Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lasereyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I initially was skeptical, but as someone pointed out, a troll would ride out his attention for as long as he can. It seems he genuinely began fearing for his job and had the thread removed. Another member also mentioned in the thread that he seemed to have Apple store knowledge that isn't openlu available to the public.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
If 20 is true, I'm arriving at 9pm. Certainly I'm not happy, but at 9pm, if I'm 10th in line or less, I'll stay. If not, I'll come back in the morning.

I would be inclined to disbelieve that claim. One of my friends used to work at an Apple store and she told me they never are privy to that kind of information. They show up on launch morning and they're told what they have, but never before.

If you think it through, that's logical, and legally wise for many reasons. No one needs to know that information, especially when you have mobs of amped up people outside your glass doors.

Steve686

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2007
US>FL>Miami/Dade>Sunny Isles Beach>Condo
The statement about the 20 phones was pertaining to what he called a Tier 3 Store.

His statement also said that a Tier 1 Store is Apple's designation for "busiest", and 3 would be in the area of a somewhat well trafficked store.

However you want to quantify what this means in terms of your frequented Apple Store is up to you, but I would say there will be stores definitely with more than 20. Captain Obvious statement, I know.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
The thread on here has since been deleted but an alleged Apple employee was giving an AMA that revealed that his high traffic store would be receiving around twenty iphone 6+ of random configurations and carriers. This is terrible news if true!

Compiled by user Tinfoil:

Take away points:
- iPhone 6 + TOTAL inventory for Walk - In's in 20 phones and this includes EVERY carrier unfortunately.
- iPhone 6 and 6 + cases will be readily avaliable
- His Apple Retail Store allowed people to line up at 4am the day of openning in the past. Mall security tends to not allow people inside until 4am.
- VERY LOW stock of iPhone 6 + for example they are pulling from their inventory to create Demo units for people to play with in store on launch day. They NEVER had to do this in the past.
- Apple Stores will be catering to all carrier's payment plans from ATT's NEXT to T-mobile's Jump Plans etc.
- You do not need to setup your new iPhone in store. You may purchase and set it up at home if you like.
- Apple Stores get whats called "Drop Shipments" no idea what that means... Lets just say they dont know when or how many more iPhones they are getting until they are there...

I personally am going to visit my Apple Store tomorrow and try to pry info from the manager Im acquainted with, and depending on what he says, I think those of us without preorders might be better off ordering from the apple site and waiting the three weeks

The number will vary from store to store. The drop shipments have historically been the store knowing that they will get daily shipments of iPhones without knowing which models or how many. This is pretty standard for an iPhone release.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
Nobody starts a thread with no fear of his job, but then suddenly gets scared off by some fool.

Plus his statement about last year was way off base.

The statement about the 20 phones was pertaining to what he called a Tier 3 Store.

His statement also said that a Tier 1 Store is Apple's designation for "busiest", and 3 would be in the area of a somewhat well trafficked store.

However you want to quantify what this means in terms of your frequented Apple Store is up to you, but I would say there will be stores definitely with more than 20. Captain Obvious statement, I know.

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Here is the Grassy Knoll Theory, not saying I believe it! LOL

I have seen a few weird posts by new members claiming store managers are telling them they won't have any 6+'s at launch. I even saw 2 post from 2 different members, that sounded like it came from the same person.

Seems like there are a few people on MR that are trying to scare everybody from camping out. This employee guy 100% sounded legit, but you never know!

I called Apple yesterday to ask a question about the 6+ SIM card and the gentleman offered to search all of Dallas/Fort Worth Apple stores for 6+s and he told me that NONE of the stores would have any on launch day. I am so glad I preordered but I feel sorry for folks that are camping out in hopes of getting a 6+

Now, hear me out-

MAYBE.. the people on forums are seen as a little wiser than the average bear, asking questions about availability and trying to make rational decisions to go stand in line or just order online. Your average American, sad to say, is a loose cannon with a short fuse and a few too few crayons in the box if you get my drift. Perhaps the rumors on HERE about no 6+ stock are true and an attempt to steer the enlightened ones away from a potentially very dangerous situation at physical stores when the crazies realize there are no 6+ phones to be had.

Apple is employing internet shills to keep y'all safe. Heed the warnings and for the love of God DO NOT GO TO A PHYSICAL STORE ON FRIDAY LEST YOU BE TRAMPLED AND BEATEN THE LIKES OF WHICH AREN'T EVEN WITNESSED ON BLACK FRIDAY! :p

Just a theory.

barbourdg

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2002
dallas
I may be one of the people barbourdg is talking about. I posted about this yesterday.
I called Apple yesterday to ask a question about the 6+ SIM card and the gentleman offered to search all of Dallas/Fort Worth Apple stores for 6+s and he told me that NONE of the stores would have any on launch day. I am so glad I preordered but I feel sorry for folks that are camping out in hopes of getting a 6+.

A customer service rep checked all the inventories in Dallas and confidentially told you that none of the stores in Dallas, TX would have any 6+'s at launch. So out of the 4 or so Apple Stores in Dallas, everybody camping for a 6+ will get nothing? Whoever you talked to surely was forthcoming.

IndoX

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
Personally I didn't believe him. He claimed last year pre-orders were taken in two at a time. There were no pre-orders last year.
Weren't there 5C pre-orders last year?

Anyways, it's an honest mistake. Every year there has been pre-orders except last year and you expect an apple employee (who doesn't have to worry about availability) going to remember that?

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
No way your info is true. That's bogus
A customer service rep checked all the inventories in Dallas and confidentially told you that none of the stores in Dallas, TX would have any 6+'s at launch. So out of the 4 or so Apple Stores in Dallas, everybody camping for a 6+ will get nothing? Whoever you talked to surely was forthcoming.

doeboynmek

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
I think everyone here is wanting to believe that there truly is stock that they are doing everything they can to discredit this guy who genuinely seemed scared off by all the people saying he's going to get fired. IMHO.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
If he was real, why did he wait until the 4th question to discuss inventory. If that was me, I would have opened up the thread discussing the availability of the 6 plus. Nobody cares what color shirts they are planning on wearing.

Weren't there pre-orders for the 5C last year? and the iPad? The guy seemed legit to me.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I'm skeptical. Every Apple employee I talk to says they have no idea about stock and seem very honest about it.

doeboynmek

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
If he was real, why did he wait until the 4th question to discuss inventory. If that was me, I would have opened up the thread discussing the availability of the 6 plus. Nobody cares what color shirts they are planning on wearing.

Wasn't it an AMA? It wasn't a stock availability thread, AMAs go wherever the posters want them to go, not what the OP wants.

JOHNGAETANO

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Akron, Ohio
The guy was full of it.
BS
I think everyone here is wanting to believe that there truly is stock that they are doing everything they can to discredit this guy who genuinely seemed scared off by all the people saying he's going to get fired. IMHO.

----------

Indians, CAVS, Steelers, Buckeyes
Statement about last year? I didn't see that.

Browns fan? Indians? caVs?? Blue Jackets?? BUCKEYES!?!?!

I am. :D

spazma7ik

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2009
Wasn't it an AMA? It wasn't a stock availability thread, AMAs go wherever the posters want them to go, not what the OP wants.

While I agree with you, I don't think he was trolling, I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.. That was obviously going to be the first question anyone was going to ask.

doeboynmek

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
While I agree with you, I don't think he was trolling, I'm going to play Devil's advocate here.. That was obviously going to be the first question anyone was going to ask.

True, maybe it was a way to get some credibility, I don't think he was trolling, there was a lot of things the OP mentioned that I had no idea wtf they meant, lol.

Plus after everyone started talking about him getting fired he stopped answering, he was pretty quick about answering everyone's question and then the thread disappeared.

thisdj78

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2014
Columbus, OH

I am one of those who believes it, even if the source is suspect. I've been expecting this scenario, which is why I am of the group that suggests not canceling 6+ pre-orders in favor of chancing at the store.

joshmv

macrumors member
May 14, 2007
I believe he said they'd be getting some blind shipments tomorrow, meaning that they have no idea what exactly is coming in but the ~20 was what they already had.

He was legit, but if Apple can time the shipments to us, they can time the shipments to their own stores as well.

EDIT - found it, here's the quote from page 2...

"so we won't know until tomorrow when we have a couple of drop blind shipments coming in."

Lasereyes

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2014
I believe he said they'd be getting some blind shipments tomorrow, meaning that they have no idea what exactly is coming in but the ~20 was what they already had.

He was legit, but if Apple can time the shipments to us, they can time the shipments to their own stores as well.

EDIT - found it, here's the quote from page 2...

"so we won't know until tomorrow when we have a couple of drop blind shipments coming in."

Edited title to reflect this

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.