM'ed song, you can upgrade to un-DRM'ed version by paying the price-difference between the two. So you are not paying any extra when compared to purchasing the un-DRM'ed version in the first place.

Also, albums are sold un-DRM'ed and with high bitrate by default, and the price stays the same.

peharri

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2003
the big questions is - how much extra is this premium?

$1.50 for double the sound quality and no DRM is a price worth paying IMO. Anymore than that then forget it.

From the PR:

Apple's iTunes Store (http://www.itunes.com) is the first online music store to receive EMI's new premium downloads. Apple has announced that iTunes will make individual AAC format tracks available from EMI artists at twice the sound quality of existing downloads, with their DRM removed, at a price of $1.29/€1.29/£0.99. iTunes will continue to offer consumers the ability to pay $0.99/€0.99/£0.79 for standard sound quality tracks with DRM still applied. Complete albums from EMI Music artists purchased on the iTunes Store will automatically be sold at the higher sound quality and DRM-free, with no change in the price. Consumers who have already purchased standard tracks or albums with DRM will be able to upgrade their digital music for $0.30/€0.30/£0.20 per track. All EMI music videos will also be available on the iTunes Store DRM-free with no change in price.

I assume "double the sound quality" means double the bitrate.

I wonder if Apple'll make this available to their independent publishers who have been screaming for a DRM-free option.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
So, if I but a DRM'd single from iTMS for $.99 and later decide to upgrade to the full album for $9.99, I will get the higher quality non-DRM edition, right?

Looks like a ploy to get people to buy complete albums, which is one of the things RIAA complained about in the first place [under the guise of 'losing the integrity of the album format' :rolleyes: :p].

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Sounds like iTunes albums will still be sold at $9.99 and get the benefit of no DRM PLUS higher quality.

I am sold!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
yay no drm!!!

INcluding music videos!!!

Yay I love the good the bad and the queen

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
oh .. no price difference between DRM / DRM free albums .. they want to push album sales again ...

(not in the press release .. but the guy just said that)

Gump

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Virginia
You may or may not realize it in the heat of this amazing moment for consumers,
but we are witnessing a HUGE moment in the history of all music.
This is the beginning of a change in how music is viewed, heard and treated.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
So how on earth do you figure out which of your iTunes songs can be upgraded -or will iTunes be adding an 'Upgrade your Album' feature like the 'Complete your Album' feature?

There will inevitably be a *very* easy way to do it. It's Apple!

The DRM doesn't bother me at all but for any tracks I can upgrade I'm going to. Mostly to show the other record labels, "Hey... I dig not having DRM on my tracks."

Edit: Wow! Wikipedia is fast. It's already been updated. Crazy kids and your wikis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.