Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iAppleBen

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
Am I right in thinking that Power Nap can only download software updates from the Mac App Store?

Rather than, if you purchase an application from the Mac App Store, you can put your Macbook to sleep and it'll be done by the time you wake it back up?

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Support MacBooks with hard drives while plugged in? Please!

It seems like it would be a simple task to make other Macs work with PowerNap, even if it only worked while plugged in, to sync my mail and calendars and photos would be great.

Right now, I don't let my MacBook ever go to sleep. Why? Because I want to be able to grab it and go (and have my mail and calendar and other stuff all synced). If it supported PowerNap, I'd probably let it fall asleep after an hour (even if I set it for 3 hours, it's still better than being on 24 hours a day!).

Gary

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
I don't understand your logic. Sure, there might be a couple of bugs here and there, but you get to use the computer in the interim to do other tasks. For example, take Power Nap. Not having it was no big deal. You get the updates when you log back in.

But if you use a computer that later gets a stability update, that means that it was considered "unstable" before. People got lucky with the MBPR, but there is always a risk of much worse things happening.

And there's nothing that I could do with a MacBook Pro Retina that I couldn't do with a normal Mac, so I think holding off for 2 weeks is a fair price to pay as insurance.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe

Soccer5se

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2011
South Korea
No issues here 2.3/8/256,

That was the first time that I've heard the fans. I was starting to think that there wasn't any lol

Rich

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
AFAIK, it has nothing to do with solid state drives. It's the flash built into the new laptops.

One way or another its still Sort of SSD, so I guess its should be able to get power nap on other models, the problem with no SSD drives would be heat generated without fans enabled (maybe a noise as well..) ?

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
It seems like it would be a simple task to make other Macs work with PowerNap, even if it only worked while plugged in, to sync my mail and calendars and photos would be great.

Ya that one is hard to understand. I think it's clear they want to push people to adopt the new laptops with flash storage.

----------

One way or another its still Sort of SSD, so I guess its should be able to get power nap on other models, the problem with no SSD drives would be heat generated without fans enabled (maybe a noise as well..) ?

For the tasks PowerNap does, that hardly seems to be a problem. My guess is powering those drives/devices requires much more energy and therefore consumes too much power in their opinion. Of course even that is debatable. The Dell XPS 13, if I'm not mistaken, using Intel's Smart Connect (as Apple is surely doing in Power Nap), manages these types of tasks in Windows 7 and has socketed RAM and an SSD.

If Power Nap is an exclusive feature to Mac Books with flash storage and soldered RAM, it is probably because Apple wants to push those devices instead of the older designs.

HowEver

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
Toronto
Really? People think "Power Nap" is enough to push people to buy Macs with soldered RAM and flash drives (like flash drives aren't a reason in themselves to buy a computer)? I don't think that quite sways people..

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
And this is why I don't buy brand-new stuff. It's better to just wait a little for all of the fixes.

that doesn't make sense. anyone that owned it would of had the same experience if they didn't.

it's like the people rallying together to not buy gas on one day only to buy it the next day.

bdavis222

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
And this is why I don't buy brand-new stuff. It's better to just wait a little for all of the fixes.

Umm... This is not a fix. This is a firmware update that enables Power Nap. It doesn't matter when you upgrade to Mountain Lion, you'll still have to update your firmware to use Power Nap.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
Really? People think "Power Nap" is enough to push people to buy Macs with soldered RAM and flash drives (like flash drives aren't a reason in themselves to buy a computer)? I don't think that quite sways people..

On it's own, no. But with other features it adds up.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Umm... This is not a fix. This is a firmware update that enables Power Nap. It doesn't matter when you upgrade to Mountain Lion, you'll still have to update your firmware to use Power Nap.

I'm not talking about Mountain Lion.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
After three hours with the SMC Update I am pretty sure that the slight and rare graphic problems are gone.

I had them under 10.8 (not with the preinstalled 10.7, but under 10.7 I saw the beachball ONCE for two seconds, never again since then) mainly in Safari (in the WordPress.com online browser editor p.e.) once or twice in an hour. At one time it was so bad (again another browser editor of a strange forum software) that I even thought something will crash soon (but it didn't and the glitches—parts of the displayed image got stuck during scrolling—healed themselves sooner or later).

I bet Apple fixes a LOT of things in such "small" updates and doesn't mention them in the official documents. The SMC Update is highly recommended for rMBPs even if you don't need or care about Power Nap!

The machine is a beast. It's so awesome fast, I still can't believe it. I have it for three weeks now and every day I am more fascinated with that piece of hard- and software. I can't move my eyes off that gorgeous screen. When I look at my old MBP (2007) after some time I'm marveling that this resolution was the standard for decades. It's not revolutionary, but a huge step in evolution.

A brand new notebook with advanced technical standards, a grand upgrade for a new operating system version, a firmware update—and everything runs smooth and fine. Unbelievable. Chapeaux, Apple! Everything stays better.

Excellent. Exclusive. Best computer of all time, best os of all time.

Keynoteus

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
No longer see update

Has this update been pulled? I no longer see it as an update in the app store on Mountain Lion.

Keynoteus

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
There is a section in the app store for updates. It was showing as an update for me for a minute and then disappeared.

somebody else

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2011
NJ
I was noticing that it took a while for my MBPR to wake up after lifting the screen up, much longer than I anticipated and longer than older machines. Haven't updated yet, I'll see if it fixes the issue hope I don't get any pink screens as mentioned above.

onicon

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
Is there any way to enable Time Machine Backups while on battery power? It would be so convenient, being able to leave my MacBook Air in my bag whilst it would do its thing, thus having a current backup at home an only pulling it out at work.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Is there any way to enable Time Machine Backups while on battery power? It would be so convenient, being able to leave my MacBook Air in my bag whilst it would do its thing, thus having a current backup at home an only pulling it out at work.

Nope, plug it in.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
How does this show up in software update when all updates now in 10.8 are done through the App Store?

The Software Update menu option is still there. It takes you to the App Store. Software Update is no longer a standalone program, but an integrated part of the App Store.

Sir Al

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2005
Vancouver, Canada
After this update I noticed Apple's battery charge indicator reaches 100% and says it's charged even though the actual charge is still at 95%. The adaptor light goes from orange to green, but it still keeps charging until it's truly at 100%. This behaviour can be noticed with other battery indicators (XRG, System Profiler), and I suspect it is for making the battery last longer.

This is with a rMBP running ML btw.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California

During ML testing with this feature, the problem was the fact that the drive has to spin up to start, which not only consumes more power, but it's much slower compared to an SSD since the feature:

-Updates TM
-Updates software
-Updates iCloud data

SSD's get this done much, much faster, and it only makes sense.

I do agree, however, that this feature should be enabled on more recent models especially (at least 2011 MBP's, at least those with SSD's equipped either by default or currently).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.