Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kemo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
During ML testing with this feature, the problem was the fact that the drive has to spin up to start, which not only consumes more power, but it's much slower compared to an SSD since the feature:

-Updates TM
-Updates software
-Updates iCloud data

SSD's get this done much, much faster, and it only makes sense.

I do agree, however, that this feature should be enabled on more recent models especially (at least 2011 MBP's, at least those with SSD's equipped either by default or currently).
As Apple always do, they "enable" new features just for the newest products ( Siri - just 4S, etc.) So I'm a bit skeptic they wont even care about supporting this feature on at least late 2011 or later MBP's with SSD installed (no matter if it's 3rd party or Apple's one).

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
As Apple always do, they "enable" new features just for the newest products ( Siri - just 4S, etc.) So I'm a bit skeptic they wont even care about supporting this feature on at least late 2011 or later MBP's with SSD installed (no matter if it's 3rd party or Apple's one).

They did update the 2010 MBA with Lion Internet Recovery (or whatever it's called) a few months back, so there's hope for older machines, I reckon. We'll just have to wait and see.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
They did update the 2010 MBA with Lion Internet Recovery (or whatever it's called) a few months back, so there's hope for older machines, I reckon. We'll just have to wait and see.

I think there's far too many variables that will make them say no to anything other than the machines they already have Power Nap enabled on. It's a possibility, but from what I've seen personally and what others have tested and seen, I don't think it'll change for any past machines.

----------

Exactly my thoughts.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Is there any way to enable Time Machine Backups while on battery power? It would be so convenient, being able to leave my MacBook Air in my bag whilst it would do its thing, thus having a current backup at home an only pulling it out at work.

System Preferences, Time Machine, Options, "Backup while on battery power".

----------

I was noticing that it took a while for my MBPR to wake up after lifting the screen up, much longer than I anticipated and longer than older machines. Haven't updated yet, I'll see if it fixes the issue hope I don't get any pink screens as mentioned above.

The "pink screens" were most likely someone playing around with development tools. There is a feature for software developers that allows to automatically show all non-retina quality graphics in pink, so as a developer you turn this on and you see immediately all the graphics you need to update in your app. Very useful to see that you didn't miss any low-quality graphics in your app.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
System Preferences, Time Machine, Options, "Backup while on battery power".

That only works if the laptop is on. He was asking about backing up to Time Machine with the laptop off, and so far as I know, that feature only works when the machine is plugged-in.

pmas76

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
Can Anyone Confirm That The Power Nap Features Actually Work?

I updated my MBPR yesterday afternoon, and since then, I have no evidence that the Power Nap features actually works. Specifically, "Find My Mac" and "Time Machine Backups" are definately NOT working. I tested both while the lid was closed and the computer was plugged in...and no dice. I searched online and apparently I am not the only one with these issues.

Thoughts?

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
I updated my MBPR yesterday afternoon, and since then, I have no evidence that the Power Nap features actually works. Specifically, "Find My Mac" and "Time Machine Backups" are definately NOT working. I tested both while the lid was closed and the computer was plugged in...and no dice. I searched online and apparently I am not the only one with these issues.

Thoughts?

the last backup for me reports completing after i put the macbook air to sleep so I'd say it's working

pmas76

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2011
the last backup for me reports completing after i put the macbook air to sleep so I'd say it's working

How about people with the MacBook Pro Retina? Is "Time Capsule" and "Find My Mac" working for you guys when your computer is plugged in and lid is closed?

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
How about people with the MacBook Pro Retina? Is "Time Capsule" and "Find My Mac" working for you guys when your computer is plugged in and lid is closed?

Nope. I put it to sleep last night at midnight and woke it up this afternoon. Time Machine reported last backup was before i had put it to sleep.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
I plan on buying a new macbook air, I am so going to love this power nap,
I guess by the time I buy it I should have a timecap by then.

I also guess it would be fully worked out with the bugs and such, I don't do a whole lot with laptops anymore, since I got my imac,

Would this feature even come to desktop macs? It would be nice, because then my computer can have a time to sleep.

hirshnoc

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
The Software Update menu option is still there. It takes you to the App Store. Software Update is no longer a standalone program, but an integrated part of the App Store.

I know the menu option is still there, but searching for new updates is no longer done by the 'Software Update' application itself, as the App Store 'Update' feature seems to have taken over the role of pushing out Apple updates and developer updates to purchased Apps. What I was wondering is why in the graphic was the update shown to work under Software Update which has been reassigned to the App Store in 10.8. Unless this is somehow a user-changeable feature.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
I know the menu option is still there, but searching for new updates is no longer done by the 'Software Update' application itself, as the App Store 'Update' feature seems to have taken over the role of pushing out Apple updates and developer updates to purchased Apps. What I was wondering is why in the graphic was the update shown to work under Software Update which has been reassigned to the App Store in 10.8. Unless this is somehow a user-changeable feature.

Valid question. Perhaps the firmware update is also being pushed to Retina MBPs that are running Lion, though the feature itself won't work under Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.