Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Having done the contracting gig myself, I don't find using an adapter as a big deal. Bigger issues IMO is that the rMBP screen is still more glossy than the Macbook Airs...

Yeah, I'm with you on that too. I bought my MBP with a matt screen for that very reason. Glossy is a big no no for me. I don't care if its '75% less reflective then the previous model' it's still 1000000% more reflective than a matt screen and my office has windows! (slight over exaggeration there, but you get the idea).

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Here's to hoping for a 17" rMBP with Ethernet.

In the UK, it seems they have finally sold out of 17" MBPs. Took them ages to get rid of the last ones. I don't think you will ever see a 17" MBP again.

I need a 17" MacBook Pro!! Please Apple wake up you're losing your loyal customer base who has been with you for decades!

See above. All those loyal customers who _need_ a 17" MacBook Pro purchased that many that it took Apple a year to get rid of all the refurbished ones.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
ITYM "Ultrabooks"

Didn't Intel announce that touchscreen capability is mandatory for the Haswell processor? I read that they can get around it if they are willing to pay full price, but would apple do that? Or am I misunderstanding that requirement?

I think it's the 2nd gen ultrabooks that need that, not just a haswell cpu.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Apple "Expected" to ramp up production? Anything concrete behind that expectation, or just obvious consequence of rumors of rumors of what tends to happen this time every year anyway?

----------

they might come with the Haswell USB bug in it
Somehow I don't think both Intel and Apple are that stupid.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Give me an amazing 17" inch MacBook, amazing Tim. Or this year won't be amazing.

I'd love to see a 17" rMBP. Can you imagine how much screen space there would be in the full-resolution "hack" mode?

But, I don't think there's a 16:10, 17" hiDPI panel out there currently that would fit the bill. They could make a 17" version of the QWXGA+, and offer a display setting for the full resolution mode (which would be more practical/comfortable at that size). But the "retina" modes would suffer a bit from lower DPI.

The next logical step up would be WQUXGA, at 3840x2400, but nobody makes it.

Also, sales for the 17" were a really small fraction of MBP sales from what I recall. So we may not ever see this.

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
Here's to hoping for a 17" rMBP with Ethernet.

You...and 6 other people. Which is why it doesn't exist anymore.

Along with the new CPU, because of this (https://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/0...cs-will-offer-802-11ac-gigabit-wi-fi-support/), we might see the new Macs come with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac as well.

All the Apple products after the launch of these new Macs should support 802.11ac, and so do all the Apple accessories (e.g. AirPort Express/Extreme, Time Capsule) and that Apple hobby (Apple TV).

Oh yeah...for all of those 300Mbps+ networks people subscribe to.

I think it was a mistake for Apple to ditch a physical ethernet port. I know they won't put this back, but for me I won't be buying another MBP. I work as a contractor and the majority of sites I go to don't have effective wireless, or if it is good it's only a guest network and no good for development work. Plenty of sites are happy for contractors to use their own laptops on the physical network though and having to cart around an ethernet adaptor is just plain crap.

It's all nice having a 'retina' display and the latest CPU, but when basic connectivity is missing the design is flawed.

Ethernet ports are a tradeoff, and on portable devices, a good trade off. Plus, you have an adapter. You also have Thunderbolt, and if your laptop sits on desk, you are BETTER off having a Thunderbolt hub to connect desk peripherals including ethernet.

This works out well, as I was already planning on purchasing a new Air in June/July anyway.

My only question is, if the Haswell specs are allegedly better for battery life, how much better can we expect?

Not much. But what different does it make? Notebooks are useful because of portability...not because of battery. I rarely if ever use my MBP without it plugged in, because its a work machine. Do real work on any Apple laptop and try to make it last more than an hour.

Give me an amazing 17" inch MacBook, amazing Tim. Or this year won't be amazing.

Considering they wouldn't sell any, I don't think you're correct.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
but arent discounted previous gen, all refurbs?
Some people consider the refubs better than new: most are harmlessly/barely used returns, run thru the initial high-failure-risk period, individually inspected & repaired to factory standards with domestic sensibilities. If anything is gonna break, it already did and was fixed. May very well be the most reliable :apple: products around.

Zandros

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
lol

You mean an iPad can get a Retina display but not a Macbook Air? Wake up.

I guess it could, but it would probably have crap battery life. The retina iPads have a battery larger than the 11" Air, and just a little bit smaller than the 13". (42.5 Wh compared to 35 Wh and 50 Wh). The rest of the components in the MBA use significantly more power than corresponding components in the iPad.

It's a simple case of where to use the power budget. For the iPad, they focused on the display. For the Air, they focused on performance.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Some people consider the refubs better than new: most are harmlessly/barely used returns, run thru the initial high-failure-risk period, individually inspected & repaired to factory standards with domestic sensibilities. If anything is gonna break, it already did and was fixed. May very well be the most reliable :apple: products around.

But they probably have the worst screens, since so many Macs are returned for uneven / yellow / ghosty screens.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
professionals NEED more storage than 512GB in many cases.
Some do, most don't. If you NEED that much storage in flash form, a portable is probably not your solution. If spinning storage will do, a USB3-connected portable drive will likely do.

:apple: realizes that some adjustments to the platform will drive away some and attract others.

----------

having to cart around an ethernet adaptor is just plain crap.
Having to cart around an ethernet port when most users don't need one is just plain crap.

splitpea

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Among the starlings
1. If you are a 'pro laptop customer' you are using an SSD and probably retina display. If you are not, I'm not sure I would call you a 'pro anything'.

That's quite an assumption! What makes a platter drive non-pro? Or how about people who have an SSD boot drive and an HDD data drive in the same laptop?

2. If you are a 'pro laptop customer' you probably need more than 1TB of space anyway so you have an external storage solution using TB or USB3.

There's a difference between archival space and working files space. A pro photographer, videographer, or designer could easily have a few hundred GB of assets for in-progress projects, and additional drives with terabytes upon terabytes of archives from completed projects.

Having the completed projects archived on an external drive is no big deal because access is infrequent and if they need to be worked on again, you can transfer them back to the internal.

But having to deal with an external drive for files that you need constant access to is irritating and slow at best, and glitchy at worst (when Photoshop starts bitching about saving a file that you opened from an external drive because the drive got accidentally disconnected and reconnected since the last save, or you had to put the laptop to sleep while you move between locations). And every minute spent micromanaging drive space is a minute you can't bill your clients for.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
But they probably have the worst screens, since so many Macs are returned for uneven / yellow / ghosty screens.
Well, that's the nature of the product. Even if it's "well, that's just what product X is like" it's still gone-over in fine detail on the presumption that something is wrong and needs repair, and the device has gone thru the first few days of customer use which is the period of highest failure rates. To wit: it survived this far, and was checked thoroughly, so that's about as good a copy you're gonna get.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I think it was a mistake for Apple to ditch a physical ethernet port. I know they won't put this back, but for me I won't be buying another MBP. I work as a contractor and the majority of sites I go to don't have effective wireless, or if it is good it's only a guest network and no good for development work. Plenty of sites are happy for contractors to use their own laptops on the physical network though and having to cart around an ethernet adaptor is just plain crap.

It's all nice having a 'retina' display and the latest CPU, but when basic connectivity is missing the design is flawed.

Serious? A $25 dongle that allows ethernet connection is the deal breaker that will switch you from Mac OS to Windows? You will give up a retina display, latest CPU, superior build quality, longer battery, better resale, more stable OS, superior visual design, lower weight, etc. just so you don't have to carry an $25 ethernet to USB dongle that weighs two ounces and once attached to the ethernet CORD takes up no room.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I don't want to carry around an external drive, my iTunes and Aperture libraries take up the vast majority of the drive, in fact I have to keep a large percentage of the stuff outside of the libraries and on externals as it is.

My wet dream is having a retina upgrade and being able to remove the superdrive and have 2xtb, then I can always have my flac collection with me as well. :)

What is the business or professional use that you do where your entire iTunes and Aperture libraries are useful to have with you? That was my question. I just don't know any business use where people are leaving their desk to go off site (hence need portability) but also need to bring with them 100s of GBs of files. I'm curious.

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
What is the business or professional use that you do where your entire iTunes and Aperture libraries are useful to have with you? That was my question. I just don't know any business use where people are leaving their desk to go off site (hence need portability) but also need to bring with them 100s of GBs of files. I'm curious.

Video DJ :cool:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
So what CPU speeds/specs might we be looking at with Haswell?

Nominally the same as current; but with more execution units which should help a little with multithreaded code and a lot if you use hyperthreading (that's if you have code that can use eight threads at full blast), FMA (fused multiply-add) which is great for high performance computing, improved integrated graphics, and better power-saving.

----------

Serious? A $25 dongle that allows ethernet connection is the deal breaker that will switch you from Mac OS to Windows? You will give up a retina display, latest CPU, superior build quality, longer battery, better resale, more stable OS, superior visual design, lower weight, etc. just so you don't have to carry an $25 ethernet to USB dongle that weighs two ounces and once attached to the ethernet CORD takes up no room.

$25 is for the Ethernet-to-Thunderbolt cable that can handle Gigabit ethernet without breaking a sweat. $2.50 for USB to Ethernet on eBay, if you just need to connect and extreme speed isn't essential.

----------

There must be a term in psychology for people who read about some supposed fault, and as soon as they read it, their own devices have that fault as well. If MacRumors created a yellow tinted website, Apple would get thousands of returns :D

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Didn't Intel announce that touchscreen capability is mandatory for the Haswell processor? I read that they can get around it if they are willing to pay full price, but would apple do that? Or am I misunderstanding that requirement?

For Intel certified ultrabooks I believe.

SMDBill

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2013
My sentiments as well. A simple plug in between the plug in cord and the computer breaks the deal and the ecosystem. Weight is insignificant and most computer bags would fit it comfortably without giving up and real space. Plus, if you're hooking to an ethernet port for any lengthy work perio, odds are good that the power cord may come out of the bag as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.